Death Star Micro Tiles + Trench Run (STL files V8 available)

First weekend update - I just posted another update to the tile STL files.

Here's the release notes - no new tile designs, but some minor adjustments based on printing experience, and some aggregates for convenience:

Detail Tweaking​

This is a minor update with some tweaks based on printing experience - some of the fine detail on some tiles has been enlarged somewhat (primarily given more vertical offset, though some raised lines have also been thickened) to be more distinct. Modified tiles are highlighted in magenta in the picture below.

1602464916741.png

Arrangements​

I've also included some 4x4 tile arrangements in the 40x40 tile folder. These are either mostly patterns of tile arrangements found on the original Death Star (or as close to them as can be with the set of tiles I've modeled so far) and some originals. These don't contain any new details beyond what you can already find in the 20x20 tiles, but they should make it more convenient to print and assemble some of the common tile patterns, such as the classic loop.

1602464922545.png

Current state of the trench run build:

IMG_6273.jpeg

I've completed tiling the whole thing, and been detailing the backsides, imagining Death Star understructure. Actually, my process for the understructure is basically one of using up scraps, sprues, off-cuts, and failed experiments, trying to build complexity in layers. For this one, at any rate, it's not planned at all - just going through my boxes of random junk one piece at a time and seeing where it fits.

IMG_6314.jpeg

Looking at how I built this with one removable side, it's fun to imagine a future version that's completely modular and re-arrangeable.

IMG_6303.jpeg

IMG_6311.jpeg

Not sure I'll ever build another one, but I'll almost certainly at least do some digital design work for how to make modular Death Star sections that can click together with magnets in any configuration.

I've been getting a little behind on the updates, so here's a status dump.

I added the gun turret cannons, using turned brass barrels from Metal upgrade sets for scale plastic models - Master again (one of my favorite small scale greeble sources - they do absolutely beautiful work; highly recommended).

IMG_6351.jpeg
IMG_6353.jpeg
IMG_6356.jpeg

Lookin' good in the long morning light:

IMG_6379.jpeg

Here's a look at the greebling of the understructure -- just trying to build up the visual complexity layer by layer by using up scrap styrene off cuts cast parts, and odd pieces of tubing.

IMG_0016.jpeg

IMG_0018.jpeg

Primed in black (with Games Workshop's Chaos Black), and then base coated with Tamiya Fine Surface Primer -- gray for the top side, and red oxide for the understructure. Sprayed at an angle to preserve some shadowing from the black primer.
IMG_0092.jpeg
IMG_0101.jpeg
IMG_0105.jpeg
IMG_0109.jpeg
IMG_0113.jpeg

And that brings it up to date! Next up is some detailing -- painting black inside some of the vents, adding some filters for mixing up the tile colors, etc...

Primed in black (with Games Workshop's Chaos Black), and then base coated with Tamiya Fine Surface Primer -- gray for the top side, and red oxide for the understructure. Sprayed at an angle to preserve some shadowing from the black primer.View attachment 1362400View attachment 1362401View attachment 1362402View attachment 1362403View attachment 1362404

And that brings it up to date! Next up is some detailing -- painting black inside some of the vents, adding some filters for mixing up the tile colors, etc...
It looks amazing! Thanks for sharing your work (and files)!

Its like Death Star Legos. Flashback to childhood me, I'll be sitting for hours on the floor mixing and matching.... :lol:

So, apparently I just can't stop modelling more tiles for 3D printing. I went back and re-created some of the classic tiles from scratch, with more of an eye to accuracy (adjusted for the tiny scale, of course). Created a new set of some of the core tiles from ANH that are *much* more visually in line with the originals, as well as adding more detail to some of the existing tiles and arrangements, based on now having some experience in exactly what translates well when printed on something like a Form 3 or a Sonic 4K.
Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 1.35.46 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 1.35.54 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 1.36.04 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 1.36.28 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 1.36.48 PM.jpg

I also modeled a few new tiles in the style of the originals.

Last edited:
Here's one example of re-modeling and increasing the level of detail -- the first tile here is based on the templates I made for the Cricut machine to cut out, from my first hand-made tile set. It's pretty detailed for hand assembled sheet styrene, but not for what a resin 3D printer can accomplish.

Screen Shot 2020-10-31 at 2.42.24 PM.jpg

And here's the updated version -- I went back and modeled the two upper quadrants of this as 20mm tiles themselves, working off of several original tile references, then shrunk them down to 10mm and adjusted the detail level somewhat.

Screen Shot 2020-10-31 at 2.42.36 PM.jpg

Great job overall...but for a small problem; the top of your gun tower seems a bit sloppy. The side looks like it's drooping a little. My eyes went directly to that spot since it's not as sharp as its environment. I know, using this type of scale can be tricky...my 2 cents;)

Yes, well, that was hand assembled out of pieces of styrene much, much smaller than my fingers -- you don't always get 3D-printing level sharpness with handmade :). It's part of the charm! And authentic too -- some of the small scale original props are sloppy as heck :lol:

Sure, I`ve seen the original but a lot of those are just a passing blur in front of the camera (except for a hero model, of course). Since yours is a diorama, people will have all the time in the world to look at the minute details;) But, again: if you`re happy with the results, that`s all that matter in the end:)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back