Death Warrior, WIP

Justin1

Hey, guys. I've been kind of reading through a lot of the threads, checking out a lot of other buildups for inspiration, taking ideas and advice as I went. I'm totally floored by a lot of the work I've seen. I know It's unfair to compare my work to a lot of other kits on here, but none-the-less, I still do. Baring that in mind, I'm still curious as to get some feedback on how this piece is turning out so far. This ridiculously awesome kit is my 3rd figure buildup. So, don't hesitate to let me know what you think, and thanks for looking.

9/17 Update!:

I tried to hold out as long as I possibly could on the newest issue of KBM, but I decided I just couldn't wait any longer, and I finished up the spot patterning on his back, as well as started the head patterning, and did some on the feet. I also finished the spotting on the arms, but forgot to photograph them, and I'm just too lazy right now to go and take pictures of those now as well. I'm doing the skins in warm tones, to try and contrast the silver armor I wanted to give him. Kind of a minor update, with a few pieces of armor that I'm just about done with, as well as a test I did of laying down Payne's Grey and slowly drybrushing on blue. I think it turned out ok, and I'm hoping to have portions of his armor in that color to kind of liven it up a little. Let me know what you guys think!

Well the alien base looks pretty good already. Are you using liquitex acrylics from the tube?
If you are can u tell me how you thin it down properly for airbrushing? I can never thin the thick stuff down enough to not have it clog the airbrush.

Yeah, I use Liquitex Artist Acryllics almost exclusively, unless I'm doing detail work on metal, then I use Testors Enamel Metallics. You can see the little Liquitex paint bottles strewn about everywhere on my workspace.

For thinning paint, I use equal parts water and rubbing alcohol. The alcohol evaporates much faster than water, so in theory it should help the paint dry a little bit quicker. Whether it does or not, I have no idea. Something else I've heard that works particularly nicely for washes, is putting in just a DROP of dish liquid, which apparently gives the viscosity a better flow or something like that. That's not something I've actually tried.

When I thin paint for airbushing, I usually put in 1 part paint to 4 or more parts thinner. I mix it in the little dixie cups you see all over the place. Generally, the best thing to look for is "milk." You want it the same consistency as milk. For me, I usually need it a bit thinner because I'm using a Sotar 20/20, which is for detail work and whatnot, and it just requires paint a little on the thin side. The only "rule" I adhere to, is if you thin the paint, tip the container to get it to coat the side, and when you level it again, you should immediately be able to see through the paint as it runs back down the sides.

I hope that helps. If you've got any more questions, don't hesitate to ask, man!

Jeez dude I look at the aliens and I just gota say woah. I can't even imagine how the pred is gonna look keep the progress pics comin mon!

Looks fantastic.

Is this your practice kit? It looks like there is a base for another Death Warrior in the background of the first picture?

Wow, guys! Thanks a lot!

You are correct, sir. I did order two of the kit, and I plan on building up the 2nd, but not until after I do a few more buildups. I've got the Bad Blood ordered, and I'd like to order one or two other Narin kits as well.

I appreciate you guys checking it out a lot!

Nice job the start are great...awesome alien skull and the base in green are original.
Good paint. Congratulations.
:lol: :lol:

Well, I finally found time to lay down some deeper red tones, as well as some dark brown, and I was MUCH happier with the over all skin tone. It just reminded me of tomato soup at first for some reason. I also took some time to start the spotting, which is really pretty tedious. I obviously borrowed a page from the Joe Dunaway book of painting preds. And by borrowed a page, I really mean I tore the page out, lol. Honestly, though, I'm just a really huge fan of almost every one of his build-ups, and tried to emulate it because I LOVE the way some of his spot patterning looks. I don't know if anyone can disagree with me on that. I'm unsure of how I feel about it so far, though. I'm pretty unhappy with the section on his love handle, and may redo it, but... I may take the lazy way out and just live with it. The arm is also not finished yet. Let me know what you think, guys!

I think it's looking great so far. I really like the spot patterns just above the knee, looks very cool.

I think everyone wants to rip a page out of Joe Dunaway's book, me included, and I fully intend to try at least once my Bad Blood arrives.

Oh, my god. I don't even want to try and imagine what Joe's buildup for the Bad Blood will look like. I've already got my ideas for that kit, and I hope once I see Joe's I don't change my mind, lol.

I'm thinking hot pink armor for my Bad Blood with red ribbons in his dreads...

Just getting my idea out there first so no-one steals it! :)

I'm thinking hot pink armor for my Bad Blood with red ribbons in his dreads...

Just getting my idea out there first so no-one steals it! :)

GODDAMNIT!!! Now I've gotta think up a WHOLE NEW color scheme! And here I was, thinking NO ONE would want to do that...

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back