Limited Run DaveP's Obi Static Parts Run 2022/23 (Sign-Up Closed)

It is my understanding that this isn't a run for a "in-universe" replica. This is supposed to be a run for replicas of the original parts which could be mistaken for the real thing, lettering and material alike. If not, I'm not interested. Like I already said parts for "in-universe" props are readily available and don't interest me in the least. Replicas of parts that are either impossible to find or prohibitively expensive to acquire do.
I don't presume to speak for Dave or how he is going to proceed with this run, I'm just suggesting the possibility exists with a simple part swap where this run could accommodate both collecting styles. I'm not aware of anyone who currently offers, or has ever offered, an all authentic material parts Obi saber, regardless of lettering. I remember several years back after the balance pipe was discovered, someone proposing a run of replicas made with inconel but it never materialized.

Thanks for your input everyone. I really appreciate it. I think I'd better step in with a decision on the pommel though, Just to clarify the aim of this run and to hopefully put minds at ease...

The whole point of this run is to create a replica of the actual prop(s) that were used on set and the various real world parts that were used to make them.

That's always been my aim when working on these to be honest. I totally understand the appeal of in-universe replicas, as well as FX hilts. My area of interest is the props first and foremost though, so I do lean in that direction myself. This seems to be the preference of the majority of people on the run too.

I entertained the idea of a metal pommel, simply because I have a real AS handwheel myself and like the idea of having a metal one too to add to my own collection. I realise that this isn't the case for everyone though, and the whole point of the run is to provide people with accurate replica stand-ins for their real parts builds. (That's certainly not to say that there aren't very accurate options available already!)

So, just to clarify... First priority is 100% accurate parts (in correct materials)

I WILL however look in to the possibility of an optional Stainless Steel pommel. If this is a viable option, I'll include it in addition to the Acrylic one. (y)

Hope this sounds ok to everyone.

I will try to accommodate everyone as best as I can. (y)

I just updated the list again with new additions. Thanks again everyone! I'm away from the computer again now for the rest of the day while I work on finishing up my final batch of V2s. Once they're done, this run will be officially ON! :D

I'll be back on later tonight to pick up any further comments.

All the best, and MTFBWY!

Dave

Thanks for your input everyone. I really appreciate it. I think I'd better step in with a decision on the pommel though, Just to clarify the aim of this run and to hopefully put minds at ease...

The whole point of this run is to create a replica of the actual prop(s) that were used on set and the various real world parts that were used to make them.

That's always been my aim when working on these to be honest. I totally understand the appeal of in-universe replicas, as well as FX hilts. My area of interest is the props first and foremost though, so I do lean in that direction myself. This seems to be the preference of the majority of people on the run too.

I entertained the idea of a metal pommel, simply because I have a real AS handwheel myself and like the idea of having a metal one too to add to my own collection. I realise that this isn't the case for everyone though, and the whole point of the run is to provide people with accurate replica stand-ins for their real parts builds. (That's certainly not to say that there aren't very accurate options available already!)

So, just to clarify... First priority is 100% accurate parts (in correct materials)

I WILL however look in to the possibility of an optional Stainless Steel pommel. If this is a viable option, I'll include it in addition to the Acrylic one. (y)

Hope this sounds ok to everyone.

I will try to accommodate everyone as best as I can. (y)

I just updated the list again with new additions. Thanks again everyone! I'm away from the computer again now for the rest of the day while I work on finishing up my final batch of V2s. Once they're done, this run will be officially ON! :D

I'll be back on later tonight to pick up any further comments.

All the best, and MTFBWY!

Dave
Thanks for the clarification Dave. I like the idea of the optional Stainless Steel pommel as a available additional option along with the acrylic. I would happily pay a little more for both to be included so chalk me up for that option if it becomes reality.

Will the stainless steel option be chrome plated so as to at least mimic the outward appearance of the actual prop? To me, using Inconel for the balance pipe was just as much about allowing us to have an outward finish that looked right, as it was using the original material.

Likewise, I'm mostly interested in having a chrome-plated pommel. So if there is to be a metal option, it would be nice if it also has the chrome plating so as to look correct.

Thanks much for your consideration of these options.

