Decal micro printing, matchbox Jurassic Park Jeep

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by glitch451, Jul 7, 2015.

1. glitch451

glitch451 New Member

In coming to terms with not having the funds to re-imagine my 74 CJ-5 into a Jurassic Park Jeep, I'll make due for now with a matchbox jeep. Since I'm not impressed with any licensed replicas, and like most here I like to make stuff, I figure an old toy, some patience, paint, and other little bits and bobs out to make a rather fitting likeness. Although I have yet to acquire a fitting vehicle off of eBay, I'm hoping to have a better idea beforehand what I'm needing to do.

I expect taking one apart ought not be overly difficult, and airbrushing the general colour scheme doesn't feel intimidating, however I'm borderline clueless as to a best means of replicating the hood, door, and fender numbering/lettering/logo. I found one person who has done these, which looked amazing yet the decals looked a bit like home printed stickers and I'd prefer something more seamless with higher resolution.

An idea I had was to check with this other girl on Etsy who makes transfers for fingernails which may have the level of necessary detail, however I wanted to check here first since you all have more experience with various surfaces, fine details, and also know or happen to be those who may be interested in a run if a larger quantity is needed.

My apologies if I've missed something similar in a previous thread, however I did look and didn't see anything discussed close to the scale of a ~3-4mm door decal.
    Also, any thoughts at all even if not related to decals would be most appreciated since I've not worked on anything like this before :)
    Thank you!

2. shadeone

shadeone Active Member

check out some places that do waterslide decals, you can get that level of detail and it wont look like stickers tacked on to the vehicle.

I have a couple matchbox jeeps I would like to do this as well, so if you get some printed up, Id be interested in getting a set or two!

3. morrris99

morrris99 Well-Known Member

Not sure if this is what you are talking about, but I just created this Jeep. It's a TYCO HO scale slot car. The decals are done on my ALPS printer and are actually done in 2 layers. The first one is a white background, the second is the color. I also did a license plate (not visible in the pics) for the front and back. I was thinking about doing some Matchbox jeeps as well, and making different numbers. This would be the correct size for Matchbox size cars, as TYCO HO slot cars are really 1/64 scale anyways.
    ALPS decals can be difficult to use and apply. I have sold decals in the past but I don't do that anymore because they can be easily damaged. The resin printing can be rubbed off with a fingernail, so you have to use extreme care when applying. Anyways, hope you get yours done.
    The decal lettering is 7mm wide.

Attached Files:

Mike J. likes this.
  4. shadeone

shadeone Active Member

That looks fantastic!!
    Greenlight is coming out with a matchbox / hot wheels sized accurate YJ soon:
    [​IMG]