Deathstroke, Arkham Origins

Discussion in 'DC Costumes and Props' started by NoxRocks, Aug 31, 2015.

1. NoxRocks

NoxRocks Jr Member

I figure I'm far enough into this build to say something, so here goes:

I started this in the beginning of August this year, and it'll be for a convention in the beginning of October. I also have a few things of armor to build for some friends, so I have a little less than 2 months to finish this thing! Archon 2015 will be a blast though. My crew is going to be Deadpool, Udon Taskmaster, Deathstroke, and Bane.

This isn't meant to be an exact replica of the Arkham Origins armor, but it will be fairly close I think. I've used it for inspiration, and I'm rushing. This is also my first complete costume. I usually build one offs.

So far I've sculpted the mask, molded the mask, and fabricated the majority of the armor.

This was the first night:
    1st sculpt.jpg

This was at the end of the 2nd night, and the white is foam board that I set into the sculpt. I wasn't sure if the molding silicone would mess it up but it did fine.
    2ndsculpt.jpg
    3rdsculpt.jpg

First time ever making a mold this size. Learning experience for sure! Next time I'll use fiberglass. Plaster bandages are ok, but kind of annoying while actually rotocasting.

mold.jpg

mold2.jpg

This is pour number 2. The first came out with edges that were VERY thin, and I learned my lesson.

mold3.jpg

I am amazed with how well it fits my head, and the breathing isn't THAT bad. It vents directly under my chin and through my eye.

cast.jpg

Sanded a bit and then paint!

castpaint.jpg

Test fitting armor.

chest.jpg

back.jpg

legs.jpg

forearm.jpg

forearm2.jpg

I still have a good amount to paint, and a little to strap. But I'm pretty much done with construction at this point. I have boot covers, shin armor, and knee pads constructed, but still need to strap them.

Where I'm at so far:

sofar.jpg

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  2. ichibans13

ichibans13 Active Member

Looks awesome! When you were casting, I noticed you put some sort of support/peg type object on the chin, forehead, and ear area. What is that for? Added support for the plaster bandages?

3. NoxRocks

NoxRocks Jr Member

Those were my keys so the silicone would fit back into the plaster perfectly. I actually cut the chin/forehead pieces down a bit due to my seam running down the center, but the ear keys were perfect.

4. ichibans13

ichibans13 Active Member

Gotcha. Was that your first time sculpting? Besides the keys, did you run into any other problems?
    Good work!

5. NoxRocks

NoxRocks Jr Member

That was my first time sculpting, and mold making. I had to text a fellow maker and get some advice, but it worked out.

The only thing I wish I would've done is make the edges a bit thicker with the silicone. It's thin in the mold, and it ripped a bit when I was removing it from the sculpt. Smoothcast leaks through it to the mother shell, but it's not hard to pick off.

I think I'll use fiberglass for the shell next time. Plaster works, but I have to duct tape the 2 halves together to be able to easily slushcast.

Today I started the sword. It will be foam and wood. I've never worked with wood before so it's a learning experience. Trying to get the sword construction finished by tomorrow.

sword.jpg

If I had more time I'd be much more meticulous, but I'm in crunch time now! I have a month to finish construction and paint all this stuff, and then help my brother and friend with their armor...

Anyway this was done very quickly, and it looks great from a distance :p

sword hilt.jpg

6. ichibans13

ichibans13 Active Member

Did you use a wood burning tool for that detail? Looks pretty good. Did you secure the handle to the blade with only wood glue?

7. Moviepropmaker6

Moviepropmaker6 Active Member

It looks alot like noxrocks did use a burning tool,ichiban

8. NoxRocks

NoxRocks Jr Member

The blade is secured with wood glue, scraps of wood, and bondo.

I cut about a 2 inch slot down the middle and found that it was a tad to wide, so I took some scraps over to the belt sander and made some wedges to lock the blade in place. That was filled with wood glue, and after waiting for it to dry a few hours I filled in the small holes with bondo and sanded smooth.

I started the handle using a wood burner, but swapped to a disc on my dremel. After about 3 seconds the disc heated up and it burned/cut away the detail lines, so it has that appearance :p

9. NoxRocks

NoxRocks Jr Member

Finished sword! Not too worried about the blade because it will most likely be sheathed 90% of the time!

The guard/pommel bit are eva foam. The rest of the sword is wood, and the blue bits on the blade are styrene plastic.

sword1.jpg

10. ichibans13

ichibans13 Active Member

Looks awesome! How thick is the sword? And did you make the sheath too, or did you buy it?

11. NoxRocks

NoxRocks Jr Member

I haven't made a sheath yet. Still trying to decide if I want to keep it true to the character or put my spin on it...

12. ichibans13

ichibans13 Active Member

I swear I thought I saw a sheath. Hmmm...my bad!

13. NoxRocks

NoxRocks Jr Member

I have some more progress!

I'm completely done with construction and have begun painting the rest of the armor.

I made a quick sheath that I'll eventually get a picture of, but it's nothing special. The main goal was something that would look acceptable holding the sword strapped to my back.

Anyway, the paint is coming along. It's a pain to get it all to match but I think it's worth it.

paintarmor.jpg

If anyone is curious:

Spray black plastidip for base coat.

Tape off non orange areas, and spray with a metallic gold(You can see the color on the thigh armor in the bottom right)

I take silver acrylic and rub it into the black with my index finger. I tried drybrushing but wasn't getting the coverage I wanted. The silver ends up being thinner and thicker in random areas, and I think it helps with the weathered look after the blue is applied.

I water the blue acrylic down and do a couple thin layers over the silver.

Water orange acrylic down and go over gold with thin layers until it matches the rest.

Use black acrylic for black parts/details.

Couple coats of gloss clear coat.

Woot.

14. LovingApathy

LovingApathy Jr Member

Looks great!! Can't wait to see how everything turns out

15. NoxRocks

NoxRocks Jr Member

Painted the back after work tonight.

I also attached the toy grenades to the belt. I was tempted to repaint them but I'd rather security be able to tell they're obviously fake...

Strapped some of it on to see how it's looking together:

paintsneak.jpg

16. NoxRocks

NoxRocks Jr Member

I finished today!

I chose this at the last minute and did everything in a month and a half, so I'm pretty happy with it!

Archon 2015 will be fun :D October 2-4 and I can't wait!

I also need to find a photographer because I am terrible at photography...

Deathstroke.jpg

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  17. NoxRocks

NoxRocks Jr Member