Any idea on price yet???
Austin Powers Doctor Evil GIF

Will the stainless steel option be chrome plated so as to at least mimic the outward appearance of the actual prop? To me, using Inconel for the balance pipe was just as much about allowing us to have an outward finish that looked right, as it was using the original material.

Likewise, I'm mostly interested in having a chrome-plated pommel. So if there is to be a metal option, it would be nice if it also has the chrome plating so as to look correct.

Thanks much for your consideration of these options.
I absolutely share your desire for the surface finish to be correct. (y)

Electropolished Stainless will have a surface finish that's virtually indistinguishable form chrome plating. It's sometimes referred to as "reverse plating", Instead of adding the chrome/nickel, it basically strips away a layer of iron and other imperfections, leaving behind a very thin layer of chrome/nickel at the surface.

The acrylic pieces will be chrome plated (y)
Any idea on price yet???
I have a rough idea, but until I've sent the first set of drawings out, I'd like to hold off on announcing anything if that's ok. Material prices are moving around so much at the moment. As soon as I get quotes in for the first round of drawings, I'll work out prices and get them posted. (y)

I'll try to keep prices as affordable as humanly possible. Obviously some aspects of this run call for higher material costs, but the fact that we've surpassed the 100X mark should bring with it a substantial discount.

As I mentioned previously, labour costs will be higher due to them being made in the UK as apposed to oversees. This should be offset by the lack of import duty/shipping costs. I'll be collecting the parts in person directly from the fabricators.
Interested!
Thanks Marc! That's great. :) I've updated the list (y)
:lol: I'll do my best to keep it under $1 million. (y) Promise! :D

I absolutely share your desire for the surface finish to be correct. (y)

Electropolished Stainless will have a surface finish that's virtually indistinguishable form chrome plating. It's sometimes referred to as "reverse plating", Instead of adding the chrome/nickel, it basically strips away a layer of iron and other imperfections, leaving behind a very thin layer of chrome/nickel at the surface.

The acrylic pieces will be chrome plated (y)

I have a rough idea, but until I've sent the first set of drawings out, I'd like to hold off on announcing anything if that's ok. Material prices are moving around so much at the moment. As soon as I get quotes in for the first round of drawings, I'll work out prices and get them posted. (y)

I'll try to keep prices as affordable as humanly possible. Obviously some aspects of this run call for higher material costs, but the fact that we've surpassed the 100X mark should bring with it a substantial discount.

As I mentioned previously, labour costs will be higher due to them being made in the UK as apposed to oversees. This should be offset by the lack of import duty/shipping costs. I'll be collecting the parts in person directly from the fabricators.

Thanks Marc! That's great. :) I've updated the list (y)

:lol: I'll do my best to keep it under $1 million. (y) Promise! :D
Much appreciated

This might be a dumb question, if so I apologise.

But is the aim for this hilt to not only replicate real prop materials but the accurate weathering seen on the prop as well?

This might be a dumb question, if so I apologise.

But is the aim for this hilt to not only replicate real prop materials but the accurate weathering seen on the prop as well?

Hi there. Not a dumb question at all. (y)

So the answer is kind of yes and no. I'm aiming for correct material finish. So for example, the grenade/booster will be chemically darkened and chrome plated where needed. I won't be offering full "weathering" commissions as part of the run however. I would first like to have the parts in-hand and do a fully weathered build myself before offering those.

The run is just too large to offer these out to everyone. This is what I did with the V2 run and has seen people waiting longer for their commissions than I'm comfortable with. I've had no complaints and everyone has been very understanding, but I'd rather offer commissions for this one in smaller batches, that are less of a wait for people.

Once I have completed a finished build, I'll have a better idea of how long it'll take to put a fully weathered commission together, and how much to charge.

Interested.
Interested pending price

Thanks so much, guys. I've updated the list. (y)

This long awaited model reveal is coming very soon. I've been putting some time in in the evenings to work up some High-Poly models for use in preview renders:

TASTER.jpg

*These are purely for visual purposes, but they are based on the latest (not final) model updates.

I'm making good progress on my current (final) batch of V2 commissions. As soon as those are finished, you'll begin to see a lot more progress on this run. My days are off limits currently, so I'm working on this in the evening (when I still have the energy! :lol:)

With that said, things are progressing nicely, and hope to have the Chronicles preview ready soon...

Thanks again for your interest everyone!

All the best and MTFBWY!

Dave

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back