Definitive Harley Quinn suicide squad thread

Discussion in 'DC Costumes and Props' started by sp1derman, May 14, 2015.

1. sp1derman

sp1derman Sr Member

Searched around saw that we didn't have a thread for harley Quinn. Personally I love the new costume and especially how certain bits are clearly modded by her for example her top where shall has literally painted the top red.

Found a top that can be easily molded to the one she wears I imagine most of her stuff is custom but maybe we can find the base items for the costume.
    I can't decide if harley pants are latex/leather or sequins any opinions would be great

http://www.spreadshirt.com/daddy-s-lil-monster-harley-quinn-shirt-women-s-t-shirts-C3376A101936077/vp/101936077T347A1PC1010032373PA540X26Y27S29#/detail/101936077T347A1PC1010032373PA540X26Y27S29

CEW3ClZUIAAmF_W.jpg CEaDkTsW0AAOe85.jpg CEWgrHaVIAAaTI8.jpg CEWVQtXWMAAp4OD.jpg CERM9y1W0AMnWsE.jpg CERLM_AW0AAn0tv.jpg 284C953400000578-3066849-image-m-79_1430742926140.jpg IND8yCe.jpg fCuAAcC.jpg

Last edited: May 14, 2015
    beauparadox likes this.
  2. the_batdemon

the_batdemon Sr Member

3. pinder91

pinder91 Sr Member

The word "Definitive" is getting thrown around way too much around here. :p

JWMines, Archer21 and Jango Wes like this.
  4. pensive

pensive Member

Knight Watchman likes this.
  5. CharlesHouse

CharlesHouse Active Member

I am most interested in what is in her holster.

6. papamurf812

papamurf812 Active Member

When is someone going to post up an accurate run of the shirt?

7. Archer21

Archer21 Active Member

You started a movement ;):lol

8. the_batdemon

the_batdemon Sr Member

I'll see your "Definitive" and raise you one "RD or "Real Deal" :lol

pinder91 likes this.
  9. pensive

pensive Member

Yeah, who do I throw my $$ at?

10. Athanasius

Athanasius Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I don't mean to be negative or anything, but why bother having a thread for this costume?

Firstly, there's barely any costume to begin with; and secondly, what clothing she is wearing is insanely inaccurate to the comic book Harley...

I mean, if you desperately want to cosplay this version of Harley, go nuts, but surely any other Harley costume would be much more fun and awesome to recreate?

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents...

11. NOMAD202

NOMAD202 Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This thread will come in handy when all of the women that cosplay (or want to cosplay) want to come here looking for answers. I've seen threads dedicated to what Tyler Durden wears in "Fight Club" (right down to the shoes and t-shirt). I see no problem with this research thread.

12. OneGoodScare

OneGoodScare Active Member

You could say the same about alot of cbm costumes. Her look has actually grown on me, and im sure the look will soon become popular at cons so this thread will be handy for those who want the research. As a Harley fan, I only wish they gave her pants lol but hey im not complaining

13. pensive

pensive Member

This was a really disappointing reply to wake up to, tbh. I've never wanted to cosplay Harley until I saw this look on her, so if some don't like it that's just the way things roll...but I fell in love with it so I'm gonna make an attempt at it. Seeing the jacket, the painted bat, the numerous tats- that IS fun to tackle and awesome to wear. This forum has resources that are way too good to pass up, and people with way too much expertise. I hope not all the Harley fans out there are gonna harsh my buzz like this. :(

14. harrisonp

harrisonp Well-Known Member

I for one really like the costume! I could take or leave the shoes, but that is about my only gripe with it. It doesn't hurt that Margot Robbie totally has that Harley look which really sells it for me. I know people are saying it looks like a cosplay, but maybe that is testament to how creative and talented a lot of these cosplayers are, and also goes to show that the DCCU may be very similar to our Earth, but there are variations that make costumes and characters like this work.

