DARTH VADER ROTJ & EMPEROR displays -updated 3.14.12 new pics post #224

Re: ROTJ EMPEROR and VADER display progress -updated 10.18.10 new pic post #170

Regardless of our differences, I think Phil is a fantastic sculptor.
And when we collaborated, it was an unstoppable force of awesome (not necessarily the resulting work, but the spirit and manner in which we progressed projects). I do miss it.
Unfortunately, a mixture of hurt pride, broken trust, and jealous outsiders seems to have eroded what was once an awesome team in myself and Phil.
Do I think Phil's busts are more successful when we work together vs. when we don't?
Absolutely without question.
It really is a shame for myself, Phil, and everyone who is interested in this type of work that we have parted ways.

That being said.
It's unfair for anyone to give revisionist history towards the creation of these pieces which I've spent years of my life on, or diminish the impact of my involvement in any way.
Quite simply, they are as good as they are directly due to my involvement. Directly due to Phil and I working in unison.

For any newcomers to this thread, or anyone with long/short term memory loss, here are some quotes taken directly from threads on the RPF during the time of their creation/showoff.
FWIW, I still have all the visual edited photos that show the progression of the sculpts over the years with my critique/edits in them.

darth maul

It's hard to believe that it's been almost 2 years since Phil and I started this project. Although let me clarify that it's not been a solid 2 years of continual work. There were many, many months were the sculpt was left idle due to work schedules, other projects, etc..

This sculpt was born out of my desire to have a super realistic head for my full size display made from an original costume, and Phil's desire to break into human likeness. He sure made quite the splash wouldn't you say? :love

Bravo Phil. :thumbsup

Our first collaboration was the ESB yoda puppet which most of you are all familiar with. As a team, Phil does the sculpting while I provide art direction, critique, and edits.
It's been a pleasure to collaborate the way we do. Critique flows freely and it's NEVER finished until it's just right. Even at the time of these pics, there are a few minor things that still need tweaked. But that's the beauty of the way we've worked. No rush. Get it right. It will be done when it's done.

And this one is about done. I absolutely can't wait to put it on my full size display and paint him up. First the mold will have to be made and then an initial casting in which the horns will be sculpted and cast separately.
Then of course, some quality eyes will need to be made. The bust will be cast in a flesh tone resin so that we can accurately reflect the translucency of the makeup.

I hope this will be the (second) of many busts we get to work together on. Phil is the most talented, patient, and receptive sculptor I've ever had the pleasure to work with.

In fact, we've already begun our next project. Someone from the OT.

THANKS GINO, I couldn't have done this without you!!!

emperor

Speaking of which, I owe a lot to Gino for his imput into this sculpt.. He was the guiding light throughout the many months and weeks of this busts production. A familiar voice on the phone every week, he was constantly there to steer me in what now appears to be the right direction. I doubt this sculpt would have turned out anything like this without his very sharp critical eye.

Thanks again everyone... please remember though that its not just me thats behind this work... Sure I did the sculpting by Gino really put in a lot of time in on this aswell and did a lot of art direction.:thumbsup

Thanks everyone for all the kind words.

I am so excited about this bust and am bursting.
This is the third bust Phil and I have done as a two man team.
First was Yoda, second was Darth Maul, and the third being this Emperor.
Each one more technically challenging then the last.
I absolutely love art directing these sculpts with Phil and this one was just as much as a pleasure as the others (although painful at times). But then again, no pain no gain.

Have to say that this bust was not a walk in the park lol.. Took a lot of time studying the images at our disposal as Gino and I guided ourselves through the complex structures that in some cases were only hinted and had to be super analyzed till we were satisfied they were right.

Personally I'm relishing the prospect of Ginos interpretation of the Emperor in its fullest and completist state. Hes done an astonishing job on the Yoda and Maul and the Emperor as we both see it will probably eclipse those:eek

You've said your peace, and I've said mine. To carry on about this matter any further would be considered trolling.
My advice would be to focus your efforts into creating your own works vs trying to diminish the achievements of others (me).

Regardless of our differences, I think Phil is a fantastic sculptor.
And when we collaborated, it was an unstoppable force of awesome (not necessarily the resulting work, but the spirit and manner in which we progressed projects). I do miss it.
Unfortunately, a mixture of hurt pride, broken trust, and jealous outsiders seems to have eroded what was once an awesome team in myself and Phil.
Do I think Phil's busts are more successful when we work together vs. when we don't?
Absolutely without question.
It really is a shame for myself, Phil, and everyone who is interested in this type of work that we have parted ways.

That being said.
It's unfair for anyone to give revisionist history towards the creation of these pieces which I've spent years of my life on, or diminish the impact of my involvement in any way.
Quite simply, they are as good as they are directly due to my involvement. Directly due to Phil and I working in unison.

