Darth Sidious saber WIP

bwize

Sr Member
Here are some wip pics of my fan made Darth Sidious lightsaber. I had to start over and decided to make it a bit larger than my first attempt. It looks and feels better at this scale. I am trying to fabricate as much of the details as possible myself and not rely on a machinist for the emitter. It has been a blast and I will contune to update as it progresses.

Let me know what you think?

http://photos.hobbytalk.com/showphoto.php/...o/11413/cat/509
http://photos.hobbytalk.com/showphoto.php/...o/11412/cat/509
http://photos.hobbytalk.com/showphoto.php/...o/11411/cat/509
http://photos.hobbytalk.com/showphoto.php/...o/11410/cat/509
http://photos.hobbytalk.com/showphoto.php/...o/11409/cat/509
http://photos.hobbytalk.com/showphoto.php/...o/11408/cat/509

<div class='quotetop'>(amish @ May 15 2006, 03:06 PM) [snapback]1244566[/snapback]</div>
Fantastic... Is it all PVC?
[/b]

Thanks guys for the words of encouragement.

It is PVC, resin and styrene. The curved inner core is the resin while the outer tube is the pvc. The pommell is styrene and will have a resin detail added. I found brass rings of the EXACT size for the neck rings and am still considering having the emmitter machined? I will keep updating as it progress, I promise.

Bryan

sweet. Its looking great. Would you share with us exactly how you made it? Be sure to update us on progress, I cant stand seeing something start out awesome and then not get any more progress shots later on.

keep up the good work.

:D

<div class='quotetop'>(DarthCalibar @ May 15 2006, 04:22 PM) [snapback]1244597[/snapback]</div>
sweet. Its looking great. Would you share with us exactly how you made it? Be sure to update us on progress, I cant stand seeing something start out awesome and then not get any more progress shots later on.

keep up the good work.

:D
[/b]

Well, I made another one before this, just a bit smaller inscale and got a little carried away with the dremmel and decided that I would rather make it a bit larger than the MR/screen used prop. So I started with a 1 1/2 pvc pipe and a scaled profile/top/bottom of the MR to 1 1/2 OD. I then cut that pipe down to the appropriate length and poured a reain plug of the pvc pipe. Having no access to a real image creating software, I used what I had to make the template for the cut outs for the pvc- MS powerpoint. I took the od of the pvc and got the circumference and made a template that would wrap around the pvc pipe. I meticulously measured the scaled MR reference images and transfered that to the MS Pwrpoint template and tweaked it until I was satisfied. After the resin had cured, I slipped it out of the pvc and used spray adhesie to attach the paper template to the pvc and used my trusty dremmel to cut out the ovel shape on the topside and the curves on the bottom. I also made marks on the template for the LEDs and the knob near the pommel on the bottom. These are the three screws that U see in the pics that R also holding the resin to the pvc. Since there R many finish types to this design (brass, chrome, gold plate and pearlescent paint) I made all these pieces seperate as to make finishing them easier. The pommel started out as 4 styrene discs laminated together to get the proper thickness and then attached to the rear and shaped with the dremmel. It turned out much better than I had hoped. I still need to attach the odd shape and it's base to the pommell. I seem to remember an old fashion candy that bears a strong resemblence to that shape, so as soon as I can find some, I am going to see if I am right and hopefuly take a quick cast of it.
I took the pvc and its resin core to a friend of mine and used a compound mitter to cut the angles to the neck and pommel area. The pvc'c edges were then sanded smooth and shaped to match the MR prop. The neck base is what U see crudely taped to the front. It was shaped to match the MR as well. The resin shrinks a tiny bit when it cools, so I will slowly build up a primer layer to make it a tight fit in the pvc sleave. This will also prepare it for the gloss black base for the alclad laquer paint for the chrome areas. Alcald makes a pearlescent laquer, but it has green in the mix and I am not sure that will look right. I found some brass rings of the exact od that I will paint gold and use for ther neck rings. I have begun work on shaping the triangular shaped piece above the rings and very pleased with it so far. I may however, have the pieces above the rings machined out of alum and brass for accuracy?

I will keep posting updates and I make progress. Please be aware that I work two jobs, so it may be days between posts.

Bryan

Well, here is a small update. I worked on the pommell details and have gotten pretty close to the original. Just need a bit of tweeking and air bubble filling (resin :angry ). Only took three tries to get that knob looking like it does. I am very pleased with how this is looking. Let me know what ya'll think.

http://photos.hobbytalk.com/showphoto.php/...500/ppuser/8585

Thanks for looking.

Bryan

You know, I keep thinking his saber is a found part. I was watching Armageddon (save the groans) and the remote detonator Bruce Willis' character used looks an awful lot like the hilt for Sidious' saber. Just a thought...hijack over.

Looks very very nice. Qui, I know what you mean. Ive seen lots of things that look like sidious sabers around, I was washing the dishes one night and realised that our dish brush looks a bit like a Sid Saber.

If you get a chance, watch the end of that movie again. The button even looks like the bottom of Sidious' saber. It has the contoured handgrip and everything.

