Death Star surface - pyro model reproduction

Brilliant job!!
Curiously I'm working on this same project since the past year. I'm almost finished with the tiles, but it's a problem for my computer to manage all the meshes... I've designed all them screen accurate.
Next step will be printing all the tiles, but this will take a while...

Attachments

• DEATH STAR SURFACE CAD.png
    DEATH STAR SURFACE CAD.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 201
Absolutely brilliant!! Like others have said, in some pics it looks like it's huge and the same scale as the ILM set.

I HOPE, SOON I WILL FINISH YOUR PROJECT, ON MY DINING ROOM TABLE, AND WHEN I FINISH IT, I WILL SEND PHOTOS, THANKS A LOT FOR THE ARRANGEMENT OF YOUR FILES, YOU ARE GREAT!

ESPERO PRONTO TERMINAR TU PROYECTO, EN MI MESA DE COMEDOR, Y CUANDO LO TERMINE ENVIAR FOTOS, MUCHAS GRACIAS POR EL ARREGLO DE TUS ARCHIVOS, ERES GENIAL!

I received my Blu-ray copy of "5-25-77" today.

IMG_8633_small.jpg

After the ILM visit sequence there's an appearance of a certain Death Star model...

IMG_8634.jpg

IMG_8639.jpg

:)

Dan

(Some other names we know from here as well in there - lots of models used in the ILM visit sequence...)

Ok, gotta ask can a single mold impression be made of the whole wall!?

Now that Sean and I are doing the 1:1 studio scale tiles and have gained some experience with larger molds, I'd say yes - it would in principle be possible to do that. In practice, with my actual original model, there are enough gaps under the tiles that would have to be sealed to prevent the silicone from seeping under and ripping up the tiles when pealed back that I'd not want to do it with this version. If I or someone were to make another version of this with silicone molding in mind from the beginning I am now confident that one big mold of the whole thing could be made at the end, with lots of cast copies produced afterward.

Dan

I received my Blu-ray copy of "5-25-77" today.

View attachment 1643750

After the ILM visit sequence there's an appearance of a certain Death Star model...

View attachment 1643751

View attachment 1643752

:)

Dan

(Some other names we know from here as well in there - lots of models used in the ILM visit sequence...)
Yep, that was me, sent Pat a model of Dewey. Pat had a sequel to Silent Running he was working on with Dug Trumble.
I knew Pat years ago when he was up for directing Dragon Heart.
I also did a CG shot that didn't arrive on time, as I was busy and only had a few days.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back