Interest Darth Vader Energizer commercial lightsaber 3D printed MHS conversion kit

MCM

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I recently finished a replica of Darth Vader's lightsaber as it appears in this mid 90s commercial for Energizer batteries
https://youtu.be/0TzicnQpS24

794e31a25f4f7c3d11cc9cc84a74f98c.jpg
17fbb9cdbbb5f2795572279eb4585617.jpg
d98e7675e8718e69542289594afc00d7.jpg
53a56d2f8a09a8590ab7ea47aeba22b8.jpg

The saber was built around MHS (modular hilt system) tubing from thecustomsabershop.com.

Measurements were taken from a resin cast of the screen used prop which I then used to build a cleaned up and idealized rendition of the saber on the computer. The components were then scaled to fit MHS tubing and 3D printed.

0d95e99b2fe0ac14c447e607945c7278.jpg

Resin cast on top, replica in the center, Vader ANH MPP replica on bottom for comparison

Enough people have contacted me interested in parts, so what I'd like to offer is a kit of the raw 3D printed parts that would then be finished by the end user. The parts, from top to bottom, would be:

1 x shroud
1 x d-ring mounting block
1 x rectangular greeblie
1 x ribbed clamp band
1 x control box
1 x activation strip
7 x t track grips
1 x 2-piece endcap plug to convert MHS pommel style #9 into a maglite-like endcap

Not included would be the tubing and endcap, again, available from thecustomsabershop.com.

Possibly included if people are interested enough:
3 x 3D printed batteries for a battery reveal as in the commercial
T track marking guide (a fancy name for a ring with 7 evenly spaced holes allowing one to use a marker to mark where to glue the grips)

The parts would be printed on my Ultimaker 2 Go in PLA at a 0.1mm layer height. 3 good coats of filler primer plus some 0000 steel wool ought to be enough to get rid of most of the visible print lines, although some spot filler may be required for the more obstinate print artifacts. All in all, the parts ought to clean up nicely and easily enough.

Anyone interested?

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

If it helps, I'm 90% sure they used double sided scrim tape to stick a circuit board on - not to screw with you this late lol

LFA_SharedStunt_VaderStunt1.jpg

so what we see is the cross-stitch of fibers in the tape that was left over, or some kind of adhesive

If it helps, I'm 90% sure they used double sided scrim tape to stick a circuit board on - not to screw with you this late lol

View attachment 714959

so what we see is the cross-stitch of fibers in the tape that was left over, or some kind of adhesive
That would make A LOT of sense. From the pics I've seen, it definitely looks like some kind of adhesive tape residue stuck down in there; I thought it was some kind of bungled up foil mesh tape or something. Funnily enough, I've seen this picture and have it on one of my hard drives, but I was more focused on the shared stunt and totally glossed over that circuit board. I can totally draw up a new one this evening.

Interested. I love the Energiser version for some strange reason.

Am I right that it's these two parts that would also be needed?

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Hilt-Style-1-7-Double-female-threaded-connector-P126.aspx
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/MPS-Pommel-style-9-P588.aspx
That's the right pommel. For the body you'll need the 9" double female extension
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/9-Double-female-threaded-connector-P400.aspx

I'm dialing in the print settings and ought to have some more finalized numbers soon!
4176be02477d0fdf01ed7d243a3066ef.jpg

I think the updated activation strip is looking pretty good, too
6fe660623e37aab8bf60e4a13ece4f0c.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great!

I like the idea of the T-track ring, could you do a 6 track version as well? I'm just thinking for ANY of my projects, I HATE putting the tracks on... Those may help.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back