Deadpool Costume Build Halloween 2015

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by wakeboardjedi, Aug 28, 2015.

1. wakeboardjedi

wakeboardjedi Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well, here is my attempt at the Deadpool movie costume for Halloween, so I have about two months to complete. I will update this thread as I make progress. I appreciate all the other work that has been documented on this site that has helped me build my skills. My hope is to maybe help someone else.

Here is the costume I made for Denver Comicon this year. This costume was the first thing I've measured, cut and sewed on my own without a pattern. It was a great learning experience and really made me appreciate people who make everyday clothing let alone awesome cosplay costumes. This one was "easy" in the sense that it was mostly spandex so exact measurements were not as crucial as I had the stretch of the material to compensate for incorrectly measured/cut pieces. All the black was spandex, the red was cordura.

qVI5EvU.jpg

The costume did well. No popped seams even with me puttingthe stretch of the two way material up and down on the pants instead of side to side like I should have. The only issue was the zipper on my hood got stuck and I had to pull/yank/tug the hood off of my head. A person who watched me do this said it was one of the most painful things she’s seen in a while. All of my hoods now are zipperless…..
    After looking at every costume thread SMPDesigns has done, I knew I wanted to make this costume in the same look/style that he makes his. If you are contemplating a costume, go look at all his build threads, there is a wealth of knowledge that he shares. All his costumes look like they could actually be used to fight crime and that’s what I like. Like SMP’s costumes, this Deadpool will be made with cordura, super spandex and the Kaufman Bisou Stretch Pique Red that is thought to be used on the movie costume.
    p0eftje.jpg

So, let’s get it going…..

I wanted to start with the top because I feel like that has the most stuff to do. I like getting the hard stuff out of the way. I plan on having 6 – 8 “panels” on my top, some will be spandex and some will be cordura.I have an idea of which ones I want to be what, but I’m not committing until I get to the main material part. The top will be front zip (like I think themovie has as well), have the sword holder attached to it and possibly attach to the pants (still not sure on that).
    Here is the beginning, building the sloper.

VeWbxrI.jpg

UE8lUbJ.jpg

I made the back split for ease of assembly and if I needed to make some adjustments. I will probably have a solid back. So as you can see,I have 4 panels in the front (Side left, front left, front right, side right)and in the back (Side left, back left, back right, side right) I basically pinned material to my manaquinn trying to visualize where I wanted the seams and using SMP’s sloper pics to help me along.

qVI5EvU.jpg

p0eftje.jpg

VeWbxrI.jpg

UE8lUbJ.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
    ZigZag likes this.
  2. wakeboardjedi

Here is the sloper cleaned up with excess material cut off.

Z1Gs3bF.jpg

jZHbfgS.jpg

The writing you see on there are the panel names and the amount of excess material I left as a reference. Each piece is just pinned to the mannequin, now it’s time to sew the panels together

Z1Gs3bF.jpg

jZHbfgS.jpg

3. ichibans13

ichibans13 Active Member

Definitely subscribed! That first picture of the Deadpool costume, is that an old one you have? I'm excited to see how this turns out!

4. djlacer

djlacer New Member

Oh man, I honestly did not know that that's how its done.

5. wakeboardjedi

Yes, that's the one I have now. I like it but I want a more, substantial, tactical Deadpool.

6. wakeboardjedi

The thing about sewing, or anything new in general is just to look at examples and try to do it till you get it. I bet you I've wasted $500 in material just to get where I am, and I'm not too far along.

Oh, and buy a good seam ripper, cause you'll do that a lot in the beginning...

7. ichibans13

ichibans13 Active Member

Ah, got it! I have no idea what you're doing with that white fabric. Is that going to be the template for the pique fabric? Is that mannequin sized for your torso?

8. wakeboardjedi

It will be a template for the top (black cordura and super spandex) the pique material will go on top of those.

the mannequin is smaller than me which is why I left the excess material so I could get it to my size. I'll talk more about that later.

9. wakeboardjedi

I made marks to the corresponding panels so when I went to sew them I could line them up easier.

8zhaVMy.jpg

Then I pinned and basted them together

uTcgdlK.jpg

7DqD49O.jpg

Here are all the pieces basted together and on the mannequin.

sE5wmHm.jpg

MDeWv77.jpg

And now, lets try them on…

8zhaVMy.jpg

uTcgdlK.jpg

7DqD49O.jpg

sE5wmHm.jpg

MDeWv77.jpg

10. wakeboardjedi

Whaaatttt?????? I’m not mannequin perfect??????

