Limited Run Death Star detention center dome lights! polished aluminium and resin

eethan

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello there!

It's finally time to open that much anticipated run!

lights.jpg

I tried to go as far as possible in the accuracy and details of the lights. The details and measurements are based on references of the real found parts as well as stills from the movie. I decided to take a different road from the previous offering there was of those dome lights to try to reproduce the overall shape of the object as well as the very particular look of the bezel going "around" the plastic dome, and not the dome just sitting on top of a thick bezel. The original bezel are made of thin sheet metal and I feel I managed to reproduce that look very nicelly with the way I chose to assemble both parts :)

here is a small comp :
comp_lights.jpg

So, as usual with my props, no sub-contracting to China, no subcontracting at all actually, everything is handmade with a lot of passion, time and care by me in the south of France :) All the bezels are hand turned from aluminium, then sanded on the lathe for a nice smooth surface, and finally each receiving the "Wonderpolish" one by one, that is of course the carefull polishing by my wife Wonder Knight that managed to help on this project thankfully!

The domes are done pretty much the same way, they are resin printed with anycubic plant based resin. There was an actual day of testing for each colour until I was perfectly happy with the result and the colour seemed deep and natural enough and of course, as close as possible to both the movie and the real life part references. Each dome is then sanded one by one on the lathe and finally polished by my wife on the polish wheel with several fine compounds. Everything is then fitted by me one by one, with the lights added and tested in the case of the light up version.

Small detail, you'll notice that I call the yellow lights "amber", those yellow lights were the most difficult colour to achieve and I really didn't want to have a fluo yellow like I had previously seen. I call them amber for the reason that they are called that way on those very cool vintage arcades that helped me a lot fine tune the colours :
0d151adf-a2f3-48ee-b2c8-61ee668413bc.jpg

By the way, I love those arcades and I'm really loving the idea to possibly offer replicated wood front panels or inspired smaller panels with lights on them for the collectors that would like to display those in their collection to show from what the lights possibly came from in the movie, don't hesitate to tell me if this is something you would like to see :)

This was a very hard project and obviously nothing is ever perfect, and those being handmade, I feel they have that very natural, realistic vintage look to them. I'm really happy with the result however and I hope you'll like them!

I'm offering two options:

1 - normal version with no led : 35€ + shipping

2 - light up version with a 8mm bezel and nut in the back : 37,5€ + shipping

Same as for my Blade Runner badges and hellboy bullets, There is a 10% discount when you buy 4 or more lamps :) As it would seem that all the cameras in Star Wars have 4 lights, I'm guessing this is what will happen for most orders anyways :)
shipping is not included in the prices. Shipping cost worldwide should start at 6.5€ for one or two lights and 11€ for 3 to 7 lights :) Make sure to create your account on the website and enter your address, shipping costs shown by default are for France if you are not connected. Do not think you need to take the more expensive option if available, it is not necessary, both options are tracked and the more expensive option is there for the bigger packages.

I hope the price doesn't seem too expensive, I tried to match as much as possible to previous offering and worked really hard to achieve that, I can honestly tell you that this barelly pays for the material and time invested in the project and I am genuinely exausted after almost finishing a hundred of them (200 after the second run!) :)

The normal version:
blue_light_01.jpg
blue_light_02.jpg

This version has no hole in the back, and offers a very reflective surface on the inside. In some light conditions, it almost looks like the domes are lit!
inside lights.jpg

Those can be simply double taped to your objects or glued :)

the light up version:
red_light_FX.jpg

this version comes with a pre-wired led attached to it with a 8mm bezel. This means you need to do a 8mm hole on the object you want to attach it to. after the hole is done, you can simply use the nut from the bezel to secure your dome to your object. just hold the wires or bezels with two fingers while you thread the nut, pretty easy to do! The wires are 20cm long, hopefully long enough for what you have in mind.

The leds are intended for a power supply of max DC12V 20mA but their luminosity is good with weaker power too. The positive wire is black. The leds are obviously not made by me and no warranty is given regarding their life span or anything else. However, each led was tested during assembly :)

Just to make sure it's crystal clear, be aware that there is a 8mm led bezel coming out of the back side of the dome light, it needs a hole to be attached :) If you want something flat, and don't want a hole to be made in your objects, take the normal version instead :)
IMG_0719.jpg

I tried to take photos of the led lit up, but it's not easy to represent accurately what the lights look like in person on a photo, but here they are:
DSC03680.jpg
DSC03682.jpg

How to service the lights:

