Darth Vader Costume by Tammi Mars

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by tammimars, May 12, 2015.

1. tammimars

tammimars Jr Member

Hi.

I am making my own Darth Vader ANH costume for a budget of under €500. I have a lot of propmaking experience and have been using silicone molds and resin for a long time. Today I started making the pants. Knowing that only the front of the thighs will be visible I took and old pair of bluejeans and opened up the seams. Added fake leather to the front of the thighs and made all the seams along the legs. I could not quite get the bubbly apperance of the original but close. One leg took allmost 2 hours so its slow work.
    I also made the chest box out of wood, will ad pictures with description and prices for those who are interrested.
    The Helmet, shoulder armour and leg armour along with the gloves are the things I have to buy, the rest will be homemade.

2. tammimars

tammimars Jr Member

uploadfromtaptalk1431452049705.jpg pants uploadfromtaptalk1431452077020.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1431452097372.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1431452130186.jpg

Are the edges of the chestbox beveled enough? (am I using that right) Should it be shiny or dull?

3. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Hi tammimars,

Curious. Which version of Darth Vader are you intending to replicate? ANH, ESB or ROTJ? Or perhaps ROTS?

As for that chestbox here's a picture, where you can clearly see, there's more a round taper to those edges :

[​IMG]

Though I applaud your cunning trick of just making the front of the pants in leather . . . if you decide to troop in it . . . kids will find out your an imposter ha, ha, ha. But if only for a DV statue you're good to go. The 'quilting' in the leather, which is now lacking from yours, is created with added soft material in between the seams :)

Chaim

4. tammimars

tammimars Jr Member

Thank your for the tips. I'm going for anh (first row in my top post). The jeans will be black so hopefully it won't be that obvious. The quilting is beyond my expertise but the chestbox can be fixed.

5. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Oops, okay so ANH it is ... let me see if I have a more accurate chestbox ... there are slight differences between all movies to those parts :wacko

Here's the screen-accurate :

[​IMG]

Here's the trooping suit worn by Kermit Eller, but you
    can see the different colors and sizes of the parts onto
    the chestbox :

[​IMG]

Also those ANH beltboxes are quite different from ESB/ROTJ

Chaim

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  6. tammimars

tammimars Jr Member

Nice suit! I found some blueprints in a previous post of the iron lung so I have some reference. I'm thinking about buying a roll of that plastic string you attach to your gardentrimmer, you know the kind you use in the tall grass. I could put strings of plastic inside the canals of the fabric to get a lasting look. (I'm Swedish so my English is shaky at best) ;-)

7. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

I would advice against that ... especially if you want to wear the suit ... however if you still have openings on each 'canal' as you say ... perhaps you can add some strings of heavy knitting wool or cotton swap stuff inside? And if you want some more accurate pictures for your research might I suggest : http://thepropden.aokforums.com/index.php

Here's a suggestion for your outer cape ... though I'm not certain that design is accurate enough ... perhaps a test with some cheap fabric to see how it hangs from the shoulder armor to the floor is best :)

[​IMG]

Chaim

8. tammimars

tammimars Jr Member

The canals are open in both ends and they only have to be stuffed in the middle, so I will try different solutions. The template for the cape is the same one I have too, think it will look great.

9. gizmo

gizmo Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

sounding awesome. :)

Ben

10. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Mind you ... I altered that template with only 5 panels instead of the actual 6 ... as I found it on google ... also the outer wool fabrics are lined with satin or shiny polyester :)

Chaim

11. tammimars

tammimars Jr Member

Does anyone know the size of the belt? Looks wide..... Are the straps for the chest box also leather.

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  12. tammimars

tammimars Jr Member

uploadfromtaptalk1431938289753.jpg Progress on the belt, any thoughts? I have seen both with and without red rings around the buttons.....which is right?

13. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

That looks good for a belt ... the width I used is 5.5cm ... and I've seen the red rings around the buttons ... but the boxes used for ANH are different from ESB/ROTJ ... go check :
    http://thepropden.aokforums.com/index.php that's where all the Vader purists reside with all the info you seek :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chaim

14. tammimars

tammimars Jr Member

Oh, I see the difference, you have a lid in the front of the box with an edge surrounding the box. Mine has the lid on the back, in the same size as the box, I cut into the lid to make room for the belt.

15. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Yep ... however ... if you just replicate and add only that lid edge with some styrene or black ABS that's thick enough surrounding the side of the box ... you'll be cosmetically finished, and doing it the propmakers way ... work with what you have laying around you ;)

Chaim

16. tammimars

tammimars Jr Member

If I had just one green light for the belt box I could easy replicate it with a silicone mold and some green transparent resin called polly glass. Do you know of anywhere I can buy one?

17. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

The green lights on ANH are also different from ESB/ROTJ ... please check the website I mentioned earlier ... there should be a thread on ANH Vader and his beltboxes and lights :)

Chaim

18. tammimars

tammimars Jr Member

I found it but it appears to be from an old stereo equipment.

19. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Post a picture of it, threads with pictures also attrack more viewers ... and perhaps someone can tell you where to search?

Chaim

20. tammimars

tammimars Jr Member

uploadfromtaptalk1431948947448.png None of the sites mentioned in this thread have the right ones anymore. Just hope someone has one to spare that I could buy.

