Dave the Bookie's current projects - Blasters and Sabers

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Dave the Bookie, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Dave the Bookie

Dave the Bookie Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well, apparently I am not capable of finishing up one project at a time, I need to complete them in bunches. :) Most of these projects have been in the works for several years - some 10+ years since I started collecting pieces and greeblies. Some have been completely assembled and on my prop wall, just not painted until this weekend. Some have just been received recently. Think it is the upcoming movie that is lighting that spark once again and making me want to get these final finished up.

Should have taken more pictures while in the build process, but alas did not. Turned my garage into a mini paint studio this weekend to get them painted up all at once.

Started with a base coat of metallic gunmetal paint/primer with a top coat of flat black. Plan on "roughing these up" with weathering, rust effects, and silver metal wear details over the next week or so.

Without further ado, here are the projects that I am working on:

Leia ROTJ Blaster - Odiwan cast with real Reed Model Radial parts and metal parts I got several years ago.
    Merr Sonn Power 5 - Reed Model Parts and various other greeblies I have been collecting over the years.
    Han ANH Hero Blaster - Boba Debt kit from way back and various other greeblies I have collected.
    Greedo Blaster - Rugar airsoft base, Reed Model Parts, 3D printed greeblies - Gucabe and Toolguy.
    Stormrooper light blaster - Morgan13 Rexim cast, real scope and bracket style scope ring mount - may not be 100% accurate but I like the look of it for this blaster
    Dr. Evazan Blaser - Morgan13 Rexim cast, real scopes and scope rings.
    Bossk Blaster - Odiwan cast with real scopes and sling mounts.
    ROTJ Vader Saber - real graflex and parts I got some 12 years ago.
    Hoth Rebel Blaster - Denix MP44, real V8 parts and scope mount, cast singlepoint scope, Odiwan scope sheath, hardware butt stock. Have the mini red dot scope on its ways from Sidewinder.

Enjoy - will post more pics as I get to the fun part - the final assembly and weathering. :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  2. Dave the Bookie

While I am showing off props - was excited when I saw the first trailer for TFA and realized I had all of the parts that I needed in my "spare parts" box to create this beauty! :)

Attached Files:

MCM and dejordzta like this.
  3. Dave the Bookie

Paint is dry so everything is back together and ready for weathering. Hope the ATF doesn't stop by tonight.

Attached Files:

Shingouki28 likes this.
  4. OdiWan72

OdiWan72 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

what a sight :)....love it

Markus

5. Dave the Bookie

Got the Han Hero Blaster painted and weathered today. Went with kind of medium weathering. Let me know your thoughts - can always bang it up a little more. :)

Attached Files:

6. Dave the Bookie

Got the Bossk blaster completed! This was one of my holy grail items and it is done - still not as impressive as Markus' real thing - not sure we will ever find another real Schumerly, so this is close enough. :) Implemented some of the great ideas that Markus indicated in his prior build thread - like the magnets and connection rod for the stock instead of permanently attaching it. Makes it capable of breaking down into smaller parts for transport. Went with the Visible V8 part on the front of the barrel even though I know this is not 100% confirmed - like the way it looks and gives the blaster a complete look. Will update this in the future is the debate is settled. The weight of the real scopes had me a little concerned at first, but once attached it gives the blaster an overall real weight feeling.

Attached Files:

Andymac84 likes this.
  7. JaxAndTheMoon

JaxAndTheMoon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Show off... I'm over here scrounging Ebay for a graflex and you just happen to have all of the right parts to build a complete hilt in a junk bin. :p Looks great

8. Dave the Bookie

That's what I am gonna call it from now on - my junk box saber. :0)

9. Dave the Bookie

For your viewing pleasure today, my take on the Merr Sonn Power 5 - Using the older greeblies for the right hand side, but like the way those look. Did get a couple of the push button things, so may change it later on to include those parts - haven't decided yet.

Attached Files:

10. NeoRutty

NeoRutty Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I want your ROTJ Vader saber parts!

Ah well... just gotta wait on Roy I suppose....

11. Dave the Bookie

Sorry, but they are already on the saber - you will have to pry it from my cold dead hands.,, :0) Think this might be my favorite lightsaber now. It was a pain in the * to put together - the reason it took me so long to get it done, all the little holes to drill, the weird little parts, and don't even get me started on bending the tabs... :0) I tried to bend them as slowly as I could, but they still broke off, epoxied them back, but they came off like 4 or 5 times during the process and had to be reglued. Love it now that it is complete!

Attached Files:

12. NeoRutty

Looks awesome, *. Well I will have to live with the three I have... :cry (It too is my favorite saber... heh)

BUT... I don't have an AFBB version... so with Roy and Chaims work plus Roman's graflex, its in the future!

I got a top half off a guy that already had the bent tabs... they're pretty beat up, my guess is he torched them and bent them while hot.

