Debunking Blade Runner Blaster Urban Legends - CLEAR ROD

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
Rook 3 wrote:
<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
Ack. I've been Soooooo tempted so many times to buy the "Director's cut" of BR...</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

I'm right there with you. I've been holding out, but now hearing that this is STILL held up, and after hearing legends of how stubborn those involved are, I'm about to cave in.

...so take note, after I buy the Director's Cut, everyone else can expect the deluxe version to be out in 6 months, guarenteed! Just doing my part...

icon_lol.gif

Just make sure you get it cheap. You can find it a lot of places for under US$10. That takes some of the sting out of a better version coming out later.

--Jonah

I just picked up another copy for $14.95.

I always have at least two copies of the DVD on my self, as often I give people who haven't seen the film my spare.

To date, I believe I've brought 3 or 4 people "into the fold".

Phil

This thread is the one that changed a lot of stuff on the replicas before the Hero showed up at Worldcon in 2006 and Phase Pistol made history with it. It is still fun to go back and see how right and wrong people were. Nick and Sergio may get the award for seeing so much so accurately. Love this thread, and it helped start an obsession with me. This one and the Blade Runner Web of Props thread which still exists as well.

Andy

Last edited:
I remember a few discussions with Phil and others about the details of this prop.

I had been making a fairly poor copy of the Blaster from mid 1980s, this is covered in my articles on BladeZone: http://media.bladezone.com/coyle2.php so he contacted me to find out what I knew about this prop. And the rest is history...

Phil took details we had figured out and a photograph around to gun shops and figured out the Charter Arms Bulldog was the working pistol of the prop.

So it was Phil who worked out that there was a Bulldog inside.

I am trying to get the dates correct, I can say that Phil and I worked on this sometime during 1996/7.. which puts this around 15 years ago..almost 1/2 of my prop making life...

Here is part of our original article from my web site Welcome To RacProps and the full article starts at: RacProps Issue 4 - Project Blade Runner Part 1 - Page 1

Here is the beginning of all of this:

Phil and I had many talks about this prop at the outset to nail down what we really knew. With my inside information that the original concealed a 5-shot revolver for the pyrotechnics seen on screen, quite possibly a Smith and Wesson 38, the hunt was on.

“Armed” with a screen capture print of the blaster from the scene where Deckard drops his gun onto the street outside Sebastian’s apartment, Phil visited several gun shops searching for the right gun. When he showed this scene shot to his gunsmith, Sandy Garret of Northern Virginia Gun Works, Inc., Mr. Garrett immediately spotted the details of a Charter Arms model Bulldog .44 special.

When Phil showed me pictures of a Bulldog I, too, knew we had finally found the correct hand gun: the triggers, the frame around the triggers, the removable trigger guard and hand grip frame, the cylinder swing out arm, the cylinder thumb latch, and the cartridge retainer and ramp for the cylinder latch pin – all matched perfectly.

Rich

Japanese prop maker Ryosuke Takagi, the guy behind Elfin Knights created the first replica I know of to use a Charter Arms Bulldog as the base gun. He made one in 1989, and it was Phil that pointed me to his article in a Hobby Japan 1993 special edition. Not sure if Phil knew this before he talked with you about it or not. The one Ryo used was a Kanamaru air soft 38 replica.

Andy

I kind think the title was not the best one...

It has been a wild ride, especially for me...

I put my foot firmly into my mouth a few times when I thought we had all the info possible...

I can say I was telling the truth when I did say "I was making the most accurate model possible", AT THAT TIME.

I have a old saying: All decisions are made B.A.D.LY...

Bad breaks down thus Best Available Data, So all decisions are made with the best available data or information.

I made the best model I could based on the best information I had at that time.

We really thought it was locked in a vault by Riddly Scott in England and would never to be seen again my mortal Fan...

Rich

Japanese prop maker Ryosuke Takagi, the guy behind Elfin Knights created the first replica I know of to use a Charter Arms Bulldog as the base gun. He made one in 1989, and it was Phil that pointed me to his article in a Hobby Japan 1993 special edition. Not sure if Phil knew this before he talked with you about it or not. The one Ryo used was a Kanamaru air soft 38 replica.

Andy
I'm a little late to this post, but here we go. I think some of what I'm going to share here hasn't been shared before:

I may have seen the Japanese article first or later. I don't recall. But when I briefly looked at the write-up, which was in Japanese, I don't remember seeing a reference to the Charter Arms Bulldog. It was only later, after I'd made the match myself, and I'd found the magazine in which the Japanese article appeared and bought it, that I felt certain I had the right gun.

Here’s the exact page I used from a Guns & Ammo 1990 Annual in my personal library to identify the Bulldog, which I shared with Richard at the time:

br_charter_arms_01.jpg

Art Shippee somewhat confirmed it, but Robbie Knott confirmed it once and for all.

Rich and I later spoke with Jay Abramson who worked at B & B Sales (a large gun shop in North Hollywood, CA). Here’s how he described the compiling of the Steyr and the Charter Arms Bulldog:

“I was directed to help Robbie Knott of Knott Limited Special Effects when he came looking for some kind of weapon to use for Blade Runner. With what limited info as he could give, we quickly decided to give up on the single shot airpistols which had a "spacey" look to them. We were one of the few and possibly ONLY shops to have available Steyr Mannlicher actions available to the public.

It's been a long time since then, but if memory serves, I believe the action was an SL, with double set triggers, the rear trigger being a "set" trigger, to pre-load the release trigger to fire with only ounces of pressure. I don't believe there were any worn or poor markings, as Steyr QC simply wouldn't allow such shoddy work to be released, even as an action only. In fact Steyr was so particular about details that the filler screws for the scope mount on top of the receiver (action) were aligned so the slots on all 4 were "north-south", from the rear of the action to barrel mount.

We worked on trying to brainstorm how to make a firing weapon out of this piece, and came up with this:

A Charter Arms cal. 5-shot 44 Special 3" Bbl Bulldog

A pair of Bianchi Lightning rubber grips (a one-piece design made under contract by Pachmayr)

The afore-mentioned SM medium length action, model SL

The concept as I recall was going to be to cast a mold of the action, and then somehow mate it to the Bulldog, giving the ability to fire 5 rounds before having to reload. Simple concept. Obviously from all reports and photos, something else occurred. The lightning grips disappeared, and the original action was somehow mated to the 'dog.’"

Here’s the Japanese article:

hj_extra_br_sm_01.jpg

hj_extra_br_sm_02.jpg

hj_extra_br_sm_03.jpg

hj_extra_br_sm_04.jpg

hj_extra_br_sm_05.jpg

Phil

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back