For any newcomers to this thread, or anyone with long/short term memory loss, here are some quotes taken directly from threads on the RPF during the time of their creation/showoff.
FWIW, I still have all the visual edited photos that show the progression of the sculpts over the years with my critique/edits in them.

darth maul

emperor

You've said your peace, and I've said mine. To carry on about this matter any further would be considered trolling.
My advice would be to focus your efforts into creating your own works vs trying to diminish the achievements of others (me).

nothing to do with jelaousy in any kind, if you may consider, meaning me for example.

I´m looking forward seeing your artists that work for you credited on your HP in future:thumbsup

For my comment, I'm not diminishing your involvement in the creation of these pieces, but you have no claims to the sculpting of any of them. Your collaboration with Phil brought forth some excellent sculpts that probably wouldn't have been without your guidance and suggestions, but that's where your involvement stops - if your hands did not push around and shape the clay, you did not sculpt any of these busts.

The collaboration was GINO/Cyberman, the sculpts are purely and only Cybermans. I've often commented on and applauded the fantastic work this collaboration was able to produce. Though, if it really was such a good collaboration, why did you break it?

Last edited:

Carsten, I like both Gino and Phil and when it comes to disputes between two people you like, you choose the best course...stay out of it. It really has nothing to do with anyone but Phil and Gino.

Maybe I shouldn't have said I COULD not have done it without you to... but, I WOULD not have done it without you. Either way I feel duked into something i.e. creating the Emperor mainly for your benefit and glory and not mine. I mean look who has the finished piece??? I can't finish mine off from any help of yours, like you promised me!!! You backed out of the deal of making me and a few others some Bust display hoods and you're the one who can't be trusted!

I've always accepted you having helped in an Art directorial sense on all the busts (to varying degrees) because you had a particular idea of how you wanted this to look I went along with it thinking whatever Gino says should be considered a creative plus... But its somewhat belittling to me to know you think I'd not be able to create anything anywhere near as good without your input... My new Yoda proves that and besides which... YODA??? you only sent some museum pics and emailed me few times, but it was me who always made the final decision on that piece as you never commissioned me (like all 3 pieces in question).... it was purely a TACIT relationship with me making the final conclusion as I have the clay in my hands not you! You'll never see it this way, though, as you're an extremely arrogant man Gino!

Last edited:

I'm sorry you see it that way Phil. It wasn't always so.
I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree.

Yeah I know you'll disagree... you'll put anyone to the sword no matter how much they've helped you achieve your goals! Your attitude is selfish and greedy!

Maybe I shouldn't have said I COULD not have done it without you to... but, I WOULD not have done it without you. Either way I feel duked into something i.e. creating the Emperor mainly for your benefit and glory and not mine. I mean look who has the finished piece??? I can't finish mine off from any help of yours, like you promised me!!! You backed out of the deal of making me and a few others some Bust display hoods and you're the one who can't be trusted!

I've always accepted you having helped in an Art directorial sense on all the busts (to varying degrees) because you had a particular idea of how you wanted this to look I went along with it thinking whatever Gino says should be considered a creative plus... But its somewhat belittling to me to know you think I'd not be able to create anything anywhere near as good without your input... My new Yoda proves that and besides which... YODA??? you only sent some museum pics and emailed me few times, but it was me who always made the final decision on that piece as you never commissioned me (like all 3 pieces in question).... it was purely a TACIT relationship with me making the final conclusion as I have the clay in my hands not you! You'll never see it this way, though, as you're an extremely arrogant man Gino!

You seem surprised by his behavior.

Thanks! Actually this sculpt along with the Yoda and Maul are actually Cyberman/Gino sculpts and were a result of our close collaboration (approximately a year for each individual sculpt).
But I take all the credit for the finishing/painting of the sculpt, creation of the eyes, robes, hands and mannequin. :)

This is NOT your sculpt. Sculptors always end doing things THEIR own way, no matter how much the art directors says. So in the end is basically their vision. You want to make yours, then put your own hands in the clay.

You vested Phill's creations, that's another story. You did a good job at that. You are a costume designer.

Last edited:

Here's a couple new emperor pics.

emp1.JPG

emp2.JPG

Re: ROTJ EMPEROR and VADER display progress -updated 11.21.10 new pics post #192

Thanks!
Here's another.

emp_1.JPG

Last edited:
Re: ROTJ EMPEROR and VADER display progress -updated 11.21.10 new pics post #192

Breathtaking fans, a non star wars fan would not be able to tell the difference hahaha, amazing.

Man, that Emperor looks so real..it's creepy! (In an awesome way!!!) Very well done!

He looks so real I can just hear him now "Everything that has transpired has done so according to MY design!" :)

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back