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  21. tammimars

tammimars Jr Member

Considering how difficult it is to find some of the parts I am.seriously thinking about making it a later model.... like rotj .

22. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Perhaps you can check a local shop that sells all kinds of electronics for music, sound and lights and ask if they have any vintage inventory left ... I found the right size plastic light covers of ESB/ROTJ ... alas they were orange in color and still quite expensive. I was lucky to find some used green covers + accurate ESB red leds for sale on thepropden ... so I only had to build the black sides, which I did from the leftover ABS after cutting the rectangular holes in the plastic Hammond boxes :

[​IMG]

and a template for the belt buckle which I made out of plastic ABS :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 'silver or metal' like parts are made out of double layer 1mm black ABS ... the back is made of a 3mm thick still repainted medium gloss black ABS :)

Chaim

23. tammimars

tammimars Jr Member

Wow, great pictures, I found the green buttons at www.elfa.se and they have different sizes, do you know what size they are?

24. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Can you post a direct link to the ones you found, please? Check thepropden again ... I don't know how large the ANH are ... the green plastic covers I used are 13,5 x 20mm ... that's the green covers only not the extra plastic around :wacko

Chaim

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  25. tammimars

tammimars Jr Member

26. tammimars

tammimars Jr Member

27. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Indeed the one before is a bit to small . . . you need the lenses to be the size I mentioned ... the second ones are a bit to large but could be converted I suppose ... and if you are going to use batteries you may need to put another LED in for the correct Voltage (?) ... my dad was so kind to assist me with electronics. So have you decided which movie version of Darth Vader you are going to continue with?

Chaim

28. tammimars

tammimars Jr Member

Working on the beltbuckle, the lines are too wide so I sparkled them and made them tighter. More pictures later. uploadfromtaptalk1432134484569.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1432134498178.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1432134517307.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1432134530758.jpg

29. tammimars

tammimars Jr Member

The paint is far from perfect, might redo it. uploadfromtaptalk1432139780902.jpg

30. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Yeah ... I screwed up the first round of paint ... I than put some terpentine with chrome paint in a container left over from the Chinees take-away and put the metal looking part in that, after gently stirring and shaking it gave a nice even yet metal appearance by mere luck. Check the direction in which to point the belt buckle it should be reversed ... and those belt boxes are okay yet seem a bit to long ... but you can always upgrade later. The black belt is about 5,7 cm in width ... so a bit larger than regular fashion belts ... I found mine in a second hand store ;)

Chaim

31. tammimars

tammimars Jr Member

Ps, the photo was taken against a mirror ;-) so it's probably right in reality. I'm working on the cod piece today. 8mm thick Eva foam from a camping mat and faux leather.

32. tammimars

tammimars Jr Member

uploadfromtaptalk1432234394254.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1432234401058.jpg

Sym-Cha likes this.
  33. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Looks fine to me :) What's next?

Chaim

34. tammimars

tammimars Jr Member

Is the hole in the front big enough? I had no template so I drew by freehand.....

35. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Perhaps you could also join the SLD forum for lots more info as well? http://forum.501stsithlords.com/index.php?showforum=33 here's a whole section just about the codpiece :) Here's a picture of the best cods made today by ArtisanProps (AP) to compare ... it's ESB :

[​IMG]

Chaim

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  36. tammimars

tammimars Jr Member

I tried to fix the hole in the cod but messed it up. Made a new one instead from a picture I printed. uploadfromtaptalk1432306667392.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1432306687500.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1432306697720.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1432306722422.jpg
    I also ordered plastic boxes from eBay in the right sizes for the belt. Not Hammond but same size.

Sym-Cha likes this.
  37. tammimars

tammimars Jr Member

Added a Velcro belt to the inside of the cod so it will fit different sizes, the belt is from.a.secutityguard belt.

Sym-Cha likes this.
  38. tammimars

tammimars Jr Member

Built a mannequin in my size......
    uploadfromtaptalk1432741095419.jpg

39. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

That's looking to become a great Vader ... even on a tight budget as yours :)

Chaim

40. tammimars

tammimars Jr Member

Got this today.
    uploadfromtaptalk1433340045327.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1433340057578.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1433340074220.jpg

SofaKing01 likes this.
  41. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

It's okay however I so wish you would consult me for advice before you do your purchases, because it has the wrong endcap and I don't know if Roy wants to invest in producing the correct MPP like endcap unless there's a real demand :wacko

Chaim

42. tammimars

tammimars Jr Member

Well. It was a fast auction, only €40 with shipping. I can modify it......

43. tammimars

tammimars Jr Member

Fitting the rubber grips.
    uploadfromtaptalk1433422415507.jpg

44. Chicagovader

Chicagovader Sr Member

That looks like a 2 cell Highland.....it's about 2" or so too short.

45. tammimars

tammimars Jr Member

Oops, I guess I have a lot left to learn.... I found an extension on eBay, that might work...

46. tammimars

tammimars Jr Member

Begun building my own lightsaber.
    uploadfromtaptalk1434466002027.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1434466010278.jpg will polish it later.

47. tammimars

tammimars Jr Member