Darth Revan 3D printed helmet

TomRM

Hey all, I've finally got to making my first prop.
It's going to be a personal take on Revan's mask.
Now, for Revan it always made more sense to me that it'd be a helmet instead of a mask, as he took it of a mandalorian with a jetpack, I think you'd want full protection all the way around exposing yourself like that on the battlefield.
So I tried to combine some elements of Boba Fett's helmet along with kylo ren's helmet into a helmet version of this:
Helmet_WIP_001.png

First thing to do now is printing out a rough version of this and seeing how it fits me. I just received some helmet pads and I ordered a small fan to put in there aswell. After finding a good placement for those things, I'll be able to make adjustments.

I also plan on modeling a full interior that incorporates the pads and the fan (+ possibly air ducts). But I first want to have final proportions for the outer helmet.

Interesting concept. Instead of elements of a modern era Mandalorian helmet, I'd have opted for designs of Mando helmets of the Crusader era, such as Revans buddy Canderous Ordo.

If it turns out well, would you be up for making copies?

Good point! I'll try some variation with Canderous' helmet and see how it turns out..
I tried to make it more 'old republic era' by adding the neckpiece, in the full 3D version I have of him (wip):
Neckpiece.PNG

I've also tried it for scale with the padding in place, but it's a little too short above the eyes as I have to tilt it all the way forward now:
fitting_01.JPG

Sure, I'd be up for that, might take some tries as I never did this before, but we'll see. I can definetely place the 3d file online as well, once it's finished :)

I've also tried it for scale with the padding in place, but it's a little too short above the eyes as I have to tilt it all the way forward now

Hey TomRM ! Great START! Five things I would recommend would be:

1. to get some calipers and measure your head so that you can model your head first and then make the 3D model of your helmet fit your head. Wet your hair down flat against your head and take a profile photo and a front and back photo as well to import into your 3D model to help you place your measurements.

2. I can suggest that you move the padding at the far back of the helmet so that it sits down beneath the lump at the back of your skull right where the top of your neck begins. This will help prevent the helmet from rocking forward.

3. Add cheek pads. This will help prevent the helmet from rocking backward. They should sit just below the bottom edge of your cheek bone.

4. Experiment with thinner or thicker padding in different areas to customize how the helmet fits to, and sits on your head.

5. Since this helmet's shape is much lower in the front than in the back, it would naturally roll forward if all of the planes are the same thickness. To help prevent this, make the back panel thicker, especially the last couple of inches at the very bottom edge of it. Then make the top panel thinner, and the face panels thinner still. Something like 1/4" at the back, 3/16" at the top, and 1/8" through the face.

The bulk of the images created of Darth Revan have him slouching forward as though his helmet weighed heavily upon his head, so some of the angling forward would be expected, but having the helmet change position on you constantly because of improper balance would make it unfun to wear. I hope these suggestions help you prevent that from happening!

Good Luck on your helmet, it's looking great so far!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back