Deagostini Falcon. Anyone seen this?

Anyone got some good tips on how to weather and paint the quad guns? I am new to modeling and still learning the tricks.
I filed, primed and sprayed the guns with Tamyia Insignia white as per Steve Dysmzo's video but not sure on how to weather it. Any tips from people that have done theirs would be appreciated from a newb

Anyone got some good tips on how to weather and paint the quad guns? I am new to modeling and still learning the tricks.
I filed, primed and sprayed the guns with Tamyia Insignia white as per Steve Dysmzo's video but not sure on how to weather it. Any tips from people that have done theirs would be appreciated from a newb 

I would suggest that you leave the weathering until the end, that's what I've always done in many years of scale aircraft, armour and rail modelling. Why? 1. Doing all of the parts at once lets you build up a consistent effect. 2. Later in the series there will be articles by Steve Dysmzo explaining the techniques used on the actual filming model, the locations here each effect is used and how to replicate it.

I would suggest that you leave the weathering until the end, that's what I've always done in many years of scale aircraft, armour and rail modelling. Why? 1. Doing all of the parts at once lets you build up a consistent effect. 2. Later in the series there will be articles by Steve Dysmzo explaining the techniques used on the actual filming model, the locations here each effect is used and how to replicate it.

I whole heartly agree... wait til the whole hull is together before you attempt to do any weathering. If you attempt to do it while you're going along during the build all the weathering will look patchworked and not consistant. So I would wait until you get everything external together before you even begin thinking about weathering the hull. Reason being mainly is because weathering is the last and final coat you would have on the surface of the model. You wouldn't start a painting with birds in the sky and then paint the sky around them would you? I didn't think so! :)

lol perfect metaphor. Or simile? Pfft whatever I've had lots f wine tonight!,m,,

Thanks... the way I see it is this... there is a certain order in which you paint any model.

1st Layer - This is the hole filling layer, usually not painted, fill in all the holes and seams with putty and sand them smooth until they "feel" smooth to the touch. If you can run your fingertip across it and not feel the seam anymore it's pretty good.

2nd Layer - Primer - This is the first layer of "paint" you actually put on the model. Make sure you cover any windows or clear canopies first before spraying primer down. Leave them covered until later. It will allow you to see any flaws in your seams and flaws filling layer above. If you see any visable problems, repeat Layer 1.

3rd Layer - Base Coat - This is the primary color of the model... if the model is basically white, paint this white... if it's tan, paint everything tan.

4th Layer - Shadow Details - At this point, using a darker color (usually a couple shades darker then the Base Coat above or just a black works in most instances) spray the little nooks and crannies. Make sure everything that looks like it could cast a shadow is hit with this color.

5th Layer - Highlight Details - This is the same color as the base color only a tad lighter. Hit all the areas that look like they could be highlighted by light. Also lightly dust over the seriously dark areas of the in the Shadow Layer above.

6th Layer - Weathering - This is the final paint layer. This is where all the details of how rain would carrode the surface of the model.

7th Layer - Clear Coat Sealer - A final Clear Coat of dull will seal everything in!

Hope this helps! Lemme know!

I whole heartly agree... wait til the whole hull is together before you attempt to do any weathering. If you attempt to do it while you're going along during the build all the weathering will look patchworked and not consistant. So I would wait until you get everything external together before you even begin thinking about weathering the hull. Reason being mainly is because weathering is the last and final coat you would have on the surface of the model. You wouldn't start a painting with birds in the sky and then paint the sky around them would you? I didn't think so! :)

I keep wondering why people are building and paint ing when the model is not even complete? That's getting way too keen . Interior yeah ok. But the exterior panels definitely better to wait until you have everything. Mismatched panels galore otherwise

can i just add that the primer colour has a huge impact on what the top coat shade will be.

i've just been doing some experiments using black, white, gray and red oxide primers and one colour of topcoat. (not falcon related)

the difference is really shocking, its like i've used a different colour on the top coat each time. something to think about when you get around to painting this thing.

personally i like the lighter look of the falcon so will probably plump for a white primer (tamiya)

i don't like that beige colour at all. i'm gonna go for a realistic type of paint job rather than trying to copy the studio model.

