Decals on flat or gloss

Tguy1701

It's been many, many years since I've done models and I'm starting back on one.
The model is the Star Trek Enterprise (movie version) and I have a question regarding paint choices and decals.
It used to be that I would paint with gloss paints so the decals would apply properly and then coat the model with a clear flat coat to seal the deal.
Is this still the case or can it be paint in flats and will the decals stick. Do I need anything to make the decals adhere better.
Also, I used to use tester paints. Now there are a wider variety. Are there any paint brands that are better than others?

Terry

Hey Terry, welcome!

You can use Microscale products (Micro Sol and Micro Set) to help with the decals, as far as placement and setting goes.

As far as I know, it is still a gloss coat, decal and then a top coat to seal. I learned the hard way not to use Tamiya flat clear directly over decals. There is a warning, but with the old eyes, I failed to read the warning that is right on the cap!

What happens when you used Tamiya Clear over the decals, asking for a friend...

And yeah, all my models have the decals on the gloss coat. I typically gloss coat it, decal, the gloss it again, weather and then finish with a flat. I also 2nd the Micro products, they are amazing.

What happens when you used Tamiya Clear over the decals, asking for a friend...

And yeah, all my models have the decals on the gloss coat. I typically gloss coat it, decal, the gloss it again, weather and then finish with a flat. I also 2nd the Micro products, they are amazing.

When I used Tamiya flat clear directly over the decals, it made them frost and also stand out from the surface of the model. You can see the carrier film around the pigment and it destroys the illusion.

Edit:

You can user their flat clear, you just need to put on a gloss clear coat, over the decals, first.

Last edited:
i find it's very hard to move decals across a flat painted panel. it's better to use a gloss, apply decals, then cover in dullcote.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back