Daryl Dixon (The Walking Dead)

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Feezle-Nuts, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Feezle-Nuts

Feezle-Nuts Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just a teaser for now.

[​IMG]

2. Feezle-Nuts

Haven't posted anything on here for a while.

I finally got my wings put on my vest. I weathered them today. A little too heavy on the weathering but it will fade. I just need to break in the vest now...which is difficult. I don't have too many clothes that go with a leather biker vest with wings.

[​IMG]

I also bought a different knife and sold the other one. The new one has the correct handle. It is off now getting a custom sheath made and then it is being shipped back to Busse to get it refinished so it is a little more accurate.

[​IMG]
    Wife is tired of me whining about needing a crossbow so it is time...working on that.

I'm also going to do this version so I don't have to wear long sleeves in the heat.

[​IMG]

Any ideas on that quiver? Almost looks like that green pvc?

3. quixote coyote

quixote coyote New Member

off to a great start! keep it comin'

4. mmarlon brando

mmarlon brando Active Member

5. stoneagebowyer

stoneagebowyer New Member

Here is the Horton Scout. I picked this up last December, a birthday gift to myself. It is a really fun weapon, pulls 125 pounds, and gets about 225 feet per second with 22" bolts. The red dot sight is nice, too. It is not a magnified scope, btw. I am not sure exactly which sling is used on the show, but picked up one similar in appearance. Do yourself a favor and always use silicon rail lub, otherwise your serving will wear through pretty quickly.

Like nearly all crossbow, you have an effective range of about 40 meters. In a 3D deer, this bow sinks the bolts into the target about 6". Decent power, for certain.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Feezle-Nuts

Yeah, I'm going for the Scout. I modded a decent little toy crossbow a while back just in case I go places where I can't carry the real one.

It looks like you have the correct sling. Brown and camo Excalibur?

7. Feezle-Nuts

I also have the jacket he wears under the vest. I need to sand the buttons a bit to obscure the logs. Had to sand off the ones on the vest as well. Ever since season 2 they have been removing logos which makes identifying clothing a bit of a pain.

[​IMG]

8. stoneagebowyer

I can't recall the brand of the sling. This one was actually a shotgun sling, but the sling swivels were correct and the camo pattern seemed close to the Walking Dead weapon. Practically speaking, the weapon is very front heavy, so reversing the sling and carrying it butt up rather than butt down makes more sense, but it looks cooler on screen the way Dixon carries it.

9. stoneagebowyer

Can you share the brand of the jacket and the vest? Also, any idea who made the work pants he wears? Boots as well. The Busse is a high-end product, for sure, so congradualations on that purchase.

10. stoneagebowyer

I have to wonder too about the performance of the hand-made bolts he carries. They are longer than the 22" standard carbon bolts. Nice thing about crossbow bolts is you don't have to spine match them as you do with regular arrows. No archer's paradox to deal with. Those are clearly turkey feather fletchings. Probably split cedar shafts.

11. Feezle-Nuts

No idea on the pants, but if you figure it out, please let me know!

The jacket appears to be a Levis corduroy trucker. Can't tell for sure, but everything matches up.

A warning about the vest though...the snaps that they show on the site are different from the ones on the actual vest. The ones on the vest have a Street Legal logo stamped on them. I had to sand mine down and paint them.

The boot are Red Wings. I forget the model. Too rich for my blood right now. If you watch Norman's Twitter page, it appears they are his personal boots.

The belt appears to be a black security belt and it has a Brass oval buckle blank. I haven't gotten those yet.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  12. Feezle-Nuts

I doubt the handmade bolts would actually be safe to fire. From what I have read, you don't want to fire wooden bolts from a modern crossbow.

13. stoneagebowyer

Thanks on the brand info!

I disagree, the wooden bolts should be perfectly safe to shoot. Contrary, carbon bolts are not safe to shoot in a self bow without an arrow shelf. If a carbon bolt or arrow fractures, it will drive carbon splinters into your hand, and that would not be good. Decent wooden bolts with no grain runoff handle the forces produced by any commerical crossbow just fine. Reenforcing the knock ends pretty much eliminates the possibility of the bolt splitting there. And even if it did, your hands are well out of the way. The first time you shoot and your hand is in the path of the string, you will find out why you should never do that. Trust me. :)

14. stoneagebowyer

I am guessing the work pants are Dickies, or a similar brand. I have a few pairs, not the color that Dixon wears, and I always call them my gas station pants. The actor has a website and I am guessing asking him would give the answer. If not, Glenn Mizara (sp?) uses Tweeter a lot, and loves interacting with fans.

15. Feezle-Nuts

I sent him a few questions and never heard back.

Boots:
    [​IMG]

16. stoneagebowyer

Shame he didn't get back to you, but I can imagine the entire production are very busy and swamped with fan quiries. If I can ask, is the photo you posted initally from Season 3? I don't recall seeing that in the past two seasons. And you can probably guess both my wife and I are very impatient to see season 3 begin. Walking Dead is television as it can be at the highest levels of quality and complexity. Amazing ensemble, great writing, and great characters.