<div class='quotetop'>(Thrawn @ May 25 2006, 07:41 AM) [snapback]1250313[/snapback]</div>
Looks very very nice. Qui, I know what you mean. Ive seen lots of things that look like sidious sabers around, I was washing the dishes one night and realised that our dish brush looks a bit like a Sid Saber.
[/b]

Thanks guys for the kind words. It's funny, I have thought the same thruought this project. I am constantly finding things that remind me of the details of Sids saber. I will have to take a look at the movie again to see what you all R talking about.

Several people have expressed a desire for me to finish this as the V2 hilt. The main roadblock I have with the details of the V2 is the stark black and silver/chrome paint scheme. The prismatic paint coupled with the beautiful gold and brass is stunning and really compliments the design.

I am still giving it consideration though?

OK, I have a question. I have been primering the inner resin plug that makes up the curved grip. As a result of the resin shrinking during the curing process, there was a small gap about the thinkness of a sheet of paper between the resin and the outer PVC sleeve. I needed to build up the resin to make a tighter fit so I have been laying down several layers of enamel primer to achieve that. After about 4-5 coats, it is a very tight fit, in fact I will be lightly sanding the last coat to make it fit best.

My question is, how is the primer going to affect the gluing process between the resin and PVC. I don't care if it messes up the primer as I will be laying down gloss black for the Alclad chrome. But I am very unsure as to how well the two parts will glue with all that primer. I could think of no other way to build-up the resin.

Please advise.
Thanks

Bryan

In case you are wondering, the resin was two-part epoxy.

Why use glue? The screw that holds the covertec knob on could also hold the resin plug and the PVC grip shroud together. If the screw is tightened, it does not rattle.

This is how I built my home-made Obi-Wan TPM saber, and it works fine. I can easily take it apart whenever I want to polish the aluminum tube I put inside the black grip, or even the metal shroud that is around the black grip. There is a hole that goes through the three pieces, but the hole in the innermost piece is slightly smaller than the others and tapped for the screw.

Hmmmmm...... I had given that some thought as chrome painting the resin core would be easier if it was separate. But, I would hate to scratch that beautiful chrome job sliding it into the PVC sleeve. Not to mention I would have to sand off much of the primer now as the gloss black and chrome paint will make it not fit.

Just need to know how the glue will work with the primer?

Thanks

Bryan

Looks really good, funny thing is I had this urge to finally finish mine today.:p
-Why did you end up making it larger than the MR/SU one though?

<div class='quotetop'>(LogansRunner @ Jun 23 2006, 08:42 PM) [snapback]1266861[/snapback]</div>
Looks really good, funny thing is I had this urge to finally finish mine today.:p
-Why did you end up making it larger than the MR/SU one though?
[/b]

Well, because I couldn't find the pipe of the correct diameter for one. Anyway, at the scale mine is, it feels better in the hand. It is only a small fraction larger. I have had the pleasure of holding the real deal and I am quite happy with mine.

I am still wanting some advise on how the primer is going to interact with the super glue?????? It is a leason in patience because the layers of primer are having to cure. It may take a week or more?

Anybody?????

Thanks
Bryan

I believe that most of the PT sabers had a degree of found items that went into in their design process.

Like this.
1. Make a rough sketch of what prop will look like.
2. Find any parts that resemble the parts of the saber in the sketch.
3. Assemble found parts to look like concept sketch.
4. Make final saber design drawing, filling in any blank areas that the found parts didn't fill in.
5. Machine saber

Come on evidence is everyware. I've found vintage curved vacuum cleaner pipes that look like Dooku's saber (I'm using one for my WIP Dooku saber), a painting tool that looks like Sidious's saber (I used this scuffed up piece for a stunt saber thats a WIP as it would never look as good as a hero prop), some heavy-duty fishing pole handles look like the upper portion of Mace's saber, and I know Anakin's sabers were based off the found parts that made the ANH Vader and ESB Luke sabers.

<div class='quotetop'>(JunkSabers1138 @ Jul 7 2006, 11:59 PM) [snapback]1276471[/snapback]</div>
I believe that most of the PT sabers had a degree of found items that went into in their design process.

Like this.
1. Make a rough sketch of what prop will look like.
2. Find any parts that resemble the parts of the saber in the sketch.
3. Assemble found parts to look like concept sketch.
4. Make final saber design drawing, filling in any blank areas that the found parts didn't fill in.
5. Machine saber

Come on evidence is everyware. I've found vintage curved vacuum cleaner pipes that look like Dooku's saber (I'm using one for my WIP Dooku saber), a painting tool that looks like Sidious's saber (I used this scuffed up piece for a stunt saber thats a WIP as it would never look as good as a hero prop), and I know Anakin's sabers were based off the found parts that made the ANH Vader and ESB Luke sabers.
[/b]

Show us some pics of the Dooku found part, please..

Looks great.. :thumbsup But..... your first set of pics have some shots of it where it looks an awful lot like the Enterprise. I think it needs more work.... :p

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back