Darth Vader’s Cape Chain

DarthPoppins

Hello! I am new to this and trying to do a cosplay mash up. I am looking for suggestions on Vader’s cape and chain. Material suggestions and where to locate the chain? Also was it ever silver in one of the movies or is it always a black chain? Any help is appreciated!

Hello DarthPoppins and welcome aboard,

For the chain you need to look for the correct Aglok which is a black plastic product used to tie up anything agricultural related ... here's a picture (Courtesy decaturvader ) what to look for, since I noticed that the shape of the current Aglok available on Amazon is quite different :

Schermafbeelding 2023-03-26 om 03.04.46.png

Here some sample covered hooks to attach the Aglok cape chain onto your cape's collar :

DV - Cape Hooks.png

For the cape in the Original Trilogy they used 3/4 circle made from 4 or 5 panels depending on available fabric ... here's an example :

cape.jpg

And how to cut your fabric which should be a semi-heavy wool blend :

cape-cutting.gif

DV Wool.jpg

The cape is lined with satin and has a black leather collar.

Now if you want to make a screen-accurate Vader and want to know all about Vader's costume, I suggest you head over to the 501st Sith Lord Detachment Forums :)

Chaïm

Last edited:
Thank you so much!! I am attempting to do do a cosplay mashup. So not authentic Vader, but I will definitely check them out. I have been trying to find the aglok but no luck.

That is fantastic! Mine is nothing like this :) but I don't want to announce it until I get a little further.

Yes, it should have been obvious from the forum name ... guess I wasn't paying attention :)

It's looking really great!

== John ==

this was neat to see. I haven't been active here for a long time due to life/interest changes...heck, my avatar even reminds me of the terrible forum hack that took place all those years ago.
My cape would have came from Dale at Galaxy Trading waaay back somewhere around 2001. I seem to remember a chain coming with it originally...but I had a seamstress install those hooks as Sym-Cha illustrated above. I probably received the aglock from a member here...or perhaps it was an upgrade Dale offered at the time.
I haven't worn my suit in years...but I do miss trooping.
I often wonder what ever became of Dale.

I can get my chain out and measure it if anyone would deem that necessary.
Cheers
Chad

this was neat to see. I haven't been active here for a long time due to life/interest changes...heck, my avatar even reminds me of the terrible forum hack that took place all those years ago.
My cape would have came from Dale at Galaxy Trading waaay back somewhere around 2001. I seem to remember a chain coming with it originally...but I had a seamstress install those hooks as Sym-Cha illustrated above. I probably received the aglock from a member here...or perhaps it was an upgrade Dale offered at the time.
I haven't worn my suit in years...but I do miss trooping.
I often wonder what ever became of Dale.

I can get my chain out and measure it if anyone would deem that necessary.
Cheers
Chad
Thank you! I have had no luck finding the actual aglok anywhere. But I think I found something on Etsy that looks right. I’m going to prob give it a try. :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back