The lights come completely assembled. In case you need to open them, just know that they are not glued, just lightly pressure fit together. The normal lights can be tricky to open up and there is no real reason to do so, but in case you need, I recommend using a piece of strong tape on the dome light, then pull gently until it hopefully comes out of the bezel. For the light up version, you can do the same if the light is assembled to an object, or you can remove the nut from the bezel and push gently on the led bezel to put pressure on the plastic dome, it should come out relatively easily that way. Be carefull if you need to do that, you never know what can happen and it would be a pity to damage the plastic dome.
In the unlickly event you need to change the led on the light up version, I had to be a bit creative with the bezels to have the best diffusion of light and the best lighting result and the leds are put from the front of the bezel, so they are not removable from the back, you'll need to remove the plastic dome as explained above to service the led.

How/Where to buy:

As usual, everything I sell can only be purchased on my website, supergreenprops.com:

Supergreen props - Handcrafted collectibles

I am obligated by the French law to edit an invoice for any money that goes into my bank account and the invoices have to be sequenced. The only way for me to handle that is through my website. It is easy for you, the website is fun and bilingual, it is perfectly secured and the payments completely handled by Paypal. You just need to register, enter your shipping address and the shipping costs will be calculated automatically. Make sure to enter your address as soon as you create your account as shipping costs are shown for France by default.

I know that some people might feel uncomfortable with a website, but please understand that I have no choice and that, even though there is a website, it’s still me, eethan/Matthieu, behind everything and you can reach out anytime for any question here or by mail contact@supergreenprops.com

I’ll always be happy to help or have a chat; really, you know I’m a friendly and talkative guy and love to talk about cool props, so, don’t hesitate!

Payment:

As explained above, I am obligated by the law to edit a sequenced invoice with all my sales, this goes exclusively through my website. The payments are completely handled by Paypal checkout, with buyer protection, and you can choose to pay directly with paypal, credit cards through Paypal (even if you don’t have a Paypal account), or even local payment options like iDeal, Sofort, Bancontact, Giropay, MyBank, P24, EPS... At no time will I have access to your payment information or bank details, never. When the order is paid, you’ll receive confirmations by mail for every step of the order and an invoice.

Shipping:

When you are logged in and have created an address, shipping costs are automatically calculated in your cart. There are two options, less than 3cm in thickness or more than 3cm. I encourage you to take the less than 3cm option when available as it is much cheaper and still tracked :)

All shipments are shipped with the French post service and tracked; you’ll receive the tracking number by mail when the package ships. It can be tracked directly on your local post website, usps, royal mail and so on. No need to use the French post website link included in the shipping notice mail if you are not in France. If you didn’t receive a tracking number, please check in your spam folder or don’t hesitate to contact me, it’s important to get it :)

Shipping time varies greatly and we all know it has been pretty unreliable lately, however, to give you an idea, it should usually take between 5 to 12 working days to get from France to the US, there can be some rare wild exceptions that I sadly can’t foresee, however, so far, I have never had a lost package, so fingers crossed, it continues that way!

Customs taxes:

All orders are shipped from France. If you are outside Europe, it is possible that your country collects customs taxes or fees, I can only let you know that this is a possibility and encourage you to know how your country deals with international packages and know if you have to pay taxes and how much they are. Please understand that this is out of my control.

Always eco-friendly whenever possible:

As I explain on my website, I try to be as eco-friendly as possible. I live and work in a farm in the south of France, I have all kind of animals around me and we try to respect nature as much as possible. We have a hedgehog in the garden and a lot of bees coming back lately, so hopefully things are taking a better turn!
This kind of work, let's be honest is not by definition eco-friendly since it's purely for our enjoyment and not something we all need to survive (or do we?). That being said, I do my best to always use recycled and recyclable shipping materials or even clean re-used materials sometimes. I also try to do as much as I can for the projects themselves.
By the way, the French post service that I’m using is 100% carbon neutral since 2012 :) that is only for France obviously, but that’s already something I guess :)

All right! I hope that I didn't forget anything. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me for any question, I’ll be happy to answer them or have a small chat with you as usual
:)

studio_02.jpg

studio_03.jpg

Last edited:
Ok guys, it seems most of the non FX are already sold out even with a small kickup that i'll need to work out as it seems two people ordered at the same time and i have a negative number on one!

FX are still in stock and i'll be restocking the non FX later this week, don't worry!!