YXZIfiz.jpg

This is where the excess seam allowance comes in. I’ve got a decent amount to go in the stomach area so I'll move my two biggest seams which were the back to the back side.

LLcCEGp.jpg

Much better…….

Let’s talk a little about weight and costuming.

I’m actually over my normal weight right now. I’m a little backwards, I’m skinnier in the winter and chunky in the summer. This is twofoldfor me.

1) I have reverse SAD (if that’s a thing). The winter makes me happy.Snow, rain, dark, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, I love it all. Heat and 18 hours a day of sunlight is not my thing.

2) The amount of snowboarding I do (atleast 2 – 3 times a week, I live in Colorado). I save all my vacation for the winter and normally get at least one weekday every week in (plus weekends) with enough left over to do a week long snowboarding trip. I’d say right now I am 10lbs over my norm and it goes right to my gut. YAY!

I work out throughout the year but during summer I let my diet kinda suck and I don’t have a summer activity. I used to wakeboard but I don’t know anyone with a boat out here. I just bought a mountain bike so that is going to become my summer exercise.

Let’s see some pics!!!! Cause we all love shirtless guys, right???

Chunky

8SvxaJH.jpg

Less chunky

R5POYRD.jpg

As you can see I always got the love handle thing going, thechange usually happens in the front.

Sorry for the detour, but I figure this might be helpful for some.

Back to our regularly scheduled program…

I want this top to be somewhat tight-ish because I think Deadpool looks good when it’s more form fitting. I have to be careful for the top measurements now because in a month it’s going to fit me differently once the extra weight is gone. The good thing is that I can take in whatever I do now. Also, the spandex panels in this will help with my weight fluctuations.

YXZIfiz.jpg

LLcCEGp.jpg

8SvxaJH.jpg

R5POYRD.jpg

11. ichibans13

ichibans13 Active Member

Ingenious! I'm going to be stealing a lot of your brainpower, since you have more experience than I. I like the frilly medieval thing going. Renaissance Deadpool!

But for real, you're making good progress! I'm digging your technique and I thoroughly appreciate the detailed posts. This will definitely serve as my "how to" guide for when I sew up my costume this winter! Keep up the amazing work!

Edit: Holy exclamation points. Sorry about that.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  12. wakeboardjedi

Thank you for the kind words. That's how I learned, watching everyone else.

djlacer and ichibans13 like this.
  13. djlacer

djlacer New Member

I noticed a full list of different types of cordura. Which one did you get? Is it the closest to the movie version?

cordura ballistics? LoL

14. wakeboardjedi

Some of that stuff is too stiff. I went for 500D I think from Rockywoods.

15. ichibans13

ichibans13 Active Member

I bought some spare cordura a while back from Rockywoods too, when I initially ordered the suit from TestEagle. I think I went with 500D as well. I'm pretty pleased with what they sent. I was terrified that it was going to be super stiff because I'm not familiar with the durometer values for cordura. So I went on the Jansport Backpack website to see what thickness they used. And it's a bit thinner if I remember correctly. But overall I'm satisfied with what I received.

16. wakeboardjedi

If you wash it in warm water it really helps get rid of the stiffness.

Hopefully I'll get a bunch done this weekend.

17. ichibans13

ichibans13 Active Member

Any progress?!

18. wakeboardjedi

A little bit.

First, take a look at the new boots I got. LOOK AT THEM!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

These are the Rebook 8" Tactical Side Zip Soft/Composite Toe. Look, I'm the first one to spend $100's of dollars on one piece of a costume but for some reason I could buy the 5.11's with their +$150 price. I picked these up on Ebay, new for $30 with shipping. I think the main reason I couldn't shell out the cash was all the bad reviews on the 5.11's. Who knows.

On to some progress.

Here is the sloper taken apart and ready to be my pattern.

[​IMG]

More pics laid out on the material.

[​IMG]

One of the sides sewn up

[​IMG]

On the mannequin

[​IMG]

On me

[​IMG]

I need to go through and do the final tailoring to the top. I get nervous when I put stuff together and always take away seam allowance and make it larger than it should be. Plus I added more material to the front for the zipper. I didn't get as much as I wanted done this weekend but I did do something.

19. ichibans13

ichibans13 Active Member

Why not a back zip? Just curious, not trying to sound critical. The obvious answer is, so you can zip it yourself. lol But I didnt know if there was more to it.

