Dave the Bookie's current projects - Blasters and Sabers

Dave the Bookie

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Well, apparently I am not capable of finishing up one project at a time, I need to complete them in bunches. :) Most of these projects have been in the works for several years - some 10+ years since I started collecting pieces and greeblies. Some have been completely assembled and on my prop wall, just not painted until this weekend. Some have just been received recently. Think it is the upcoming movie that is lighting that spark once again and making me want to get these final finished up.

Should have taken more pictures while in the build process, but alas did not. Turned my garage into a mini paint studio this weekend to get them painted up all at once.

Started with a base coat of metallic gunmetal paint/primer with a top coat of flat black. Plan on "roughing these up" with weathering, rust effects, and silver metal wear details over the next week or so.

Without further ado, here are the projects that I am working on:

Leia ROTJ Blaster - Odiwan cast with real Reed Model Radial parts and metal parts I got several years ago.
Merr Sonn Power 5 - Reed Model Parts and various other greeblies I have been collecting over the years.
Han ANH Hero Blaster - Boba Debt kit from way back and various other greeblies I have collected.
Greedo Blaster - Rugar airsoft base, Reed Model Parts, 3D printed greeblies - Gucabe and Toolguy.
Stormrooper light blaster - Morgan13 Rexim cast, real scope and bracket style scope ring mount - may not be 100% accurate but I like the look of it for this blaster
Dr. Evazan Blaser - Morgan13 Rexim cast, real scopes and scope rings.
Bossk Blaster - Odiwan cast with real scopes and sling mounts.
ROTJ Vader Saber - real graflex and parts I got some 12 years ago.
Hoth Rebel Blaster - Denix MP44, real V8 parts and scope mount, cast singlepoint scope, Odiwan scope sheath, hardware butt stock. Have the mini red dot scope on its ways from Sidewinder.

Enjoy - will post more pics as I get to the fun part - the final assembly and weathering. :)

Attachments

• Blasters.JPG
    Blasters.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 261
  • Hoth Blaster.JPG
    Hoth Blaster.JPG
    994.8 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:
While I am showing off props - was excited when I saw the first trailer for TFA and realized I had all of the parts that I needed in my "spare parts" box to create this beauty! :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    855.9 KB · Views: 209
Got the Han Hero Blaster painted and weathered today. Went with kind of medium weathering. Let me know your thoughts - can always bang it up a little more. :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 173
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 198
Got the Bossk blaster completed! This was one of my holy grail items and it is done - still not as impressive as Markus' real thing - not sure we will ever find another real Schumerly, so this is close enough. :) Implemented some of the great ideas that Markus indicated in his prior build thread - like the magnets and connection rod for the stock instead of permanently attaching it. Makes it capable of breaking down into smaller parts for transport. Went with the Visible V8 part on the front of the barrel even though I know this is not 100% confirmed - like the way it looks and gives the blaster a complete look. Will update this in the future is the debate is settled. The weight of the real scopes had me a little concerned at first, but once attached it gives the blaster an overall real weight feeling.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 151
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 149
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 145
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 143
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 136
While I am showing off props - was excited when I saw the first trailer for TFA and realized I had all of the parts that I needed in my "spare parts" box to create this beauty! :)

Show off... I'm over here scrounging Ebay for a graflex and you just happen to have all of the right parts to build a complete hilt in a junk bin. :p Looks great

For your viewing pleasure today, my take on the Merr Sonn Power 5 - Using the older greeblies for the right hand side, but like the way those look. Did get a couple of the push button things, so may change it later on to include those parts - haven't decided yet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 144
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 161
I want your ROTJ Vader saber parts!

Ah well... just gotta wait on Roy I suppose....

Sorry, but they are already on the saber - you will have to pry it from my cold dead hands.,, :0) Think this might be my favorite lightsaber now. It was a pain in the ass to put together - the reason it took me so long to get it done, all the little holes to drill, the weird little parts, and don't even get me started on bending the tabs... :0) I tried to bend them as slowly as I could, but they still broke off, epoxied them back, but they came off like 4 or 5 times during the process and had to be reglued. Love it now that it is complete!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    889.4 KB · Views: 169
Sorry, but they are already on the saber - you will have to pry it from my cold dead hands.,, :0) Think this might be my favorite lightsaber now. It was a pain in the ass to put together - the reason it took me so long to get it done, all the little holes to drill, the weird little parts, and don't even get me started on bending the tabs... :0) I tried to bend them as slowly as I could, but they still broke off, epoxied them back, but they came off like 4 or 5 times during the process and had to be reglued. Love it now that it is complete!

Looks awesome, Damn. Well I will have to live with the three I have... :cry (It too is my favorite saber... heh)

BUT... I don't have an AFBB version... so with Roy and Chaims work plus Roman's graflex, its in the future!

I got a top half off a guy that already had the bent tabs... they're pretty beat up, my guess is he torched them and bent them while hot.

That is probably get better way to go in hindsight. I tried bending mine cold and once you get to around 90% bent they just snap off. :(

With the Vader ROTJ Lightsaber in its place, the lightsaber collection is complete - for now... Don't have a Kylo Ren yet, but am likely going to wait and see what comes out later on. Man or man, wish that Master Replicas was still around to make that saber...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    900.8 KB · Views: 277
Looks great. Man... I fell like I'm never going to hit "complete"....

Especially since I want one of them LEGO sabers... missed the boat on that one...

Very cool blaster and lightsaber collection!

Thanks! Around 15 years of collection and making them. :) I could tell you some stories about what it took to get those Jedi Council Sabers - involved calling the police in North Carolina to get them involved and getting the maker to send them. :D

Posted this over in Mara Jade Father's thread as well since we were having a discussion about the Leia modification. I wasn't happy with my first go at it - was afraid of cutting the barrel of the Margolin and adding the radial parts in whole, so I cut those parts. Even with good sanding, there was still a slight visible seam. Taking his advice from his example I took the cut radial parts off, cut the barrel, added a metal rod down the middle and added a new set of uncut radial parts - that is why I always buy extras. :) Not sure if I am going to rough it up/weather it or leave it in pristine condition. My MR ANH Leia is all shiny and new, should I keep the ROTJ version the same or give it a battle worn look?

Attachments

• Leia 1.JPG
    Leia 1.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 128
  • Leia 2.JPG
    Leia 2.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 127
Apart from that impressive lightsaber display board ... I also love those paintings on the wall ... are they made by you Dave?

Chaim

Apart from that impressive lightsaber display board ... I also love those paintings on the wall ... are they made by you Dave?

Chaim

I wish I could take credit for the paintings, but they are by a very talented artist - Miranda Sether - from Greece. She does a ton of Star Wars, Comic book, and other nerdy Sci-fi stuff. Basically, she should be selling her stuff here - she would make a fortune! :) Here is a link to some of her work: http://miranda-sether.artistwebsites.com/featured/knight-of-gotham-miranda-sether.html

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back