I think aside from assembling a completely accurate costume this look could also be an interesting jumping off point for custom Harleys, and offers a new angle on the character. I know that Harley gets cosplayed in some "lazy" ways sometimes, but at least this costume has a little bit more clothes to actually wear, unlike the N52 costume. I would like to see someone do a take on this design and colors but add some pants/tall socks like she has in N52 or Arkham Asylum, could be a cool way to change up the look for those who aren't completely sold on it.

15. Rusty85

Rusty85 Sr Member

I think it looks great, glad to see something different and am looking forward to how it plays out in the movie.

16. pensive

pensive Member

Knee socks! Yes!!!

17. sp1derman

sp1derman Sr Member

I have a plan to make the top as it doesn't seem to be that difficult to replicate

18. pensive

pensive Member

Count me as interested! I've been sketching the diamond tats on her forearm and bat. Gotta practice my fake inking skillz! Lol

19. Judge Spartan

Judge Spartan Sr Member

Her outfit here reminds me of an "roller derby" outfit! Don't take this as a negative, I happen to think roller derby is AWESOME!!:thumbsup

beauparadox likes this.
  20. pensive

pensive Member

Recommendations for the gold lettering on her collar and bracelets?

21. Nataku

Nataku Sr Member

Anyone do the "property of Joker" jacket yet?

22. Peachykiki

Peachykiki New Member

I've been working on getting the jacket up in my etsy shop, but its hard to make out the details accurately with so little reference so far :/
    I will have the shorts and belt/belt buckle up next week though.
    As well as the 'puddin' collar.

23. izabel

izabel Sr Member

24. stormtrooperguy

stormtrooperguy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I know this is old, but I didn't see it in subsequent posts. The movie costume is not at all far removed from the New 52 version of Harley, and feels like it would fit in perfectly with the Arkham series too. It's not the red and black harlequin look she started with, but I think it reflects her current state pretty well. If anything it's a bit more conservative... she's often drawn in booty shorts and a corset.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
    Override likes this.
  25. CharlesHouse

I count at least 10 items, all of which are custom, that make her costume. That's as many or more than other characters from from films 30+ years ago that members here are still scrutinizing in Blu Ray frames and trying to get completely accurate. Revealing attire doesn't make it less of a costume, and where she doesn't have clothing, she has tattoos.

And? This was pretty inaccurate to any comic prior.

Untitled-183.jpg

Actually, every Batman suit has been less than accurate to the comic of the time. Even Nicholson, the closest live-action representation to the comics, was decades older than the comic character, wore plaid instead of stripes, and had a bowtie several times longer than the comic image.

This is also Harley's first live action film version. She went about 20 years with the same costume, and then has been changed a dozen times in the past few years. This shouldn't be surprising that she doesn't look like the comics.

Are we really questioning why people want to do something? I'm not a huge fan of this attire, either, but if I spent my time on RPF trying to talk people out of characters and movies I disliked, I'd be here all the time.

26. pensive

pensive Member

^ preach!

27. Peachykiki

Peachykiki New Member

I did the booty shorts the other day, waiting on my 3d printed belt buckle to come in =P
    il_570xN.787970386_9j6z.jpg
    Still trying to do the vector on the jacket, text is just taking forever. Definitely not my forte hahaha

pensive likes this.
  28. sp1derman

sp1derman Sr Member

Anyone working on her leg tattoos I'm thinking of having a custom pair of tights with the tattoos on them as my misses isn't a fan of having her legs out. Thanks

29. pensive

pensive Member

I just wrote it with eyeliner and sprayed a light hairspray mist on my legs. Not sure if you'd wanna paint spandex tights...?

30. sp1derman

sp1derman Sr Member

wasn't planning to paint them was going to have custom printed tights made with the tattoos and a fishnet pattern ontop similar idea to tattoo sleves

31. pensive

pensive Member

Oh cool! That will look really cute.

