Darth Vader Helmet

I took a few pictures of the helmet and armour, they are not very good pics but they will have to do. The facemask does look great I hope I can finish the dome and armour to the same standard. The dome and armour just need some filling and sanding and then they can be painted.

P1210101.JPG

P1210096.JPG

P1210094.JPG

P1210103.JPG

Nice lookin' facemask ;) - although that pic makes it look a bit gold (ala threepio.).

The dome and armour need to be hit with another coat of grey primer before proceeding - the reason they look so 'raw is they have been primered and sanded several times already in prep. for the finish.

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress pics Jamie.

Al

I paid £250 (bout $400) for the lot, and that came with the finished facemask, so the hardest part is already done. I am off to halfords todat to buy paint and filler so I can make a start during the week.

Originally posted by Jamie Davison@Jan 22 2006, 10:32 AM
I paid £250 (bout $400) for the lot, and that came with the finished facemask, so the hardest part is already done. I am off to halfords todat to buy paint and filler so I can make a start during the week.
[snapback]1165088[/snapback]​
What filler are you gonna be using mate?

Originally posted by Jamie Davison@Jan 22 2006, 06:32 AM
[snapback]1165088[/snapback]​

I think you came out pretty good on the deal. Like you said, the hardest part is finished.

Matt

The filler that I have got is 'Loctite Auto Professional Body Filler'. I got it because it says its easy to apply, shape and sand, which will be quite useful.

Originally posted by Jamie Davison@Jan 22 2006, 08:38 PM
The filler that I have got is 'Loctite Auto Professional Body Filler'. I got it because it says its easy to apply, shape and sand, which will be quite useful.
[snapback]1165303[/snapback]​
cool. i was interested cause i'm doing my rubies at the mo, what parts have you got to fill?

There are a few scratches and a flat patch on the dome that need filling out and re-shapping, then it all needs a bit of sanding and it will be ready for painting.

Originally posted by Jamie Davison@Jan 23 2006, 12:07 AM
There are a few scratches and a flat patch on the dome that need filling out and re-shapping, then it all needs a bit of sanding and it will be ready for painting.
[snapback]1165460[/snapback]​
I :thumbsup Look forward to seeing the finished product

Originally posted by ob1al@Jan 23 2006, 08:01 PM
I recommend U-POL QUICKSAND multi purpose filler from Halfords - its easy to work with and it sands great.
[snapback]1166086[/snapback]​
this will be the product i will use from now on :thumbsup

I have started to apply the filler, all the scratch/dent bits are done but the flat patch on the dome will need to be done in a few layers so will continue that 2morow, also 2morow I will start to sand the armour. Will post pics of progress 2morow as there is not too much to see today.

Ok, well these are sort of progress shots, but I have only spent about an hour on the armour so far so dont expect to much. I have filled all the cracks/scratches and given the whole thing a quick sand. Then as ob1al suggested I applied a coat of primer to make it easier to work on. Now I can see all the impefections and know what needs to be filled/sanded.

From a distance it doesnt look to bad.
P1250100.JPG

But close up there are quite a few patches that need work.
P1250105.JPG

It doesnt look too bad tho, it basically just needs sanding smooth and it will be ready for painting. There is just one ridge that is a little flat that needs to be re-shaped.

As for the dome there is a flat patch on one side that I am still working on, I have used 3 thin layers of filler and it may need one or two more. Then it can be sanded to shape and painted. It will probably take a couple of weeks to get to the painting stage. But I will keep you updated as progress is made.

Well, you are gettig there Jamie. :)

You just need to go at that hammer and tongs with progressively finer grades of sandpaper / wet and dry paper, get it nice and smooth then give it another coat of primer to check for any remaining imperfections; if it's all looking good, a quick once over with 1500 grit then you can start painting. :thumbsup

Al

Well I thought id post a quick update, I have not been able to do to much im afraid, no time due to work/uni/life etc etc but the armour is almost ready for painting now. Ive sanded it all, but one or two holes have appeared which i have filled and just need to sand that then it will be good for primer. As for the dome I have not touched it for ages... I have the weekend off work so I am gonna do some more then, hopefully will get the armour to the stage where I can paint it. If that happens I will primer it and post pics.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back