Death Star Micro Tiles + Trench Run (STL files V8 available)

Dude! Those are amazing! What’s your photo process like? I need to start shooting my own models like that
Thank you! The process is pretty simple, really. Just setup the model with the appropriate "space lighting" for the scene, take a couple shots, and the rest is done in post. I use my wife's DSLR and lights. Figuring out the correct perspective for each ship (if there are multiple ships in a shot) can be a challenge sometimes, but this photo was pretty simple. Just had to line up the X-Wing to look like it was flying down the trench. I wanted to recreate the box art that's on the Bandai Death Star Attack set. It felt really kinetic and cool.

81xWn9NyWxL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Here's a layer breakdown for that image:

As well as a few others if you're interested:

And this one shows a little bit more of the process:

Anyway. That's probably a bit more than you asked for. Just a personal project of mine that I've been doing for the last few years. I post everything on Instagram as well, if you're into that.

Again, thanks for these awesome DS tiles!

SB

EDIT: Actually, Google Photos just reminded me that I was doing this exactly a year ago today. Cool cool. Definitely not perfect, but good enough for what I needed it for.

IMG_0352.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, that's funny -- I'd already seen them on instagram (following you there), but totally didn't make the connection right away. I love the video breakdowns - thanks for those! Its a pretty awesome project. Inspiring me to put a little more effort into my photography; before iPhone cameras go so good I shot everything with my Micro 4/3 camera gear -- I should get back into that habit :D

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back