Death Star Turbolaser

That's looking awesome! Now I know where a lot of the big bag of parts will go when I get to mine... :)

If you have the kit from Wasili, I hope you received the panel map where all the numbered panels go. I didn't get anything and just winged it with what looked like the correct size.

TazMan2000

The base build is complete. The turbolaser still needs those greeblies case for the front of the boxy parts on the barrels as well as the piping that goes out from the top rear and down the back plate on the right and left. Easy.

I did a little extra plating on the top part of the bottom section of tower. The filming model had just a few panels on each corner. The 3D printed ring will hide the lazy susan bearing.

IMG_1310.JPG
IMG_1312.JPG
IMG_1313.JPG
IMG_1314.JPG
IMG_1315.JPG

The pic below is a little past the maximum barrel elevation with the bottom of the barrel shields just showing. The barrels look a little odd at this angle.

IMG_1317.JPG

TazMan2000

This is a fantastic build! The detail is superb. I can't wait to see the paint and weathering!

Finally getting to the painting.

I pre-shaded the panel lines with a dark grey and followed up with several coats of Tamiya XF-80 Royal Light Grey. The barrels I painted with Vallejo Neutral Grey. Initially that went on light, but darkened up nicely after drying. Some touch ups are required. I will forgo the wash, for some dry brushing to bring out the panel lines a bit more and I'm going to do the weathering with pastels.

IMG_1460.JPG
IMG_1462.JPG

TazMan2000

Brilliant job !!! Don't forget that the top is a different grey shade than the base, something that actually nobody seems to do or realize. Up to you off course as it's your model.

Thx for posting the pics.

Thanks for all the comments and likes fellow members.

wasili , I never realized that the base and top were different shades. I just assumed from your pictures on modelermagic.com that the shade difference was from the flash reflecting back to the camera at a different angle, but since you mentioned that, I can now see the difference. I don't believe that the studio model panel lines were pre-shaded as per the photos and the light reflection, so I'm already off accuracy there, and I'm sure they didn't use Tamiya paints.
Close enough, will be my goal. I appreciate your comment, and I would like to thank you for making this kit. It will be the jewel of my collection.

TazMan2000

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back