I ordered a yellow and red FX version. Can they be disassembled to be attached flat like the static versions?

thank you so much guys!
I'm starting to feel a bit sorry because those are getting out of stock fast, no red left already and I feel people are starting to order FX when they wanted static just to be sure to have some.
please be patient, I'll be adding more static in the days to come, if you don't want an FX version, it's better to wait.
I'll also be trying to make more if people ask for more, I'm exausted by this project but I did it because people needed those and no one was doing them, I don't want to leave some people empty handed after giving them false hopes :)
thank you so much for the interest so far people, never had such quick sales before!

Can someone confirm that all four colors are used on all of the screen used cameras? Most screen captures show red and yellow lights on the top of the array, and on one of the camera arrays I have seen blue and green on the bottom, but I haven’t seen all four lights on one camera.

on all the cameras we see in close up, one has yellow and blue on top:
StarWarsEpisode4ANewHope1977BluRay1080pDTSES612Audiox264-CHDmkv_snapshot_011456_20120304_082348.jpg

the others have yellow and red.
we can't really say for sure what the bottom of the cameras have. i think the only shot we see the bottom colours is this one, there we can see red and yellow and I think red and green or blue maybe?:
1138_Episode_IV.png~original.png

I'm not sure we can say for sure what each camera has on top and bottom.

These are absolutely gorgeous!
I’m sad, I must wait for the next run. #1, I need a payday. #2, some of the colors have already sold out. By the way, congratulations on that (y)
You have completely knocked these out of the park. They are spectacular :love:
& the other thing that’s way cool…. I have never seen where these originated from! That’s so cool just to see that!

These are absolutely gorgeous!
I’m sad, I must wait for the next run. #1, I need a payday. #2, some of the colors have already sold out. By the way, congratulations on that (y)
You have completely knocked these out of the park. They are spectacular :love:
& the other thing that’s way cool…. I have never seen where these originated from! That’s so cool just to see that!
thank you so much for the nice comment and really sorry that you are missing out so far! this is my fault as I do everything by hand and have trouble doing large numbers! I'll continue to work hard to try to satisfy everybody as much as I can!

indeed, those arcades are super col! and there is no way to be sure from what the lights actually originated as there are a LOT of those lights in the death star, so maybe they just had a stock from the time, from the same supplier that the guys building the arcades and the foundry were using.

Those arcades are very very rare and very very nice pieces of history and I hope people don't destroy them for the lights though! that's why I'm offering to possibly build a few high end wood panels for the people interested in those :)

cheers

I’ll be keeping an eye on your website.
& definitely mark me as interested in an arcade wood panel, if you do them (y)

Bravo on these lights man. Really, a job well done sir!

I’ll be keeping an eye on your website.
& definitely mark me as interested in an arcade wood panel, if you do them (y)

Bravo on these lights man. Really, a job well done sir!
for the wood panels, that is something I would really like to do. however, probably not a run, more something that needs to be discussed with people interested directly. And I can do anything, from a full replica of the front panel, a smaller panel with less lights and some of the main feature or even just a strip of lights on white perplex with a bit of wood around, anything is possible and can be discussed. This would not be cheap of course, you can already get an idea from the number of light you want with the prices here, but i feel this would be very cool, definitelly something I would like myself as those arcade are extremely cool and rare and I love to display the original parts next to how they were transform in Star Wars :)

thanks again, i really appreciate the positive comments :)

Guys, just want to say again, I'm sure I haven't done enough for everyone now, as already said, there will be 30 more static dome lights coming in the days to come. But i'm sure i'll need to do more than that to make everybody happy now.

Please do not rush and order something you didn't want, I'll try to make sure you get the colors and number you want in time, it's probably better to wait than order something you would not have really chosen otherwise :)

sorry that I couldn't make enough stock for everyone so far, and thank you again to all those that already ordered, i really appreciate your support so far :)

It's night time for me soon, so i'll not be there anymore to answer questions :)

Sheesh I guess I saw this too late -- I was able to get a couple each of blue, green & amber but red sold out. Will there be more later?

edit:
Hah, you posted the above just as I was hitting the post button. I'll be getting more for sure.

sorry guys! sorry sorry sorry! I never had a run sell out this fast obviously! 30 more static coming soon and please don't hesitate to post here your interest for the rest so I kind of know what is required in the future :)
thank you again! (y)

sorry guys! sorry sorry sorry! I never had a run sell out this fast obviously! 30 more static coming soon and please don't hesitate to post here your interest for the rest so I kind of know what is required in the future :)
thank you again! (y)
I'm gonna want 4 red and 2 each of the other colors.

Specific want list:
2 red FX
2 red static
2 blue static
2 green static
2 amber static

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back