- - - Updated - - -

I keep wondering why people are building and paint ing when the model is not even complete? That's getting way too keen . Interior yeah ok. But the exterior panels definitely better to wait until you have everything. Mismatched panels galore otherwise

agreed and they are painting areas where other parts are clearly meant to go on top, now they have a layer of paint to remove or try and make it stick to the paint.

Thanks everyone good idea, base coat is on so will wait for now :)

can i just add that the primer colour has a huge impact on what the top coat shade will be.
i've just been doing some experiments using black, white, gray and red oxide primers and one colour of topcoat. (not falcon related)
the difference is really shocking, its like i've used a different colour on the top coat each time. something to think about when you get around to painting this thing.
personally i like the lighter look of the falcon so will probably plump for a white primer (tamiya)
i don't like that beige colour at all. i'm gonna go for a realistic type of paint job rather than trying to copy the studio model

Actually I wouldn't doubt that the ship itself was painted in a grey color scheme to begin with. I remember hearing somewhere that Concrete color was used primarily with Grime somewhere, but then again that was 30 years ago. Back then everyone smoked (even while working on it, several photos I've seen of behind the scene show them smoking while painting it) and I'm sure that added the beige tint to the color. But color is so very difficult to deduce when dealing with movies. Depending on what lighting they used at the time greatly effects the color that ship appears to be. If they used an incandescent lighting, it would give the entire ship a yellowish hue, but if they used tungsten, it would give it a more washed out white tint. So basically in the end, all you can do is try to get close to what you feel the color should actually be. Now as for the base primer colors, yes... it will affect the final look of the top layers color. But it's quite subtle. A darker primer layer will give the colors laid on top of it a darker, richer drab feel... whereas a lighter primer color in the white sceptrum produces a more vibrant and bright feel to the covering layers. I think that's why most primer colors are in a neutral gray range of colors because the gray won't effect the top layers of colors much at all. However, in the end, if you're happy with it and maintain the color consistancy, then that's all that truly really matters!

Last edited:
Base color was straight Floquil grime on the original. On a model this size it actually looks fairly light but has a slight yellowed look when compared to actual white. I'll likely be going with Steve D's recommendation of the Tamiya insignia white in the can. That stuff is tough as nails and makes an extremely smooth finish. The Floquil paints can get a very rough, sandy finish if a lot of care isn't used in regards to over-spray and the base of grime is extremely fragile until coated with a clear. Just running your fingernail lightly over it will result in a yellow streak in the finish.

I hate to say this but that's not exactly true about Grime being the definitive base color. Its merely speculation that has been accepted by the community. The only known color that was used is Concrete because when asked of one of the people that actually worked on the ship, the only color he remembers using was Concrete... but he basically stated that they would grab a color off the shelf and use it without keeping track of the actual color name. They really didn't keep any notes while making these models. None of them even thought the movie was going to be a hit. Matter of fact, they thought it was going to bomb and many people in the production would quit and be replaced with new people (thus resulting in the various techniques found that were used on the ship... some places were sanded... some were scraped away.. .etc). When the subject of using Floquil Grime came up, it appeared as if it were a pretty good match... however, that was a match to the current state of the ship, not while it was in production and like I said before, age and environment tend to "yellow" the paint. So its quite possible that NOW Floquil Grime would be a perfect match for the color of the ship we see today... however, during production, it's quite possible that the ship was painted in nothing but gray tones (as the only definitive paint we know was used was Floquil Concrete). So... in any event, I personally would probably use the custom mixed paints that Trackpads came out with, seeing as they are the only known paints exclusively designed for the Falcon itself.

I'm just going to say this now so I can say this as a warning and an I told you so. I've used Tamiya Insignia White on many star wars models, inducing the one pictured on my avatar. It looks good, but it is an overall cooler shade than the actual Falcon. It's been covered on other threads also. Steve D. didn't even use this color on the MR which was evident on the video. I'm not saying that it looks bad, I'm saying it's not necessarily the closest you can get.