13. Dave the Bookie

That is probably get better way to go in hindsight. I tried bending mine cold and once you get to around 90% bent they just snap off. :(

14. Dave the Bookie

With the Vader ROTJ Lightsaber in its place, the lightsaber collection is complete - for now... Don't have a Kylo Ren yet, but am likely going to wait and see what comes out later on. Man or man, wish that Master Replicas was still around to make that saber...

Attached Files:

scottjua and Country Paul like this.
  15. NeoRutty

Looks great. Man... I fell like I'm never going to hit "complete"....

Especially since I want one of them LEGO sabers... missed the boat on that one...

16. jkno

jkno Master Member

Very cool blaster and lightsaber collection!

17. Dave the Bookie

Thanks! Around 15 years of collection and making them. :) I could tell you some stories about what it took to get those Jedi Council Sabers - involved calling the police in North Carolina to get them involved and getting the maker to send them. :D

18. Dave the Bookie

Posted this over in Mara Jade Father's thread as well since we were having a discussion about the Leia modification. I wasn't happy with my first go at it - was afraid of cutting the barrel of the Margolin and adding the radial parts in whole, so I cut those parts. Even with good sanding, there was still a slight visible seam. Taking his advice from his example I took the cut radial parts off, cut the barrel, added a metal rod down the middle and added a new set of uncut radial parts - that is why I always buy extras. :) Not sure if I am going to rough it up/weather it or leave it in pristine condition. My MR ANH Leia is all shiny and new, should I keep the ROTJ version the same or give it a battle worn look?

Attached Files:

Mara Jade's Father likes this.
  19. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Apart from that impressive lightsaber display board ... I also love those paintings on the wall ... are they made by you Dave?

Chaim

20. Dave the Bookie

I wish I could take credit for the paintings, but they are by a very talented artist - Miranda Sether - from Greece. She does a ton of Star Wars, Comic book, and other nerdy Sci-fi stuff. Basically, she should be selling her stuff here - she would make a fortune! :) Here is a link to some of her work: http://miranda-sether.artistwebsites.com/featured/knight-of-gotham-miranda-sether.html

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
  21. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Wow ... nice ... thanks for the link :)

Chaim

22. Lichtbringer

Lichtbringer Sr Member

No need for cutting - one can take the frontsight of, then slide the ripped parts on, and reattach the frontsight. Thats what i did with mine (i just didn´t used my ordered original parts, instead i made me some metal stuff).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mugatu likes this.
  23. Dave the Bookie

I was converting one of Markus' resin Margolins, so that is why I didn't have a problem cutting the barrel in two. :) Would never cut up a real Margolin. May get a real one some day to convert, but this one will do for now.

24. Lichtbringer

Lichtbringer Sr Member

Oh, sorry. :eek

Such happens when scrolling fast, one eye on the text and the second on pics. Should read more carefully. :wacko

Still need to find a second one - to replace my Master Replicas ANH.

25. OdiWan72

You wouldn't have to cut the barrel on a real margolin, since the front sight is just press fitted to the barrel. Put it in a vice, pop it off, add the grill, put the front sight back on...done :)

only realized that it would have been better to leave off the front sight AFTER I (re)molded my real margolin :facepalm

Markus

26. Dave the Bookie

Would be an idea for an upgrade in the future but really isn't an issue since the radial parts cover up the cut on the ROTJ version and you don't need to on the ANH version.

27. Dave the Bookie

Up next is one of my favorite Blasters - the Dr. Evazan blaster! Not sure what it is, just like the looks of this one. I did a little more weathering/rust effects on this one - seems like a scummy villain like Dr. Evazan would not take care and clean his blaster regularly. I may upgrade in the future with the identified wires on the left side, but leaving it as is for now.

Attached Files:

28. Dave the Bookie

Up next is my take on the Greedo Blaster. I got a little heavy handed with the weathering, but I like how it turned out - another scum and villainy type blaster. May go back over this is a wash of black in some areas to darken it back up a little bit in some areas. All in all I am happy with it.

Attached Files:

29. Mara Jade's Father

Mara Jade's Father Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hmm... Now I'm thinking I need one of these in my collection.

30. Country Paul

Country Paul Sr Member

I really like this blaster & yours looks great :)

how are the 2 scopes attached?

I have the 1 scope Stormtrooper version of this & wanted to also build this one but couldn't figure out how to position & connect the scopes :lol

31. Dave the Bookie

That is an ancient Chinese secret passed down from blaster maker to blaster maker over the centuries... :)

I actually had the exact same question for Markus about a month ago and he shared the secret with me.

