Darth Traya - Original Concept - WIP

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Alora Vayne, May 19, 2015.

1. Alora Vayne

Alora Vayne New Member

Hey all. First thread, so be gentle! :p

I'm Liz, of AuraBlu Cosplay. I've been making costumes for two or three years now and thought I'd post the latest here.

I'm currently in the process of constructing a Darth Traya cosplay... however, I wasn't too keen on the idea of an old woman shrouded in heavy robes. So, I decided to concept out an ensemble that still had the feel of Traya, but was more appropriate for a younger version of her. I've also recently started lightsaber choreography classes with the Jet City Saber Guild, so I wanted something that would look amazing as I moved.

So far I have begun construction on the skirt, undersleeves, and headpiece. I'll add to this thread as progress continues. :)

Skirt Materials: Raw Silk. Leather and other adornments under construction.
    Skirt_3.jpg

Base of headpiece. White wig already acquired. Center stone and supplementary hair extensions on the way. Bands in concept phase.
    headpiece_1.jpg

Undersleeves:
    Undersleeve_1.jpg

Bell sleeves done!
    Sleeves_1.jpg

Headpiece and front hairpiece. Headpiece is covered in genuine lambskin leather.
    headpiece_3.jpg headpiece_4.jpg headpiece_5.jpg

Skirt strips, genuine lambskin leather.

Skirt_Strips_1.jpg

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
    MAAZ and Talaaya like this.
  2. Talaaya

Talaaya Well-Known Member

Awesome! I can't wait to see this!

Alora Vayne likes this.
  3. Sni9er

Sni9er Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

wow fantastic level of work so far keep it up !

4. Alora Vayne

Alora Vayne New Member

Finished sewing together all the panels for the undersleeves (talk about monotonous work). Now all that's left is to sew them to fit my arm. They'll peek out from inside the bell sleeves, so they're a bit short, since you'll only ever see the forearms.
    Undersleeve_1.jpg

5. Alora Vayne

Alora Vayne New Member

Bell sleeves (oversleeves) done and pinned to the dress form. Between that and the undersleeves I'm beat! :cheers

6. nwjedidave

nwjedidave Sr Member

Welcome to the RPF.
    Seattleite here as well. (really NE Tacoma)
    Looks great so far.

7. Alora Vayne

Alora Vayne New Member

Thanks! I went and ordered some red suede/black leather, and went out to get the cabochon for the headpiece and a few other knicknacks today. I'm hoping to have a good amount of work done on the headpiece by the end of the long weekend. :)

8. Alora Vayne

Alora Vayne New Member

Headpiece is coming along quite nicely. :) Hairpieces hand sewn together, and will be attached to the balaclava.
    headpiece_3.jpg headpiece_4.jpg headpiece_5.jpg
    I have also purchased a lightsaber prop from Vader's Vault. I'm absolutely in love with it and SUPER antsy for it to get to me, even though I only ordered it a week ago and it's not due for 2-4 more weeks. :(

Dark_Havoc_Saber_1.jpg

9. Alora Vayne

Alora Vayne New Member

More progress!

Skirt front panel and accent strips. All made of lambskin leather and hand painted.

Skirt_6.jpg Skirt_Strips_3.jpg

10. Coop

Coop Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is looking fantastic. Love the attention to detail.

11. LorduDesign

LorduDesign Sr Member

Wow! It's really great idea to build it!

12. mugatu

mugatu Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is really looking very good. I'm not familiar with this character but I like the look of this so far.

13. Alora Vayne

Alora Vayne New Member

So after a few adjustments, here it is, complete except for the headpiece.

I need to adjust a snap and put some interfacing in the shoulder are of the tabard (so it doesn't sag) but it performed well in combat today and I'm really happy with how comfortable it is. Now to put some real work into Traya's headpiece. I have till the end of August, so I can really take some time and do the best work possible on it.

complete2.jpg

Yrien likes this.
  14. usajdm

usajdm Well-Known Member

Beautiful work.
    I love seeing the female costumes based off care, craftsmanship and authenticity, over curves and cleavage.
    I applaud you.
    Awaitnig more.

15. Alora Vayne

Alora Vayne New Member

I am way too much of a Star Wars geek to go against canon stylewise. As sexy as I may get would be Asajj Ventress, and that's still fairly modest. I'm out to portray a character, not show off boobies. Hahahah.

And thank you!

16. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

Very cool! I love seeing costumes that you don't already have thirty other people showing up as.