17. Feezle-Nuts

Correct. That is season 3.

18. stoneagebowyer

The prison, then. That should be amazing, and so should the introduction of the Governor. Too bad Dale is dead, so we wont have the bad meat scene when those cannibles eat part of poor Dale, nor the justice Rick metes out when he catches up to them.

19. Feezle-Nuts

They could always do that to someone else.

20. Feezle-Nuts

Scored a great deal on the crossbow. Picking it up tonight.

21. Feezle-Nuts

22. rmschneider104

rmschneider104 Sr Member

Sweet set up so far! Are you going to weather up the crossbow at all?

23. DRACKULL

DRACKULL New Member

he´s the best!!

24. Feezle-Nuts

I bought it used. It isn't mint by far. I think I'll just leave it how it is for the most part.

25. Feezle-Nuts

Norman Reedus just signed for Ohio Comic Con!

26. Feezle-Nuts

Sheath is complete. Daryl's actual sheath is a POS from a bowie knife made in Pakistan. I wanted something that has a similar look but fits the knife and doesn't look like crap.

The maker is going to send me another one to give to Norman when I meet him. I'm sure they won't let him use it due to continuity, but that would be awesome and I can dream. Especially since my knife was used to make the pattern for it.

[​IMG]

27. Feezle-Nuts

Grabbed a couple of pics last night. Got my hair cut. She cut is a little short on the sides and in the front. Will grow out by the end of next month though. I have 10 more lbs to lose.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. AgentofChaos

AgentofChaos Active Member

Looks awesome man! Major props.

29. edfrogz

edfrogz New Member

Hi, new to site. I wanted to ask you what you used to make the wings out of. Also did you sew yours to the vest or did you tack yours down. I am in the process of doing it for my husbands costume this year and I like how you did yours and would like to ask your advice on what you did. Thank you. ~ erin

30. Feezle-Nuts

I cut them out of a pair of white denim jeans. On the real wings, there is a seam running down the left side of the right one a couple of inches in. I'm assuming this is what they used as well.

I didn't stitch them on because his don't look stitched. I used liquid stitch adhesive. Holding really well and allows the edges to come up a little bit like Daryl's do.

From your avatar, it looks like you are making the ears necklace?

31. Gorgot3000

Gorgot3000 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

* Cool !

32. Feezle-Nuts

Getting down to odds and ends. I decided to do the quiver from season 3 as well now that I have enough reference pics...even though it is crazy ugly.

[​IMG]

33. rmschneider104

rmschneider104 Sr Member

Nice job with the belt and buckle. Is it just a blank?

34. Feezle-Nuts

Yup. They made it easy. :)

35. rmschneider104

rmschneider104 Sr Member

Very cool. Nice find! You costume is coming right along.

36. Feezle-Nuts

Finished up some fake bolts today. Made them out of dowel rods. Figure that might increase my chances of being able to wear the crossbow at cons. Cheaper than buying real bolts in the correct color scheme too.

Hoping correct sling shows up at my house today. Going to a zombie walk tomorrow and it would be nice to have it for that.

[​IMG]

37. Feezle-Nuts

Look what came home today.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Of course I had to throw on the whole costume.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Everything looks better with Busse...and Armorall Leather!

38. leviathan8609

leviathan8609 Member

Sweet gear man, thanks for sharing.

39. Feezle-Nuts

Here we go. Daryl sans sleeves.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

40. rmschneider104

rmschneider104 Sr Member

The refinished Busse looks nice. Overall, a great set-up you have there.

41. Feezle-Nuts

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  42. mwells

mwells Well-Known Member

I want to get a busse knife what specifics should I ask for I want it to be as close to the screen used knife as possible especially at the prices they charge LOL

43. TheMuffin

TheMuffin New Member

The original arrows we used to pack in with the Scout are Carbon Strike MX's. So if you're looking for the exact arrow used, it's more than likely those.

44. robertsonick

robertsonick Well-Known Member

Hey - great job, I really like what you've managed to figure out and get together.
    Could you tell us a little more about the knife and sheath? It's beautiful :)

Cheers - N.

45. Feezle-Nuts

Thanks!

The knife is a Busse Combat Team Gemini. The sheath is custom made by Dwayne at ArmorAllLeather.

46. robertsonick

robertsonick Well-Known Member

Thanks, man. Appreciate the info - did you ask them to re-finish it by just grinding it back or...?

Cheers.

47. Feezle-Nuts

I had them strip the coating.

48. bunneh

bunneh New Member

Hey I was just wondering what the name of the jacket is because I can't find one that looks similar enough. thank you

49. Little Fett

Little Fett Member

Nice, man! Looks really good.

50. pinder91

pinder91 Sr Member

Does the knife have the tan & black G10 handle? With now no finish on the blade? It looks great!