32. sp1derman

sp1derman Sr Member

any idea what is on the other side of her holster (white circled) and what're text is on her thighs (blue circled) Screenshot_2015-06-20-20-19-05.png

33. teragon

teragon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I believe they're speed loaders for her revolver in her holster.

34. peytonriley

peytonriley Active Member

Hey guys! I wanted to share with you this Harley Quinn costume i made for a client.

11722017_10207334269174431_2106243513_n.jpg 11722033_10207334267854398_475901184_n.jpg 11720697_10207334268494414_1007527197_n.jpg 11714479_10207334267294384_338089751_n.jpg 11693228_10207334266574366_1066361146_n.jpg 11731305_10207334266094354_962358610_o.jpg 11724803_10207334265814347_2049517161_o.jpg

the jacket is made of satin, lined, the cuffs, neck and waist have had a trim sewn on to have that 2 toned look, although im not quite happy with it and i think i may change it for a thinner and lighter colored one next time, the zip is two toned red and blue gold one with a J on the slider, and sequin details on the gold strips of the sleeves. The back logo was made in thermofusible vinyl, i had it done at a place and the person had to make the design a bit smaller to make it fit which caused the lower words to be very tiny, still it's a pretty good first time run, i'll just take care of that next time. The shirt was made from 2 shirts rather than from scratch because i had about a week to make the entire thing, a white and red one, then cut and sewn, dyed, painted, distressed and hand sewn, with the logo sublimated on. The booty shorts are made of stretch sequin mesh and lined in spandex, they look tiny because my client was tiny, a uk size 6! The glove was made from red and blue lame, and a similar matte fabric in grey and black. The wig was dyed using dylon dyes which i find better than any sharpie method considering sharpies tend to come away if you touch the hair too much and since these are polyester fibers, dylon works perfectly and doesnt come away if washed properly, the turquoise isnt quite bright because the wig wasnt almost white as margot's is, but rather a very pale platinum blonde which made the turquoise plus a yellowish hue, made it look a bit greenish. Lastly the painful boots, made from scratch, i wish i'd had more time to work on them as i had 1 1/2 days to make both, they are missing a few details but im quite happy with the result otherwise, patterned and made by me as well as everything here n.n

If you wanna need anything else just let me know, if you wanna purchase this costume, just visit my store on my signature!

11722017_10207334269174431_2106243513_n.jpg

11722033_10207334267854398_475901184_n.jpg

11720697_10207334268494414_1007527197_n.jpg

11714479_10207334267294384_338089751_n.jpg

11693228_10207334266574366_1066361146_n.jpg

11731305_10207334266094354_962358610_o.jpg

11724803_10207334265814347_2049517161_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
    Vult Tavik and smoothrat like this.
  35. rei2rei

rei2rei New Member

Has anyone figured out the font used for "Daddy's Lil Monster" on Harley's shirt? I've found similar fonts, but not the right one.

36. pensive

pensive Member

Try 'http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/canadatype/jezebel/'

37. Rick Webb

Rick Webb New Member

I think Definitive Threads are popping up more as a means of organization you know rather than starting a "Harley Quinn's boots" thread and a "Harley Quinn's jacket" thread and a "Harley Quinn's bracelet" just open one thread which should probably be more appropriately call a "Collective" thread instead of a "Definitive" thread

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

38. Rick Webb

Rick Webb New Member

I have always been more of an accessories guy vs costuming and that being said I have been focusing on the baseball bat lately and I don't know if anybody has noticed the writing on the back of the bat after hours of searching the Google I have only found two decent shots of partial text
    140fb514872dc972b88ae26140ec4d75.png 706281f72bf79c2a5db66986f627a161.jpg

I can tell the first line ends in Hahahahaha and from there I think it reads
    *= unknown letters
    Hahahahaha
    ** I and(end)
    ** the
    ** the
    **ly M**as
    *** ?Wont?
    ** I want
    * *eet
    Eat you

That's about as far as I have made it

39. smoothrat

smoothrat Well-Known Member

The next line under "Eat you" looks like it says "baby"

Here's another photo; maybe it will help. The only word I can pick out might be "finger" right under the "T." And some "Ha Has" at the very bottom.
    Suicide-Squad-Harley-Quinn-Images-03890 - original.jpg

40. Hawke

Hawke Member

Looking for the right bat to work with on this one. I can't see anything, but no one has spotted any brands or special things to watch out for when buying, have they?

