Death Star Trooper Helmet - AA/SDS Version

Hope this helps! You might want to check in The Visual Dictionary on the second or third page. Great side shot there!

dst-1.jpg

ImperialOfficer3-ROTJ-vcap.jpg

In the past people have spoken about sanding off or filling in the texture on the Talker helmet prior to vaccing.

Is that really necessary? The texture is so fine I don't think it would show through plastic of that thickness anyway.

Mark, if you're asking to borrow a Talker helmet in order to make some of these you can use mine. All I ask is two helmets out of it (or kits). ;) Dunno when I'll be in Orlando next but there's always USPS.

I'd love one of these as well if anyone can figure it out. I'd even be willing to lend vacuforming services to the project.

Has anyone looked at (brace yourselves...) The Holiday Special for reference on these? A moustasch-wearing, badly-voice-dubbed DS trooper is featured heavily.

Mark

Hey Mark,

Where do you live? Me and TrooperTrent are very close to having this thing nailed and just need a place for the vacuforming! We're in DFW.

Marc

Its really obvious how close this helmet resembles the Fleet trooper helmet.

This thread is pretty cool. I was wondering how much work it would be to make the other parts for this helmet if you already have the parts for a rebel fleet trooper helmet?

I can see a custom mold for the ear bits, but can the back "skirt" of the helmet be made from a sheet bent around? or does it need a new mold for this part?

And if it's a based on the same helmet as the rebel fleet trooper, do you need the "swoop" or just the base helmet, the "visor" with holes drilled in it? I should probably dig out the movies again.

Hrm. Could be a fun new helmet. Although I could see people calling me Dark Helmet in this. :)

badger

I too have been looking at this one as a project. The rear swoop from the RFT is needed. That really big flared out part appears to me to just be a sheet of ABS cut down. The ears are the only new molds needed IMHO if you already have the RFT molds. ;) The visor would need to be drilled as well as the upper section of the rear swoop.

One thing I find odd, is the bottom of the rear swoop sticks down from the flare part. Seems to me, the bottom 3rd of the rear swoop needs to come off.

Jim

Having researched and built one, allow me to chime in.

The helmet offered by AA/SDS is not based on the screen-used helmet molds. Period, full stop. It may be from a prototype, who knows. It is radically different from what's seen in the movie. The ear pieces are wrong, wrong, wrong.

Tt appears that he is using the RFT/Gunner helmet molds for his dome and cheesegrater sections. This explains the RFT rear swoop under the skirt. If this was done on the originals, I haven't been able to find evidence of such.

This helmet is really easy to build, providing one has two critical items: a vaculforming table and a MkII helmet.

The pebbly surface of the MkII helmet barely shows in the finished surface. If one casts the MkII in plaster, the mold can be easily smoothed.

I used two pulls of the helmet to make the dome and the cheesgraters. IMO the rear RFT swoop does not need to be there; it's not seen in the movie.

I easily built a mold for the ear pieces out of 2x4 lumber and some random greeblies found in corners of Warmwater Labs.

The rear skirt I heat-formed from a sheet of plastic. No vacuforming required. I figured out the geometry for the skirt beforehand using a sheet of cardboard.

The whole thing is bolted together. Here I am at DC:

1332708996_2897e66fe1.jpg
1300734008_92c1904cc5.jpg

Last edited:
Having researched and built one, allow me to chime in.
Tt appears that he is using the RFT/Gunner helmet molds for his dome and cheesegrater sections. This explains the RFT rear swoop under the skirt. If this was done on the originals, I haven't been able to find evidence of such.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. The problem with really understanding this helmet is that lack of quality reference material and therefore evidence to make a really informed judgment

The ears on the SDS do look wrong, but that aside its hard to tell. There clearly were prototypes done (as they were photographed), but the alterations made before they ended up on-screen are unclear

Ultimately we need to find an ANH original to be really sure (unless there are some decent images knocking around Ive not seen). I'm sure there's an original helmet sitting in an Attic of a house somewhere in the SE of England right now.

Cheers

Jez

I think AA/SDS has based a few of his helmets from his pre-production pictures he took back in 1976. I also think that there would have been many small changes to his work from when it left Shepperton to go to LFL.

I have found a really low res pic of the 1976 pre-production helmet (surely somebody has a higher res version of this :) ).

preprod.JPG

Also here a pic of a pre-production rebel helmet which AA has clearly used for his modern versions. I am unsure if this is the version that made it to the screen either. There are loads of varients of the rebel helmets this can best be seen in the medal scene at the end of ANH.

rebelhelm_1.JPG

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers Chris.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great pics Voice In The Crowd, its true I matched them up with the screen pix you mentioned. I love this history stuff. :)

Dave

Here are pics of some helmets I put together.

These are all vacced off of an original Navy "Talkers" helmet. A few of us worked on the molds and made the tooling for these. They have gone through a few renditions to get to what we have now. Still have some areas that need improvement.

I came to the same conclusion regarding the NFT helmet. Although I remember seeing some screen caps that might show that there were possibly different finishes on the helmet (ie mat helmet, glossy front rear parts).

nft2.jpg

nft1.jpg

nft3.jpg

nft4.jpg

nft5.jpg

rft1.jpg

rft2.jpg

rft3.jpg

rft4.jpg

rft5.jpg

dsg1.jpg

dsg2.jpg

I'm almost done with the Death Star trooper helmet. Infact I'm assembling a bunch this weekend. Here is a shot of the Rebel guard helmet I just did.

2227902fleettrooper.JPG

2227903fleettrooper1.JPG

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back