That's not black cordura is it?

20. wakeboardjedi

Part of it is to be able to zip it up myself, they other part is that the sword holders will be sewn to the costume like the movie version. I'm pretty sure the movie zips up front as well.

The front and back are cordura, the sides are super spandex.

21. wakeboardjedi

Trying to figure out the red in the front. Looking at the references I tried to draw it onto some cordura.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Trying it on my sloper but I need the black background to really get the feel for it.

[​IMG]

Here it is on the unfinished top. I'm sure I will need to adjust and I think its a little too wide at this point but I wanted to see how it will look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Less than two months, its coming up fast.

22. LovingApathy

LovingApathy Jr Member

Excellent progress!

I know that everyone is swearing by the use of Cordura for the main fabric of the suit, but I'm curious about who decided that it was the actual material?

23. wakeboardjedi

Actually, no one still is sure. The material below is what is speculated at this point. It's Kaufman Bisou Stretch Pique Red.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm just using cordura to do the pattern cause I have a ton of it.

williamsboy likes this.
  24. ichibans13

ichibans13 Active Member

Looking awesome dude! I look forward to seeing what you do about the shoulders!

25. Mystery

Mystery Well-Known Member

This is one to watch, excellent progress so far

26. horus

horus Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is great work , I love the pattern making.

27. wakeboardjedi

You and me both.......

Took a turn this weekend, could not get it to sit right. Redid the top in all cordura.

Unfortunately did not get pics of redoing it. I'll get some pics tonight and update the thread.

28. ichibans13

ichibans13 Active Member

Are you referring to the padding or just getting it all stitched together? A while back I saw this and thought it looked very similar to the costume.

Attached Files:

29. wakeboardjedi

I had it stitched but the back wasn't sitting right and the adjustments I made was not helping. So I took one of my older dress shirts, took it apart and used those patterns. All of my dress shirts are slim fit so they are very close to the dimensions I was going for.

I have been looking at tons of stuff for the shoulders but that pic you posted looks really close. Or at least close enough to build off.

30. ichibans13

ichibans13 Active Member

Ah, OK. I see what you mean. You were referring to how a shoulder is stitched. Yeah, I can see where that would be tricky. It's not a simple straight line. I believe that padding is for lacrosse. I know it's not exact, but like you said, it is * close!

31. wakeboardjedi

Alright,

I can say without doubt that the Kaufman material is NOT the material used for the Deadpool suit. There is not nearly enough stretch to it. If you look at the arms in all the movie photos the material they use sits differently then the Kaufman material does.

In trying to do the arms, I could not get the sleeve to fit tight without completely restricting movement. If you leave it loose it doesn't look right. I tried putting some stretch material in the seam but I really don't like the way it looks. See below:

Inside

[​IMG]

outside

[​IMG]

I really hate the way they strip in the seam looks. It throws off everything.

The more I look at the material the more it seems like its a thinner, spandex type material.

The way the material is pushed down in this pic makes it seem like a thinner material to me.

[​IMG]

Ugh, not sure where to go after this.

32. LovingApathy

LovingApathy Jr Member

wakeboardjedi, I have been studying the different possibilities for the cloth on this suit. Judianna Makovski gave some insight to designing costumes for film and noted the use of a variety of fabric types that mimic the same material. We would all love to say that the Deadpool team used some kick * Kevlar, Cordura, Ballistic Nylon, etc.. but truth is that it's most likely printed spandex that is used for principle filming and textured polyester for detailed shots.

33. wakeboardjedi

I would have to agree with you. The "Entertainment Weekly" cover I think throws everyone off. It did for me.

The main torso stuff is probably a non stretch but arms and legs have to be.

34. ichibans13

ichibans13 Active Member

For a while I thought that bathroom picture was completely CG. There's no way to be certain that the material pushed down onto his legs is real. I'm so confused. Looking back at the set pictures, I have no idea what it could possibly be. Parts of it look thick, and parts look thin. But I would say with almost certainty that there is a production suit and a promotion suit.

Attached Files:

35. wakeboardjedi

I know, its freaking frustrating. My whole thing is the arms and legs. In almost all the pics the material is form fitted and doesn't seem to bunch, which makes me believe it's a thinner material. The other part is the hood. It has to have a decent amount of stretch to slide over your noggin.

I think at this point I'm going to redo my Comicon Deadpool and wait until we can nail some material down before moving ahead.