I had a 1/8" think piece of scrape metal laying around, so I cut 4 squares - about 3/4" - just slightly shorter than the scope mounts so that they appear "hidden". I used my grinder to grind down the edges at a 45 degree angle to give the scope mounts something to grab on to. Used the scopes to guide where to place them on the blaster - on the top and at 90 degrees on the right side. Drilled holes and tapped the metal mounting squares and the blaster so that I didn't have to glue anything. Here is a pic of the mounting squares on the blaster just before adding the scopes.

Attached Files:

Country Paul likes this.
  32. Country Paul

Country Paul Sr Member

That's very clever, I like that a lot, thanks for sharing :)

may finally have to have a crack at this blaster

33. Dave the Bookie

Weekend update - got the Stormtrooper Short Range Blaster - or whatever it is called - finished up. I used the single scope ring mount instead of two separate scope rings for this blaster - just like the look of it better - think it is because of the high mounting rail.

Attached Files:

Country Paul likes this.
  34. scottjua

scottjua Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nice work on all these! I've also always liked Dr Evazan's blaster. Dang, I need to make some things for ME sometime.

35. Mara Jade's Father

What are you using for the main body of the Trooper and Evasan blasters? Are they demilled or resin cast?

36. OdiWan72

these are morganthirteen resin casts!

Markus

37. Mara Jade's Father

They look very nice... Are they nice?

38. OdiWan72

These are GREAT!!!

Nobody has molded/ cast a real Rexim as of yet, BUT Shawn was able to get ahold of a set of real Rexim grips and scratchbuilt his Rexim body scaled to these.
    Have you ever owned one of Shawn casts? these are incredibel...little to no clean-up work!!!

he´s a master-caster for sure :thumbsup

Markus

39. Dave the Bookie

Yes, these are Morganthirteen casts and they are excellent! Little to no clean up work? How about NO clean up work. :D All I did was paint these and add the scopes - didn't have to prep anything really. They come with the scope mounting rail for the Stormtrooper blaster, so for the Evazan blaster you have to cut that off first and sand it down. Was a piece of cake. Hopefully my weathering and overall paint job do it justice.

Thanks,
    Dave

40. Dave the Bookie

Can anyone guess the next blaster I am putting together? ;)

Attached Files:

Sidewinder likes this.
  41. scottjua

scottjua Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The same one I am finishing. EE3 WOOT! ^_^

42. Dave the Bookie

Got the ESB EE-3 mostly completed last night. Still need to spray with fixative for the rust pigment - purposely went a little heavy in some areas with the rust effects because they will calm down/wash out a little when the fixative is applied. The pictures don't do this justice - need to find the right combination of natural and artificial light to take some better pictures. The body is a HandSchaub bronze cast Webley, parts kit from Sidewinder including his new metal scope rings. I worked up the parts with the help of The5thHorseman's post over at TDH - attached most parts with screws (would never do that with a real Webley... :)) including the scope mounts to make the blaster solid. Only parts that are glued on are the stock greeblies and the Molex plugs. Allows the blaster to be taken apart for transport - or shipping - thinking of selling this baby as I acquired a real Webley a few months back and will be converting that with all (well all that have been identified to date) real parts!

Attached Files:

43. Dave the Bookie

Some better pictures. Is overcast outside, so eliminated some of the harsh shadows.

Attached Files:

44. Country Paul

Country Paul Sr Member

Looks fantastic :)

a nice EE3 is still absent from my collection, great build

45. jarebear

jarebear New Member

Looks great! How much would you be selling it for? ;)

46. Dave the Bookie

And she's off to greener pastures... :( Although EE-3 Mark 2 will be just as good. :)

47. OdiWan72

love it, even if I personally prefer a bit less weathering on the Webley itself.

The new owner will surely appreciate your efforts

48. 3oin

3oin Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Glad to be directed to this thread :)

Seems like Dave is a Man after my own blaster ! ;) Great collection.

I am making my own EE-3 with Dave's cast offs ! (joke) I bought one of his unmodified Schaubly's (which are amazing). Got a few "real" parts (ASI Scope) and waiting for the real plugs and I'll put it together with Sidewinders kit and his metal scope rings.

Thanks for the Help again :)

49. Dave the Bookie

Finished up my most recent project - repaint/re-weather of my Luke V2 saber and completion of my custom MR .45 Scale Luke V2!!

Attached Files:

Sym-Cha likes this.
  50. Dave the Bookie

While I was working on my .45 scale Luke V2, I was also working on a .45 scale Vader ROTJ. Not 100% pleased - I may rework some of the details, but it turned out good. The hex bolts weren't exactly .45 scale, but were the smallest I could find. Got the shroud and the activation box 3D printed and they turned out very good, but I wasn't able to get them completely smooth like I wanted. Kit bashed a Luke ANH .45, Luke ESB .45 (still need to add the D ring to the bottom), and an ANH Vader .45. Was fun collecting the parts and getting them made.

Attached Files:

Sym-Cha likes this.