Death Star Micro Tiles + Trench Run (STL files V5 available)

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

monsterpartyhat

Sr Member
Well, consider the audience -- I my post close up photos on the internet because I enjoy sharing, but the audience for the actual diorama is me; it sits on a shelf about a meter away; at that distance none of the flaws are visible unless I use Luke's macro-binoculars :D

(actually, that would suck -- the display on those things is low res 1980s interlaced CRT as hell)

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

monsterpartyhat

Sr Member
I know it's been a long time since I posted an update here -- for the most part my micro trench has sat partially painted while I worked on lots of other projects. Well, I just picked up the full set of Archive-X acrylic paints, and have added a few touches. I misted a coat of ILM DS Surface Grey on the whole thing, which is just slightly lighter than Tamiya grey primer.

Then I masked off and airbrushed some details of ILM DS Olive Oxide and Dark Reefer Grey, both of which appear on various parts of various tiles. I picked where to put both of them fairly randomly. Some masked off, and some done freehand with the airbrush, just like the originals.

IMG_7025.jpeg

IMG_7026.jpeg

IMG_7028.jpeg

monsterpartyhat

Sr Member
So -- first off, if you're following this thread and have somehow missed 3DImpact's Death Star surface thread, go check it out immediately, I'll wait. Death Star surface - pyro model reproduction

OK, cool, right?

That inspired me to return to mine -- when I built most of my 20mm tile set last year, I did an arrangement of _most_ of the pyro surface model in SketchUp, but never finished it because (a) there were some tiles I couldn't identify, and (b) there were some tiles I hadn't modeled yet. With the help of the reference material 3DImpact kindly posted I've nearly finished modeling everything I need to complete it.

1631634438911.png

1631634464430.png

So I'm getting another tile set release ready -- in these screenshots all the bright green tiles are new, the hot pink ones are changed (just adding additional detail to existing tiles). The grey ones are the core set of tiles based on what you see on screen.

1631634741820.png

I'll be ordering test prints of the new ones shortly, and I'll have an updated set of files posted once I know they're actually printable.

JNordgren42

So -- first off, if you're following this thread and have somehow missed 3DImpact's Death Star surface thread, go check it out immediately, I'll wait. Death Star surface - pyro model reproduction

OK, cool, right?

That inspired me to return to mine -- when I built most of my 20mm tile set last year, I did an arrangement of _most_ of the pyro surface model in SketchUp, but never finished it because (a) there were some tiles I couldn't identify, and (b) there were some tiles I hadn't modeled yet. With the help of the reference material 3DImpact kindly posted I've nearly finished modeling everything I need to complete it.

View attachment 1494616

View attachment 1494617

So I'm getting another tile set release ready -- in these screenshots all the bright green tiles are new, the hot pink ones are changed (just adding additional detail to existing tiles). The grey ones are the core set of tiles based on what you see on screen.

View attachment 1494618

I'll be ordering test prints of the new ones shortly, and I'll have an updated set of files posted once I know they're actually printable.

Fantastic! I just got my Elegoo Saturn last month and it would be great to print some of these out.

monsterpartyhat

Sr Member
I haven't quite had the time to finish getting all the individual STLs exported and cleaned up, but I'm getting there. I spent a lot more time working on the 40mm version of the whatever you call this tile -- the big vent with the quarter arc. Since it's a larger tile, and quite prominent in the pyro model, I wanted to get it a little closer to the real thing than the micro-sized version, and add more detail befitting the larger size. It's not anything approaching "accurate", but it feels a lot more like the real thing than the scaled-up micro tile did.
Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 11.05.51 AM.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.