36. FreakT

FreakT Active Member

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  37. LovingApathy

LovingApathy Jr Member

That is an excellent suggestion with the slip cover.. a bit pricey, but I imagine the fabric would be durable

38. wakeboardjedi

The fabric.com one has very little stretch, probably about the same stretch as the Kaufman material I have now.

At this point I don't think it's a pique material, I think it going to be like a woven stretch nylon. Woven to give it the pattern and stretch to make it work.

I even looked at some tight weave netting type of material (I'm sure there is a name for this type of material but it is escaping me right now). I

'm going to agree with LovingApathy and say there are 2 different on screen costumes.

39. djlacer

djlacer New Member

Glad to see I'm not the only one frustrated over the material for the sleeves! I'm not alone then! Has anyone tried spandex lycra for the sleeves and leather for the body?

40. sp1derman

sp1derman Sr Member

if you look close at the inner arem there are 2 differnt materials sililar to what you have done jedi but much larger look closely at the pictures and you can see the fabric changing my guess is a stretch knit of some form the same goes for the legs on the inside and under the armour of the chest i would not find it hard to belive the fabric as made the sam as the spdierman and new batman printing the texture in silocon directly onto a stretchy material to appear like leather im going for a full genuine leather out of prefrernce good luck with the build its looking great :)

41. barbquebutt

barbquebutt Active Member

I'm almost 100% sure it's PVC leather, guys. Or possibly real leather. The way it wrinkles, hangs and reflects light all make me pretty * sure. Even the sleeves.

Look at these...
    why-the-2016-deadpool-movie-is-determined-to-succeed-reynold-s-on-the-set-of-deadpool-20-434576.jpg
    In his armpit, you can see where the material has worn and started to tear. It's a familiar sight to anyone that's had a PVC coat.

maxresdefault.jpg
    The thick seams and heavy stitching just sings leather/PVC to me. Also the shine coming off of it doesn't look like any plain fabric I've ever seen.

Just my opinion, but I am pretty * convinced.

42. LovingApathy

LovingApathy Jr Member

I agree with barbquebutt and I noticed the worn areas around the the black material as well

Having a leather suit would be impressive but honestly I think that would be hell to wear for any extended amount of time.
    I have spent weeks researching these fabrics and I feel like I have found something that works for me (an near OCD perfectionist)
    I personally have decided on leather printed texture lycra for the base black material with a textured polyester knit for the red material.

43. sp1derman

sp1derman Sr Member

I am torn it is either real leather or a leather texture 3d printed onto a stretchier fabric. It is a low budget movie so I'm more inclined to believe the fabric is all store bought and not custom made. Wearing a full leather suit I'm used too as dredd and that's all motorcycle gear with armour I think the mask will be the only uncomfortable part however I intend to add a cooling system within the faceshell still working on this idea though have several costumwe to put together over the coming months. I think we all should go with what ever we find a feel is accurate :)

44. JLeezy23

JLeezy23 Sr Member

Hi! I've been following all of the DP movie builds that are going on (its an amazing suit, but I'm actually wanting to use the suit as an inspiration for different suit lol) PVC was mentioned as a possible fabric, the attached photo is one of my PVC jackets peeling under the arm area. Underneath is a wide weaved mesh, sort of 2-way stretchy, and very breathable. One version of the suit may have used it, after feeling and wearing the fabric personally, it might work in some parts of the suit. It may just be the stunt suits, to look good and have funtionality/moveability, but it tears away and wouldn't be a hero suit. Just tossing in my .02!
    IMG_20150918_211132.jpg

45. TestEagle

TestEagle Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Suits coming along well, I'm keeping at eye on this, if you need any help with accessories let me know, I have a pretty good list I pass on to clients.

46. LovingApathy

LovingApathy Jr Member

How is your progress, wakeboardjedi?

47. wakeboardjedi

I think I am going to put this build on hold until we can pin down a fabric that can work.

I'm rebuilding my comic book Comicon Deadpool costume for Halloween. Hopefully when Denver Comicon 2016 rolls around I'll have the movie version completed.

TestEagle likes this.
  48. iamwayno

iamwayno New Member

2 questions. Is this an actual dark red?? and is this 4 way stretch? that first pic posted of the mesh fabric i mean

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  49. wakeboardjedi

It is a dark red with a minimal two way stretch. The stretch is not enough for the costume.

50. iamwayno

iamwayno New Member

ahh. balls.