DeAgostini / Altaya Star Destroyer

soulsaman

BCE83474-1700-4B9F-BC32-04D44BA80638.png

Just saw this posted on Facebook. I believe it’s being tested in Europe.

Attachments

• 07FCC78B-A5B2-4262-BBBF-2E5B6D7A0EEC.png
    07FCC78B-A5B2-4262-BBBF-2E5B6D7A0EEC.png
    716.4 KB · Views: 421
  • 511E4041-1985-43A8-9AA5-87DE582B171C.png
    511E4041-1985-43A8-9AA5-87DE582B171C.png
    601.7 KB · Views: 404
I have question for those that know more about how testing works for these builds: If I bought this first issue there’s no guarantee that I will see the rest of the kit issues released correct?

What If they decide to not finish the kit then Im stuck with useless kit parts? Has that ever happened in the past?

Last edited:
I have question for those that know more about how testing works for these builds: If I buy this first issue and buy it, there’s no guarantee that I will see the rest of the kit issued correct? If they decide to not finish the kit then Im stuck with useless kit parts?

That would be so cruel indeed. Just because of this I’ll wait till they finish the subscription [emoji23]
I won’t have space to display the SD though unless I sacrifice the garage [emoji23]

I have question for those that know more about how testing works for these builds: If I bought this first issue there’s no guarantee that I will see the rest of the kit issues released correct?

What If they decide to not finish the kit then Im stuck with useless kit parts? Has that ever happened in the past?
If I remember correctly there is usually 4 test issues per series for a very low price.
Issue one is 1€.

Sure. It's always a risk with any partworks kit. What if the supplier chooses to end a run, or goes out of business? Then the customer is left with a very expensive unfinishable model.

That seems rare, from what I can tell. Usually when a big partworks company commits to a model they release the entire thing. What's actually a bigger problem is customers who come into the build after the initial subscription is over. They typically face, with De Agostini at any rate, the risk of extremely long multi-month waits between parts shipments, or may even find some issues are never made available to them. Then they have to scour auction sites for parts scalpers, who charge high prices for specific issues.

I don't think that's what you're asking, though. You're asking if the initial test release of a handful of issues might be orphaned. There's precedent for that, I'd say. De Agostini did test runs of their Millennium Falcon, R2-D2, and X-wing kits, and eventually released the whole product run for them. However, they also did a test run of an AT-AT, and as far as I know never did a full production run on that design. A decade ago an Enterprise D partworks kit tanked after a few issues. So people who bought those test issues are left with a handful of parts that can never be built into a kit. However, as noted above, the test production issues are usually priced really low, so it shouldn't be a massive loss for the buyer.

Last edited:
Is this thing sitting on the vaparware shelf next to the Dragon Walker now? Hard to tell with the pandemic impacting things, too. But it's weird I haven't been able to find a single official manufacturer website on this.
Mike Todd

Is this thing sitting on the vaparware shelf next to the Dragon Walker now? Hard to tell with the pandemic impacting things, too. But it's weird I haven't been able to find a single official manufacturer website on this.
Mike Todd
It's being market-tested right now in order to determine interest. If I recall correctly, they send it out to limited numbers of magazine stands and if enough people show interest then they start manufacturing the kit.

I get the test marketing thing, but it just seems to me that the only evidence that almost any of us have is just one social media post--or a few.

No. This one is 91 cm long. It might be still be released but like a lot of things, timing is everything and this managed to come out at a very bad time.

TazMan2000

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back