Decisions, Decisions . . . Which Costume to make

Phayze

Yeah, I know, I'm planning pretty far in advance, but I have to if I expect to get around to actually making the costume. :p

I've been planning out a custom Green Lantern costume for a little while now, and though that sounds like an extremely fun costume to make, another idea hit me and now I'm torn between the two.

So what's more recognizable:

1) An original take on a fairly recognizable character like this (imagine a white circle with the lantern emblem on the chest)
FinalGLCustom.jpg

or

2) An obscure 90s comic nerd reference like this:
spiderboy.jpg

I lean toward Spiderboy, but only because the Spiderman movies have put Spidey in the public eye. A lot of people would just assume that I was spiderman, but that would be okay with me

I get the feeling that no matter which I chose people will look at me and go "what the heck are you supposed to be?" so I probably shouldn't bother about which is more recognizable, but I'm curious to know what others think.

I also can't help but wonder why I always choose obscure cultural references for my costumes . . . one year I went as Tom freakin' Bombadil on Halloween, for crying out loud... :lol

thanks in advance for the input, kids.

Spiderboy - just because it's a cooler costume. Good luck with which ever one you choose. Hope to see progress pics.

Steveo

ouch, 50/50 . . . ;)

Thanks for the opinions, guys.

I got some advice from the boys and girls at the League of Heroes, too, but that was pretty much split down the middle as well so I was left with my fear of working with spandex to help me make up my mind.

It decided that I should start with the GL (mainly because it looks simpler) and save spiderboy for later (though I will almost certainly get to it eventually). Hooray for compromise through fear. :lol

Originally posted by saber_holder@Feb 13 2006, 04:55 PM
If you pick between the 2, go GL... you could make a power battery for it, and maybe even get green contacts.

If I could venture a third option though, I'd say Ghostbuster. Great costume, and everyone always loves it.
[snapback]1183459[/snapback]​

Ick. Contacts gross me out, something fierce. Fortunately, I do have naturally green eyes, so that'll have to do. ;) The power battery would be a fun little add-on, that I hadn' t considered.

and I probably will do the ghostbust thing someday, but I don't have the technical prowess to put together a proton pack, or the capitol on hand to buy one right now. Definitely a great costume, though.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back