Deathproof Nova

Kiwimike

I'm building a 1/18th scale version of the DeathProof Chevy Nova. Two and half years into the build. No, I'm not a turtle. I just work full-time.

Here's a link to my web album.

Last edited:
Getting there with this build. Here's a shot with chrome trim on the main body and windows installed. For the chrome I avoided Alclad and just polished the metal body shell as required. The decision isn't a snub against alclad. No way. It's my finishing and painting ability that swayed the jury.

Last edited:
The all important Skull and Lightning Bolt Symbol. This would be the most accurate thing on the build. A good friend of mine unfolded the perspective on a shot of the hood then computer-cut me a perfect mask. NB. with most jpgs you see online of the image, the lightning bolts are too squished up for some reason. Mine aren't.

As promised, here are some detail shots of the car. What no-one told me was what a dust magnet black objects are so excuse any white specks you might see in the shots. Consider them pieces of my soul, after this long, long build.

Thanks. Using nail polish to paint the body shell was a unique experience. Once I got the hang of it (which took some time and quite a bit of sanding) I found it quite a good medium to work with. My only tip to anyone contemplating using polish is to get the right thinner. Use cellulose spray thinners, not univeral thinners, if you want to dull down the high gloss finish.

One other point to make that might start a Nail Polish revolution. It resists turps, so if you're painting details using enamels and you get some paint on the Nail Polish surface. Sweet! Easy clean up (or off).

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back