Death Star Panels and Lights

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Jon Laymon

Similar to what we're doing with our Blade Runner Bathroom, sections of our new facility will feature Death Star panels in their various styles. Though they'll be fiberglass, we sort of like the idea of doing the "vents" and "grills" as actual, functional elements because our air lines and dust extraction system, cabling, etc. will be behind them. It'd be nice to have them accessible, and real, we think.

In any case, as always, it starts with CAD, and with this first panel we're pretty close. The top section and little rectangle cutouts need some refinement, but overall, it's getting there. CAD panel is on the left, real panel on the right.

DS_1.jpg

DS_2.jpg

We've got the overall panel height at 9' and the width at 40 1/2" inches.

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Jon Laymon

CAD for 4 of the variations are now complete. These will initially be CNC'd out of MDF, then molded in fiberglass, to produce fiberglass parts.

DS_3.jpg

And of course, we've already started on this little maddening process:

DS_4a.jpg

gonk27

Sr Member
Very cool project.

I've been working on drawings for each panel, as well as corridor columns and doorframes for a few years, it's a project I dip into now and then. My goal is a set of interchangeable 1/6 scale pieces, although I'd also like to make a few full size at some point.

Shinchu

Wow! Life sized space walls? I would love to put these on the inside of my garage doors.

And a blade runner bathroom? What sort of awesome facility is this??

Jon Laymon

Yes, and at 9' high each, we can exactly stack two to the ceiling. We're also doing the MU-TH-UR control room and a section of the Blade Runner street with parts from The Bradbury (like the famous sculpted columns, etc.) and a bunch of little Easter eggs hidden around. Rather than just theming it, we're making it all work - the control panels control things; the doors are all pneumatically-driven to slide/raise, etc. Because we're documenting all our current and upcoming projects, our design umbrella is "cool from every angle." And this also means that all the lights are RGB LED's which can be individually addressed, colored, and dimmed for exposure and composition purposes. Lighting in the shop can be localized for a series of dramatic looks, or put into a task configuration, so we can see what we're doing. :) This is all part of our new shop outside Orlando. We've got 40'x 80' x 18' of space to play with in the main area, plus bathroom and loft; just have to leave the central area open for large-format pieces, with CNC, paint booth, woodworking, and metalworking basically occupying the outer quadrants. We never do stuff for ourselves, but thought this would not only be inspiring but a sort of living portfolio.

Panaflex

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Yes, and at 9' high each, we can exactly stack two to the ceiling. We're also doing the MU-TH-UR control room and a section of the Blade Runner street with parts from The Bradbury (like the famous sculpted columns, etc.) and a bunch of little Easter eggs hidden around. Rather than just theming it, we're making it all work - the control panels control things; the doors are all pneumatically-driven to slide/raise, etc. Because we're documenting all our current and upcoming projects, our design umbrella is "cool from every angle." And this also means that all the lights are RGB LED's which can be individually addressed, colored, and dimmed for exposure and composition purposes. Lighting in the shop can be localized for a series of dramatic looks, or put into a task configuration, so we can see what we're doing. :) This is all part of our new shop outside Orlando. We've got 40'x 80' x 18' of space to play with in the main area, plus bathroom and loft; just have to leave the central area open for large-format pieces, with CNC, paint booth, woodworking, and metalworking basically occupying the outer quadrants. We never do stuff for ourselves, but thought this would not only be inspiring but a sort of living portfolio.
Looks fantastic! I live in Orlando. Would love to see the facility sometime if possible.

Jon Laymon

So... needed some panel lights. Rebelscum had done some fantastic ones, and had posted some early drawings and dimensions in a couple threads. He was in possession of an original (always such a warm, comforting feeling of assurance!), but in the end, we had to go with our gut and photogrammetric analysis and derive a slightly different profile for the lens' inner steps. Here is the CAD rendering of what we've sent to manufacture:

DS_PANEL_LIGHT_FINAL.jpg

We also came up with a slightly different, and simpler, mounting assembly. We didn't want to close off any of the access to the lens itself - the originals were fully open-backed, so we just turned the whole thing into a press-fit affair. Lots of semi-permanent, and permanent ways to secure them. We'll be boring 1.5" holes, and just sliding these in. With fully open backs, we have tons of flexibility in terms of the nature, size, and distance of the light sources to tweak the look, and avoid hotspots.

PANEL_XRAY.jpg

The mounting rings are being made from 6061 aluminum, polished, and the lenses tinted resin. More on that when we start assembling them.

Jon Laymon

This panel type shows up a lot on the Death Star and no two are exactly alike. We know we're close, but just don't have references good enough to get this any closer yet. Perhaps some will surface one day. Until then, reference on the left, CAD render on the right.

DSG_PANEL_1.jpg

Jon Laymon

Another one that's a touch tricky. We don't know what those original black/blue "buttons" were on the originals, but since ours are actually going to function, we're making custom momentary switches to control lights, doors, and other functions.

DS_DOOR_PANEL_WIP.jpg

Last edited:

thd9791

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
You're looking at square switch lenses I think, the darker color around the edges happens from refraction through more plastic, the rank badges in ESB have rectangular ones

As for the red panels, do you have a paterson chemical tray for measurements? Contact Printer

Last edited:

teecrooz

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
*Updated to consolidate some of the info.

First identified here by Storm, and not brought up again since from what I can tell: Death Star GROUP BUILDING / Dentention Block

That is right but you need to get the correct size one. I bought all four versions earlier this year.

The left two (619 and 620) are too small. The right two (621 and 623) are the right size. At least the two vintage ones I bought had identical back plates. The website lists different dimensions for some reason.

6CA40C41-00BD-4C10-9342-7A9D3B654A08.png
4056D9D9-E7EE-42A3-B12E-2E1931AE45B2.jpeg

Can’s have a discovery listed without wavy lines:
D0E2B44D-6DAC-4D81-B4C4-FE57461D8490.jpeg F29232CE-8734-45FD-B4A1-0E9894240394.jpeg

Where I am at:
A59F2902-43A1-4B05-A629-5A1EE268F0B0.jpeg
F6CB30D0-76D4-4A73-9166-71BDB98A00E6.jpeg

Last edited:

Jon Laymon

The PTP series consists of the 619, 620, 621, and 623. We're looking for the 623?