41. Rick Webb

Rick Webb New Member

There doesn't appear to be anything special about the bat I think any color appropriate bat would work although I would recommend a cheaper one as they tend to have the logos printed one as opposed to more expensive ones were the logo is burned/branded into the wood requiring much more sanding in order to get a smooth surface

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

42. Peachykiki

Peachykiki New Member

11811446_10206273128658664_4509828478370824125_n.jpg
    Finally got my first sample of the jacket pretty much done, just need to add the trim to the sleeves!
    I'm pretty much in love with it, planning to wear it all the time. =P
    I'll have a very limited run of them available on my etsy shop (since I'm leaving for Japan next month), if anyone is interested.

beauparadox likes this.
  43. Rusty85

Rusty85 Sr Member

Whoa looking good, nice work!

44. iKillGiants

iKillGiants New Member

Peachykiki, that's amazing looking. My wife is doin this for Baltimore comiccon, just got the shoes last week. How much are you going to be selling those jackets for?

45. pensive

pensive Member

I got my wig in this weekend and want to start styling it. What are some good materials for dying the ends pink and blue?

46. Peachykiki

Peachykiki New Member

I use RIT dyes or idye poly, Arda wigs has a tutorial on their site.

47. CharlesHouse

I noticed AliExpress has fairly accurate copies of the shoes for cheap. CosplaySky also has a jacket, which they ripped off from a cosplayer; the design is different, on purpose, and they took it from her rather than set images.

48. smoothrat

smoothrat Well-Known Member

Here's a cool 3D model of Harley's bat. The creator (Yogensya) used a variety of Harley quotes to fill in the small text.

More info here: https://www.reddit.com/r/thesuicidesquad/comments/3dd7f3/modelling_the_baseball_bat_in_3d_need_all/
    and more views of the model here: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/wip-harley-quinn-s-baseball-bat (including a 3D view of the model)

55ac09c39d1da.jpg yogen-yogensia-wip7.jpg

Some of the quotes Yogensya used:

• You lock up the weirdos, the crooks and the geeks! Yer a hero to all of the boys in blue - But this time, PUDDIN, the joke's on YOU!
    • Hush, little baby, don't say a word Momma's gonna kill for you the whole * world.
    • Aw, c'mon Puddin - don'tcha wanna rev up ya Harley?VROOOM VROOM!
    • Jingle bells Bratgirl smells, Birdboy laid an egg! The batmobile lost a wheel and Puddin got away!
    • I’m rubber, you’re glue, whatever you say bounces off me and makes a six-inch-diameter exit wound in you.
    • I know what you think of me. You think I’m just a doll. A doll that’s pink and light. A doll you can arrange any way you like. You’re wrong. Very wrong. What you think of me is only a ghost of time. I am dangerous. And I will show you just how dark I can be.

You thought I was just another bubble-headed blonde bimbo. Well, the jokes on you cause I'm not even a real blonde

William Gaskins and beauparadox like this.
  49. rei2rei

rei2rei New Member

Has anyone had any luck finding red/gold stripped knit for the jacket collar and wrist cuffs? I know it's out there but am the HARDEST time locating any. I actually don't even know the best way to search for it. I'm really hoping someone here has had better luck than me.

50. Achilla137

Achilla137 Active Member

Do you have the link for the shoes? Im not having luck on ali express site.