Davy Jones *Dead Mans* Chest Build

Cbstudios

Sr Member
So... after starting my Jack Sparrow costume last year, and getting caught in the web of upgrades and accuracy, I started making props to go along with it, for a fairly intensive photoshoot planned for later this year.

One of the larger props I wanted to make. was the chest that held the heart of Davy Jones.

I stated with a small chest accessory from the 7" Neca figures line from a few years back, and realised that the scaleing on Jack was roughly 1:10 to me, give or take a few MM, so I set out on a slow day at work with a set of digital calipers, and grabbed all the measurements I needed.

7065603427_1563bc1f7b.jpg

Now comes the fun bit. 4 sheets of A2 5mm Foamcore board!
6919524660_934b241fb0.jpg

All 4 sides of the base, cut out, with the recessed panels marked out, ready for cutting...
7065604745_f0111696fc.jpg

My idea was to cut the sections out, where the recessed panels go, and attach another section of foam core behind it, for a 5mm inset panel. here is an end with the cutouts removed....
6919525970_9d63a42d8b_z.jpg
[/IMG]

After repeating that process, i have all 4 sides, with the cutouts removed and a backer piece on. I'm just using hot glue to attach the backer pieces, it bonds to the foam core well.
7065606019_d0dd0debe6.jpg

So after finishing the sides, I decided to move on to assembly (logically). Keeping with the hot glue theme, i attached all the sides together, and used some long, flat headed pins as an extra measure. I drove between 6 & 10 into each joint, depending on the length of the seem.

A front and 2 sides.
7065606537_0befa770f6.jpg

And the Back, and base attached!
7065607077_836a6de6d4.jpg

This is the structure for the body of the chest finished. Still a LOT of work to go, there is a massive amount of detail to be wedged into it, including the octopus details in the recessed sections, handles, rivets and the overly complicated lock. Most of the extra details will be sculpted and cast in resin, including the lock section, but I'll be starting the lid first.

The plan at this stage is to finish the main body and lid, add the rivet details in, and cover both sections, inside and out, with a layer or two of Tissue weight Fiberglass and epoxy resin, then work on attaching all the details and inlays.

Updates on the lid should be posted either today or tomorrow:cool

I just skimmed the title and saw "Davy Jones" and "dead" and thought you were making something from the Monkees lol.

Nice start on your chest.

Wow, I didn't think this thread would get THIS much attention :p

Well, now that the base of the chest is mostly complete, I decided to really **** myself off, and start the lid. The Girls at the craft store were very curious when I came back again, and bought another 4 A2 sheets of foam core, and some thick card :p

So, first thing I did is cut the end pieces for the lid, its all marked out for the edging, as well as the recesssed panels.
7068689461_238dfedb4c.jpg

Same with the front/back. these sections are only 50mm high, because anything higher than this will be the curved section of the lid, You'll see why I didn't go higher, further down the page.
6922609194_449a8ef711.jpg

So at this point, I cut the recessed sections out from the end caps. On the base, the Plate that filled in the recessions, was just random, and not too pretty, because I'll be making a liner for the inside, futher on in the build. For the lid though, I cut them pretty much exactly 5mm smaller, around the arc of the sides, so I'd have a 5mm recessed lip, on the inside edge. This is important!
7068690165_58e8d8f404.jpg

I then cut some cosmetic edging pieces, to give the 2 raised edged that run around the lower section of the lid.
6922609846_38d27fb103.jpg

And all of them glued in place. These pieces have a LOT of dimension.
6922610208_77635ec488.jpg

......TEST FIT
7068691413_f91729c811.jpg

At this point, I'm very happy with how it all looks, detail and depth look awesome, and it seems to be just about the right size, but the next part was just baffling.
6922611046_4a55622db4.jpg

7068692159_43be2f6c1c.jpg

I glued in 3 foam baffles, to help give the lid structure and strength, as with the base, the sides and baffles were hot glued and tacked into place.

The curve of the lid was a very easy process, and didn't take a lot of thought to work out. The lid has recessed panels, same as the base, so I cut a piece of thick, strong card, and glued and tacked that into place
6922611826_1bacb01437.jpg

6922612124_201831ec5b.jpg

A perfect example of measure twice, cut once.:facepalm

Voila! All i did to divide that into sections, was carefully bend 5 strips of foam core, and glue that down in the right place (No pics of that yet.

And there we go for tonight's installment. Thats the main body sections of the chest done, although I still need to do a liner section for the base, complete with details, and fiberglass the whole thing, But I'm thinking the next update will be the sculpting and moulding of the panel details, and the lock section.

Drink up me hearties, Yo Ho!
C.

Not a whole lot of pics in this update, but it does show the curved braces for the lid, and more or less where I'm at now.

So I picked up a 100 pack of Brass split pins, little metal domed things, used to hold paper together, I used to love these back in primary school, and they're very useful for rivet details. I estimated roughly 80 or so would be needed..... I finally finished putting them in, and they clock in at 167 or so. Lucky i have a Newsagent on the opposite corner to my house, another 3 packs of 30 were bought to finish it.

This is where I'm at now, the ring that will surround the lock is just a temporary placement, for now.
7089472427_559001aa7b.jpg

I've started working on the 12 thick blocks that *Lock* the lid. The foamcore ones on there now, are also just for placement. I've picked up a stick of inch square balsa wood, and I'm pretty confident that I can make the blocks slide out, when the key is turned. We'll see how that turns out.

Cheers.
C

Last edited:
Brilliant- I may even attempt this as a good friend of mine is a massive potc fan! would make an epic gift!! would you consider uploading the prints?

Wow! Great work! The small version that you're basing it off of reminds me of those mcdonalds toys that I have from 2006.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back