Unlimited Run Deluxe Tron Disc Retrofit Kits

Sorry to be all "n00b13", but what is the "Deluxe Disk"? I assume that this is an add-on mod kit for either a preexisting product or fan-made kit but I can't find any info on it.

If this is the mod-kit, where would I get the disk that would be modded?

Interested in Sam deluxe kit.

Question, would this be compatible with a modified version of the deluxe disk with two "clean" sides attached together?

Would you be open to offering just the electronics kit? With discs featuring clear rubber on the horizon, that's probably what I'd be primiarily interested in:

DSC00078.jpg

Thank you all for your interest. I didn't expect such a vigorous response!

I'd like to take a minute to clarify a few things and answer some of the questions I've been receiving:

Q: How soon will these be available?
A: I'm still in the prototyping process for the Full Kits. I'm hoping to have a full working prototype by the end of next week. I'll periodically post progress pics as things move along. My goal is to get at least a few Full Kits shipped out before the premier. As for the Basic Kits, they are almost ready to go. My first mold broke, so I'm in the process of creating a new one and hope to have it finished this weekend!

Q: How soon can I send payment?
A: I'm not going to accept any payments until I get all the kinks worked out on my prototypes.

Q: How will these be lit?
A: Ultra bright high efficiency LEDs running off a 9v power supply that utilizes the existing batteries that come with the disc.

Q: What colors are you offering?
A: I just want to clarify. All kits use the same translucent white rings and will be lit using different colored LEDs. The Sam/Quorra disc is illuminated white on both inner and outer rings and will be designated as (W/W), the Clu disc will be illuminated in an amberish yellow on both rings (Y/Y), the Rinzler disc will be illuminated orange for the inner "C" ring and white for the outer blade ring (O/W). I'm also open to custom color orders such as blue, green or red.

Q: How much work is involved in modifying the disc to get this retrofit kit installed?
A: For the Basic Kits, it's a snap! Just take the disc apart by unscrewing the two halves and replace the blade ring with the new one. Gently pop out the existing "C" ring with a flat head screwdriver at all access points underneath and the new one should fit snugly in place. Two holes must be drilled halfway into the new "C" ring in order for the existing 2 LEDs to fit inside.

As for the Full Kits, that is another story. To be honest it is going to take some skill and quite a bit of modification, so get ready to fire those dremel tools up! I'll be including step-by-step instructions on how to install the kit the way I did it, but please note that my way is not the only way. I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of variations all you creative artisans come up with!

Q: Would this be compatible with a modified version of the deluxe disk with two "clean" sides attached together?
A: Let me start by saying that this kit is design to illuminate the "C" ring on only one side, but Yes I believe it can be made to illuminate both sides, either by cutting out the ring on the bottom or attaching two top halves together. I've messed around with this option myself but ultimately decided against it. Too many complications arose with this method. Getting both sides to attach and still allow access to remove them for battery changes is quite the obstacle in and of itself. I've also designed the kit to have the LED's in the "C" ring fire directly up through it so the other side won't be as bright unless you modify the kit. I figure from either a costuming perspective mounted on your back or as a display piece your only really going to be seeing one side most of the time anyways.

Q: Will the disc still have the sound function?
A: In short, no. There is very limited space inside the disc and I really didn't care for the sound effects that the disc came with so I recommend tearing out all existing electrical components to make room for the LEDs. This is what I did on my prototype. That doesn't mean it can't be done though.

Q: What kind of lighting effects will the kit have?
A: Using a 3 position toggle switch, you will have the option to have the center "C" ring on only, both the "C" ring and the outer blade on, or everything off.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to answer!

In the meantime, here is a sneak peak at my progress thus far:

d3.jpg

d1.jpg

d2.jpg

d4.jpg

*note: Even though the light appears to have a blueish hue to it in some photos. The light itself is pure white.

Would you be open to offering just the electronics kit? With discs featuring clear rubber on the horizon, that's probably what I'd be primiarily interested in:

I dig that Kevin disc, and the Rinzler disc too! Any idea when they will be available nickytea?

I'd definitely consider offering just the "guts" (electronics).

The only problem I see with the clear is it being too clear, not allowing proper even dissipation of the light.

To see what I'm talking about check out the images below.

Here you can see the difference between the LED's firing through the clear blue as opposed to my semi opaque/translucent white:

comparison.jpg

I have the money budgeted for the basic kit this month (couldn't swing enough for the super kit thanks to xmas) so as soon as you're ready to take orders (after Dec 1st) i got it.

Definitely put me down for a full kit! (Sam kit... might have to get the colors too... :) )

Have you considered using tri-color LEDs (if they make acceptable tri-color in the colors we need) so one could just switch between the different characters at will? :) Just an interesting though, probably a lot more circuit design though...

I'm definitely in for a basic kit. Would you offer a modified basic kit for those who want to use 2 clean sides of the disc that way 2 "c" pieces are included?

Sounds something I would be interested in.
I have the deluxe disc and really dislike the 'toy' quality of it.
Has there been any word on how accurate the size/shape is to the original prop?

Sounds something I would be interested in.
I have the deluxe disc and really dislike the 'toy' quality of it.
Has there been any word on how accurate the size/shape is to the original prop?

I talked to one of the designers from Spin Masters and he said it's the exact same size as the prop. Nevertheless, I wanna double check myself.

If you do offer an electronics-only kit, how much would that cost?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back