I hate to say this but that's not exactly true about Grime being the definitive base color. Its merely speculation that has been accepted by the community. The only known color that was used is Concrete because when asked of one of the people that actually worked on the ship, the only color he remembers using was Concrete... but he basically stated that they would grab a color off the shelf and use it without keeping track of the actual color name. They really didn't keep any notes while making these models. None of them even thought the movie was going to be a hit. Matter of fact, they thought it was going to bomb and many people in the production would quit and be replaced with new people (thus resulting in the various techniques found that were used on the ship... some places were sanded... some were scraped away.. .etc). When the subject of using Floquil Grime came up, it appeared as if it were a pretty good match... however, that was a match to the current state of the ship, not while it was in production and like I said before, age and environment tend to "yellow" the paint. So its quite possible that NOW Floquil Grime would be a perfect match for the color of the ship we see today... however, during production, it's quite possible that the ship was painted in nothing but gray tones (as the only definitive paint we know was used was Floquil Concrete). So... in any event, I personally would probably use the custom mixed paints that Trackpads came out with, seeing as they are the only known paints exclusively designed for the Falcon itself.

I am not too sure it was painted Concrete. Concrete is quite a dark gray color compared to Grime which is considerably lighter. Usually paints darken over time as they age, not get lighter.
Anyway, I think I will go for a mix of Grime and Reefer White in the end, probably a 3:1 ratio.

On another note, I received my 5th Deag shipment today with Issues 17 - 20. I noticed the last couple of shipments did not come double-boxed. The magazines in the shipment got slightly crimped on the lower left corners and one bag was open on the side, luckily no parts were missing. I wish they still shipped them double boxed but I guess maybe they are trying to cut costs on shipping, but that may lead to bigger headaches for them down the road if shipments start getting damaged. I am not too miffed about the Mags but if I start receiving damaged parts then it won't be good. Anyone else still receiving their shipments double=boxed?

I am not too sure it was painted Concrete. Concrete is quite a dark gray color compared to Grime which is considerably lighter. Usually paints darken over time as they age, not get lighter.
Anyway, I think I will go for a mix of Grime and Reefer White in the end, probably a 3:1 ratio.

I was basically referring to the base coat... I'm sure they used maybe a Refer White on it and it has yellowed with age getting it close to the current Grime color we see today. Of course smoking around it and the heat of the halogen bulbs they used inside probably did a number on the paint job as well. I'm probably gonna use the Trackpads color set for mine. At least someone is attempting to standardize the colors so there isn't much debate anymore.

On another note, I received my 5th Deag shipment today with Issues 17 - 20. I noticed the last couple of shipments did not come double-boxed. The magazines in the shipment got slightly crimped on the lower left corners and one bag was open on the side, luckily no parts were missing. I wish they still shipped them double boxed but I guess maybe they are trying to cut costs on shipping, but that may lead to bigger headaches for them down the road if shipments start getting damaged. I am not too miffed about the Mags but if I start receiving damaged parts then it won't be good. Anyone else still receiving their shipments double=boxed?

Yeah I just got mine in too. I think since the second shipment they've just been using a single box for shipping... didn't make sense to me why they were double boxing it to begin with. It would be nice if they put the mags into a plastic bag before chugging them in the box. But this also means my binder is now full as well. So I'm gonna have to get another one before the next shipment. I know the last one I got was all banged up and dented. Wasn't very happy. May call and complain about it... dunno yet. I do know that in my recent move to a new house, as careful as I attempted to be in putting all the parts back into boxes, I lost one of the little small cresent controls for the cockpit console! If anyone has a spare they wanna sell me please let me know!

I have sent two contact forms to DeAgostini Germany about a release here, but got no answer yet. Was there ever an official confirmation that they will release it in Germany?

I never thought that I might subscribe to one of these, but reading this thread and seeing the original at Cologne really makes me think about it again...

Cheers,
Thorsten

Ok, reading through this thread from when I was last on here took forever!!

I took the plunge and subscribed during the shipping sale. Looking forward to getting started on this bad boy, but I've only received the first batch so far and I definitely want more of it before jumping in.... wish they'd let us catch up if we wanted.
Both Tony and Envisioned_Image will more than likely be getting my business on Shapeways as well.....

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back