Definition: recasting vs copying vs reference?

pandatrooper

I wanted to ask this question on the RPF as I feel I'd get a more definitive answer as members here seem to have a much better understanding than other forums.

*Note: I'm not casting anything, I just want to get a better understanding of what others feel the true definition is.

What defines reasting vs other methods of replicating?

Let's take a random example and multiple scenarios.

Indy idol:

A: If someone bought an "cast from original" idol off eBay, coated in silicone,made a mold, poured resin in, now they are cranking them out. I would consider this 100% recasting. Recasting = bad!

B: Someone buys a "cast from original" idol, 3D scans it, cleans it up in 3D, 3D prints it, casts copies. Is this considered recasting? Some kind of digital recasting? I don't have a 3D scanner or printer so I don't know the protocol.

C: Someone buys a "cast from original" idol. Sculpts their own from clay but takes photos of the original and uses measurements from the original using rulers, calipers etc. Finishes the sculpt, pours a mold, casts copies. Is this considered recasting?

D: someone buys a licenesed version of the idol (I'm just hypothesising so let's say its the "Hasbro" version which is not very accurate). They sculpt over this idol, grind it down to make it accurate height etc, then cast copies. Is this recasting?

E: someone only uses photos, known measurements, sculpts their own from scratch. Casts copies. This is not recasting.

Thoughts?

*edit. I labeled 2 of the options as D, I fixed it to option D and E.

Last edited:
My opinion:

A is recasting

B is too vague. What do you mean by "cleans it up"? Digital scanners are not what people think they are, they come out low ploy a lot of times (at least any scanner I could afford, not sure about top dollar ones). If the low poly scan was then refined in a 3d modeling program, I don't see how that would be digital recasting. Digital recasting is a term to describe when a person claims that digital work is their own when it's not. Refining a low poly model, whether it be from a video game or from a 3d scan, is 3d modeling. Recasting requires no artistic skill, 3d modeling does.

C is not recasting, it's sculpting.

First D is recasting. Many might disagree with me, but it is recasting. However, in this forum, this type of recasting seems to be accepted. I've always found that shady, myself. Recasting is recasting.

Second D is not recasting.

I agree with GhostMinion on every point.
It breaks down to this. Is the final product your work or someone else's work, be it digital or physical? If it's someone else's work in whole or part, it's recasting.

I think if you change more than 10% of the product that you bought its not recasting. Anything under 10% then its recasting.

Now that 10% will always change based on product. Like they do with product copyright in court, if it's similar but Different it's fine by me.

My opinion:

A is recasting

B is too vague. What do you mean by "cleans it up"? Digital scanners are not what people think they are, they come out low ploy a lot of times (at least any scanner I could afford, not sure about top dollar ones). If the low poly scan was then refined in a 3d modeling program, I don't see how that would be digital recasting. Digital recasting is a term to describe when a person claims that digital work is their own when it's not. Refining a low poly model, whether it be from a video game or from a 3d scan, is 3d modeling. Recasting requires no artistic skill, 3d modeling does.

C is not recasting, it's sculpting.

First D is recasting. Many might disagree with me, but it is recasting. However, in this forum, this type of recasting seems to be accepted. I've always found that shady, myself. Recasting is recasting.

Second D is not recasting.
In regards to 3D, I had experience in the games industry. The projects I worked on often scanned actors faces or vehicles. For face scans, they had a lot of noise and the resolution was not usable as a "model", so an artist would go in, delete Poly's,smooth things or simply use the scan as a base / reference for modeling a face from scratch.

I would agree, I don't consider that recasting as there is a ton of work and skill involved.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back