Death Star GROUP BUILDING / Dentention Block

Storm

DETENTION BLOCK / DEATH STAR

up the 11/03/2018

**************************************************************************************************************

1/ Introduction:

Hello,

I plan to recreate sets of the death star and i start with the detention block in Star Wars ANH. I want to make them the most accurate as possible.

For the moment, i am making the plan with the blue print / images.
I am also referencing and collecting all the components as the cameras etc
Would be great to recreate those famous place of the death star.

My profession, I do project managmenent (Building).

My goal is recreate sets of the death star in 2D / 3D and next build it.

- Detention Block
- Control Room
- Reunion Room
- corridor
etc

**************************************************************************************************************

2/ Modelisation 3D

I first used the blueprints. They are false in some details but give a an idea of the area and help for the begging of the drawing.

For the modelisation, I use SketchUp. When I will be happy with result, I will pass it on autocad for the 2D . And next in 3DSmax for the 3D

3/ Referencement/ in possesion
In order to make the set screen used, I have to referenced all the part used on this set .

Death star camera: Trident Paterson viewer, for the moment I got 10 of them, (need to buy 8 more )

Blast door command: original part: Paterson contact proof printer 35 mm
Two different size of the blast door command in the death star.

Black camera prop: original part , need some little modification and ready.
I have to copy it by thermoforming as the screen used and launch a run .

control room Holder pencil dedalino

Elbow
hirk.jpg

4/ Need to buy

If you sell parts contact me in private message ..

- death star lights: somebody was selling replica of them here, i have contact him but no response. And i believe that with the number of light needed, better to cast and copy them from an original.

- Death star camera: Trident Paterson viewer x 8

- Michell Hydraulic Reference Transcriptor parts

- Twinflow Cistern Syphon , part of the sandtrooper backpack

4/ Need to identify

Detention Block

1 - Palett used for the floor of the set???

2- command panels (many parts here)

those are in the control room and detention block, they are things as if we could catch them with our hands.

3- tube on the blast door,
there are in the inside as lines and on the upper of the tube we see 3 different mark ? motor part?

Control Room

1- ?

2- ?

3- ?

4- ? Center part: Dedalino pencil holder

5- screen model??

6- ?

7- ?

hirk.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I look forward to seeing your progress! Nice work on the 3d modelling so far.
This is going to be such a great build ;)

Part 4 (Detention Block) - not a pencil holder but part of the Strom/Sandtrooper back pack, part of the already found Twinflow Cistern Syphon. I think an RPF member or two may have the correct items, or at least replicas.

Here's a comp of the wall greeblie with the part you have. It's close and I think the size of the part you have is right, a different model of course but finding the exact part in the wild is very difficult unless you have taken apart the right thing lol.

Tie and DS panel 1b.jpg

Tie and DS panel 1b.jpg

Part 1 & 2 (Control Room) - same as the parts used on the Falcon's Navcom. I'm not sure what 2 is but I am looking for it too so it will be found ...eventually lol!
Part 1 is (as close as I can work out) a modified cast of the blue milk jug. If you wrap something like clingfilm around the jug you reduce the side indent detail but still retain a similar shape as the prop. After casting the outside, the inside of the cast is now wide enough to put a blue light flat in the bottom of it (same as the Navcom version). The same idea is used on the prison cell entry panel. This is my best guess on that so far but I can test the theory out later with the parts,

Part 4 (Control Room) - centre black part is a Dedalino pencil holder.

Thank you so much for all the information!

the difference for the camera is small , the part seems quasi identical. Only the 3 hole on the three top, before the vaccumforming i have to modify a little the part here.

part 1 & 2 (Control room): have you got a picture of the original blue milk jug used? sorry for my poor level in english i have not undertand all ^^'

Last edited:
This is going to be SO much fun! Let me know if there is anything I can do to help! :)

Out of curiosity... "where are you building this... thing" ;)

Wow, nice project! and from France too!
The only issue for me is that I'm researching paterson viewers since April last year, have only 2 correct ones so far (and a 2 colors one) and now I know that someone is going to fight with me to buy them...
good luck man :)

thanks everybody :)

SofaKings01, thanks very appreciate , i am a big fan of what you're doing with the falcon! i have learn of lots of things about originals parts with your topic :)

Now i don't need a lot of space, working with the computer and collecting all the parts.
We've start today building a vaccum forming machine 800 x 600 millimeter for the cast of the camera.

The set build consist of a lot of panels and metallic structure. We have to make all that panels when finals plans ok, i have got the place to build and stock them .

For the detention block assemblage , it need 4 meter from ground to the top, i can not construct it in a house => a hangar
I think doing the real ceiling is important too and more realistic.

Eethan, from where? :)
You can sell me yours? :angel:lol :ppp
good luck too! , you want to make a single camera? :)

Stormy320, yes warehouse for the assemblage of all the scene ; )

I'm late commenting on this, but also wanted to voice my support and interest for this - sounds like a great project and I'll be watching with great interest!

I too was recently trying to obtain some of the replica panel lights and even an entire detention block camera assembly, but the contact here on the forum seems to have run out of production volume on those and I fear they are just no longer available. Pity, as those replicas looked great and I'm not sure if there are another sources for those. I'd sure support that provider if he were to start production again...

Dan

Diameter light

on the panel, a glass panel , this is why there is this second line who delimited the side of the panel.

Last edited:
Yes i found it some month ago

It is a part of a Paterson (once again hohoho) contact proof printer 35 mm :)

Carefull different size and little variation . Plastic model!

_d3s1116.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back