Darth Vader ROTS Helmet WIP from Hasbro Mask and Pepakura

PAMPatine

LATEST UPDATE:

IMG_6179_zpsj6xzqywb.jpg

IMG_6444_zpsr3zr6ijm.jpg

IMG_6339_zpsy9mdzkxy.jpg

Hi guys! My plan is to create a ROTS helmet using the ff:

1. Mask - Hasbro Darth Vader voice changing mask
2. Dome - pepakura model made by RPF member, Juvito: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=206671

I first compared the proportions of the Hasbro Voice changer mask to the Master Replicas ROTS helmet, and saw that the proportions of the facemask from the front turned out pretty well. However, I was also warned by Too Much Garlic that the mask was scaled down since it was a child's mask, and CSMaclaren also noted that the Y-axis of the mask was also compressed vs. the actual prop.

image_zps3ciu7tkr.jpg

image_zpsiotlyvdq.jpg

I then removed the dome and electronics from the voice changer mask and decided to make a new dome with pepakura. Here is a pic of the mask without the dome. I also had to cut out a lot parts from the mask (excess plastic on the sides, forehead, etc) using an xacto knife.

image_zpsjucaczzv.jpg
[/URL]

I then made a dome using Juvitos free ROTS pepakura. I printed the dome out as is and didn't scale anything down. Here are some WIP pictures. The fiberglass and bondo parts of the dome were commissioned by Mfx props, a local prop maker here in the Philippines.

image_zpsqshzsi66.png

I extended the sides, forehead, and neck of facemask using a ROTS helmet pep which I purchased from Fierfek. I scaled his pep down by about an inch, in order for it to be in proportion to the Hasbro mask. The combination of his pep and the faceplate of the mask worked really well and were pretty much in proportion to one another (except for the Y-axis of the nose and mouth vent, which I didn't use in my build).

Here are some other WIP pictures. My next plan is to harden the pep parts of the facemask. I'm deciding whether to have this commissioned again or done by myself using the woodglue method (I don't have any space I my house to do the fiberglass and bondo method and I also hope to keep this project within a budget).

Here are a test few pictures of the dome mounted to the mask and the pep extensions on the facemask:

image.jpg1_zpsphw93zym.jpg
image.jpg2_zps8bpvfumh.jpg

Here is where the helmet currently stands:

image_zpscr5vexmk.png

image_zpsyykpmad8.png

image_zpsruldvenn.jpg

image_zpseaonayvu.jpg

image_zpskilehopl.jpg

image_zpstzc1nwcq.jpg

image_zpsv3q9hqdj.jpg

image_zpsdubv772g.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Darth Vader Helmet WIP from Pepakura

Pep work looks good bro! keep us posted on development. :thumbsup

I've always thought this technique to be so mind boggling! Very interesting to see; it's already looking very good. Keep updating as you progress!

Thanks guys! I'm still trying to put braces on the mask to make sure that everything stays firm, and I'm also trying to figure out how to put a dome mount since both the mask and the dome came from 2 different pep files. I have also never tried doing any fiberglass/bondo work before, so I'm currently reading up on it/trying to look for someone here who could commission the work for me.

Re: Darth Vader ROTS Helmet WIP from Pepakura

Hey guys. i was busy for the last few months studying for an exam, so I didn't get to update this thread/work on the helmet for a while. But here's the latest development. I commissioned someone to fiberglass and bondo the dome for me. The mask ended up rather warped, so I opted to just combine the dome with a hasbro voice changer Vader mask I bought. The proportions of the face of the mask to the ROTS facemask are pretty good. I'm not going for 100% accuracy for this, and just want a proper representation of a Vader helmet. My next step would be how to figure out how I will extend the facemask and mount it to the dome

image_zpsdlfiqrbm.jpg

image_zpsr5jiv3nx.jpg
"]
image_zpsr5jiv3nx.jpg

image_zpszcstgbun.jpg

And here is a size comparison to a hasbro black series helmet:

image_zpsow8ib8fc.jpg

image_zpskzgrs2rq.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:

I have to admit that the voice changer looks pretty good with that dome, do you plan to extend the neck area to make it resemble Vader a little more?

I have to admit that the voice changer looks pretty good with that dome, do you plan to extend the neck area to make it resemble Vader a little more?

Yes I do! Still not sure how I am going to go about that though. I may use parts from a pepakura for the extensions.

Here are some new WIP pictures from my progress. I plan to extend the facemask's neck using a ROTS pepakura file I got from Fierfek. Still not sure on how I am going to stick the two together, but I'm happy to see that the pep is in somewhat the same proportion to the facemask.

image_zps3oba7vyq.jpg

image_zps0rwrscng.jpg

image_zpsslpvjezc.jpg

image.jpg2_zps8bpvfumh.jpg

Looks pretty good so far. This is exactly the sort of thing I want to do. I tried to acquire a ready made dome, but apparently there are none available. I even offered to pay someone to print up the files in the WTB forum, but no takers. Oh well, I guess I'll figure something out. I look forward to seeing this completed.

Looks pretty good so far. This is exactly the sort of thing I want to do. I tried to acquire a ready made dome, but apparently there are none available. I even offered to pay someone to print up the files in the WTB forum, but no takers. Oh well, I guess I'll figure something out. I look forward to seeing this completed.

You our could always follow my route and make the dome out of pepakura and have someone commission the fiberglass and bondo part. I didn't need to scale down the dome from Juvitos pep, and was just lucky that it fit well with the hasbro mask

Thanks, but my issue is exactly the opposite of yours. I have no problem with the fiberglass and bondo. It's the printing part that I can't do. I have no internet connection at home and no printer, so...

Currently trying to extend the facemask with pepakura.

I also plan to cut out the mouth and chin vent parts and replace them with actual vents. Would it be possible to get any tint for the lenses? They are pretty good for me already, but I'd like it to be darker or more reflective.

image_zpsoxj5ery5.png

are the existing lenses curved but flat? or are they bubbled? proportions of the neck extension pep look great.:thumbsup

I really like this project, thank you for sharing! I love seeing how people solve problems and find clever, creative solutions when building and making things. I hope that you are having a ton of fun on this build, and please do continue to keep us updated!

Here is the latest update. I stuck the pep parts to the mask with superglue. My next step is to harden the pep parts of the facemask. I'm deciding whether to have this commissioned again or done by myself using the woodglue method.

image_zpsjyyi0nbn.jpg

image_zpsm8edkb7q.jpg

image_zpslrybm1tp.jpg

image_zpscr5vexmk.png
image_zpsyykpmad8.png

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back