Dementor! Dementor! Dementor!

Fuzzual

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This year my wife and friends have requested a Harry Potter Halloween Party at my place. So naturally I started now, as I will definately need the time to put it together.

Now, I'm a Potter fan, but for Halloween I am thinking it needs to be a "Nightmare at Hogwarts" theme, and for that you need Dementors. This is just the start, but I am happy with the results thus far.

As always I welcome your opinions and suggestions. :confused

This is the look I am trying to achieve:

6025518899_ee58705bd6.jpg

And this also was a good reference of how I want the rest of the costume to look:

6025518851_cac872fb93_z.jpg

I had an old super cheap Halloween skeleton, so I started with it:

6025519597_a94dd7318a_z.jpg

6026076010_2dd2e16e5f_z.jpg

Then I applied a bit of painters plastic heated up with a heat gun, sprayed a bit of paint, then applied more plastic. The effect was pretty sweet. The next step is build the base of the Dementor, then add the fabric, and so on.

Sorry the pictures were taken with my phone, I will try and get better shots with my camera later.

6025519157_4f13b1037b_b.jpg

6026075696_5c8f948c54_b.jpg

Wow...this is looking marvelous! Thanks for sharing your techniques so far.

I might look into buying a few yards of cheesecloth or the equivalent loose-thread material, shredding the ends with possibly a wire brush and spraying that the dark gray/black to the skeletal part of your Dementors. If you keep the bottoms soft, you could put a fan on to blow the drapery, to appear to be floating.

Are you going to make several?

Can't wait to see more!

Thanks PotionMistress, we have been entertaining the idea of using the cheesecloth and fabric for the rest of it. I am currently making latex hands out of bic pens, wire, latex, and cotton balls. I wont have pics of that until late next week. You can see how this is done here Haunters Hangout Easy Latex Corpse Hands

I will have a PVC pipe and base, floating cloth out of wire attatched to the PVC pipe (more on that later)

There will be a total of two on display for the party, and then moved into my home theater afterward.

wow! that looks marvelous! and it frankly give me the chills :lol dementors are so creepy, but they are like one of my favorite creatures.

Looks awesome so far! Definitely getting the good dead look :) a minor suggestion, if you can, maybe define the neck a bit more? Make it a bit longer or pull the material in around it? If it's too late, no worries, it definitely looks awesome as is :) Can't wait to see the rest of it!

I was a dementor for Halloween once, and I looked awesome if I do say so myself... I used a lot of just ripped up cloth, use a heavy cloth so that the movement of the piece is smoother.

Looks awesome so far! Definitely getting the good dead look :) a minor suggestion, if you can, maybe define the neck a bit more? Make it a bit longer or pull the material in around it? If it's too late, no worries, it definitely looks awesome as is :) Can't wait to see the rest of it!

agreed, it may be a bit late on the first one, but I can definitely work that out in the second. Thanks for the kind words:cool

Been traveling a ton, and I haven't had time to play, but I am back on track:thumbsup

This is just a small update, we are working on the arms, the stand for it, and getting ready to apply the cloth material. I think the skull needs a bit of work, it does not seem round enough as the images suggest, but we will see as the cloth is added.

As always, any suggestions would be great. I am not going for 100% accuracy, but I don't want it looking like a melted skeleton covered in cloth either :confused

Sorry the photos are a bit fuzzy, i had to use my phone, and it sucks:cry

6191954695_a787b7a245_b.jpg

Notice the shirt:love

6192471304_ea4e05bafc_b.jpg

Arms attached!

6192471478_aeede84aae_b.jpg

I could not agree more, however, after trying to suck in the neck I started making a mess out of it. I'm not sure how I can correct it now. The cheapo skull that is the base, didn't have much of a neck to begin with. I should have made my own so that it would have stood out a bit more.:cry

but you are correct sir.

This is looking VERY scary to me! I think the final touch on it will be the skeletal hands, if you plan to add them. With billowing robes over this....it will be a real hit!

That looks incredibly awesome and super creepy

I actually saw a fabric at my local Joanns fabric this weekend that would be perfect for you.
its in their halloween fabric section- it has a little more substance than cheesecloth but it was all holy and worn out looking- itd be perfect for this

That looks incredibly awesome and super creepy

I actually saw a fabric at my local Joanns fabric this weekend that would be perfect for you.
its in their halloween fabric section- it has a little more substance than cheesecloth but it was all holy and worn out looking- itd be perfect for this

Thank you. I did see plenty of fabrics there that would work. I settled on one (its tough to see, and I'll have to get better pics this weekend) that sort of shimmers, and it melts well with a heat gun. But it was a tough choice.

Great work Fuzzual.

I was inspired myself this past Halloween by your techniques to build two Dementors. I used the bic pen technique for the hands - turned out awesome... I used silicone caulking vs. latex since they were mostly for outdoors. For the head I shaped an old bike helmet and put it on the skull to give it a larger presence and I added a section of Big O pipe for a neck... For the arms a threaded a piece of 1/4 inch flexible copper pipe from hand to hand and through the back... with the final addition of LED lights inside the skull and burlap dressing they were well tricked out for Halloween.

Thanks for the inspiration...

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back