Deathstroke - foam muscle suit

RockitScience

Hi everyone, I'm looking to build Deathstroke's newest costume from his ongoing solo comic series, which looks like so:
maxresdefault.jpg
Unfortunately I can't claim to have Slade's muscles... but in order to get a look as accurate as possible, I'd like to!
I would like to use some form of muscle undersuit to emphasise my chest, biceps, abs and thighs, etc, but would rather make one than have it commissioned. I know muscle undersuits aren't usually made from foam but I have seen examples of organic muscle shapes formed from foam and was wondering if any of you have any experience in this you could share, or could point me towards any tutorials.
Thanks RPF!

I am currently trying something similar using a tight fitting tshirt as a base. I'm not sure if by foam you mean Eva style, or more like a cushion foam?

I am using a memory foam mattress and found that after spending hours carving the denser part of the foam trying to get a smoother curve, that it doesn't take a particularly thick layer of the foam before you start looking quite bulky. The mattress I'm using has a layer of thin cushion style foam on top of the denser memory foam and I found if I am careful I can peel that away and so far the results are looking better with that. I would guess it is about a centimetre thick and the edges on the pieces I've cut are only very roughly bevelled but because the foam is soft the tshirt will smooth it out a lot. I don't have any real progress to show at the moment but when I do I will keep you posted.

I am currently trying something similar using a tight fitting tshirt as a base. I'm not sure if by foam you mean Eva style, or more like a cushion foam?

I am using a memory foam mattress and found that after spending hours carving the denser part of the foam trying to get a smoother curve, that it doesn't take a particularly thick layer of the foam before you start looking quite bulky. The mattress I'm using has a layer of thin cushion style foam on top of the denser memory foam and I found if I am careful I can peel that away and so far the results are looking better with that. I would guess it is about a centimetre thick and the edges on the pieces I've cut are only very roughly bevelled but because the foam is soft the tshirt will smooth it out a lot. I don't have any real progress to show at the moment but when I do I will keep you posted.

Thanks for your quick response, and sorry for my delayed reply! I was referring to EVA foam, but I've heard about memory foam techniques before and it's good to hear more about that to consider it as another option. Please do keep me updated on the build.

Last edited:
Yeah I have looked into these but would rather make than buy. And they're a bit too bulky.

Thanks! This is exactly what I was aiming for, could you get a picture of just the foam or is it glued to the inside of that vest?

Sorry my reply has been so slow. Life got in the way.

Ditto, haha. That looks great!

I have made a little progress on mine. Here are a few photos:

I used the thin cushion style foam which I tried to explain before and cut the shapes (they are very rough, this is more a test than a work of art).

20150906_194039.jpg

I also cut some shoulder pieces but this time used EVA (or something similar, it is an old camping mat) and used a heat gun to curve these to fit well to my shoulders. In the end I decided to add some more muscles and increase the size and thickness of the chest by adding another layer using the same cushion foam.

20150906_205502.jpg

I plan to try adding some arm muscles next and seeing how that looks. As this is for a Man of Steel costume I have tried it under a blue spandex suit I bought, and I have put some photos on my progress thread if you would like to look. Hope this is of some help. I am attempting to keep this looking as natural as possible (between actually doing some exercise to help too), but I figure the same approach could be used in thicker layers.

I have made a little progress on mine. Here are a few photos:

I used the thin cushion style foam which I tried to explain before and cut the shapes (they are very rough, this is more a test than a work of art).

View attachment 525850

I also cut some shoulder pieces but this time used EVA (or something similar, it is an old camping mat) and used a heat gun to curve these to fit well to my shoulders. In the end I decided to add some more muscles and increase the size and thickness of the chest by adding another layer using the same cushion foam.

View attachment 525854

I plan to try adding some arm muscles next and seeing how that looks. As this is for a Man of Steel costume I have tried it under a blue spandex suit I bought, and I have put some photos on my progress thread if you would like to look. Hope this is of some help. I am attempting to keep this looking as natural as possible (between actually doing some exercise to help too), but I figure the same approach could be used in thicker layers.
Thanks for the pics. Looks pretty good under the spandex, I imagine it will especially after you've added tone to the suit

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back