Darth Maul project: Sabers, clothes, makeup;

Atnevon

Hey Folks,

So for Dragon Con this year i have been getting into great shape for my first shirtless cosplay: Darth Maul (A variation of course). The trick is I am making a fun hybrid of Kratos from God of War, and Mail: Thus....Darth Kratos!!! This is a lot of milestones for me and I'm coming out of a multi-year funk of not making any new projects happen. So here I roll now!

I have LOTS of questions so hopefully I can channel some through this thread (Project thread? Are...those a thing?) So lets get started:

The Saber:

High Level:
I have some big milestones and goals for myself in this realm. My high-end goal is to have Mauls hilt with custom 3D-printed Blades of Chaos made into a more lightsaber-fashioned shape. The blades would be made so there would be tiny slips in between ans the edges would have small pieces of paper or very light fabric attached in a tassel-like way. This I hope (and I hope is the high-key word there :p )Because of their and the lightsaber nature I had an idea to wire red LEDs as well as a small osculating fan to all combine so when I am standing still the blade would have an unstable-effect liek Kylo Ren's blade.

MVP:
Its looking more this way now becausew of time, but, I plan to order an Ultrasaber build of Mauls blades (The Menace SE for those curious):
saber.png

Being this is the option I am looking, I have the following questions:
1: Are the Ultrasabers easy to mod and upgrade later for my high-end goal? I ask this because I want to be more barebones for now with the intention to grow. Simple Saber now, however, be able to take the electronic apart, ad some more LED strands, the fan; or long time thinking in I wonder: Can I get the nice parts and mod my saber myself to have the sound-drivers, clash effect, ect? Or is that an upfront order only with limited ability later on? Can anyone shed light into this area nice?
TL;DR: Can I order a stunt now, upgrade to a Diamond or Emerald on my own later with the parts? Or is it factory order only?

2: Is there a must for the Maul saber I should look at? Perhaps if I'm going a certainly route for Mauls saber, is Ultra the best to go. I get the impression it is with my goals for the future and getting a good saber overall, but, if I'm modding myself would it be easier to just take a lesser toy hilt and mod that instead?

The Makeup:

I've had a BUNCH of reading and seem to have narrowed down this some. However, noentheless:

Airbrushing: I have been recommended some different paints and airbrush kits. However I am getitng some mixed messages.

One was the combo of This compressor kit and using this paint as the main base for painting my body red, and can use brushes to paint my black areas on top. Cool.

However I also heard from a coworker that I should REALLY HAVE a compressor with a tank ( a 1 gallon would be plenty I was told). We looked at for instance this model on amazon and I also saw a decently low price one at Lowes. I was poking around at Lowes as well and saw this one but in the specifications it says that Airbrushing is a no. So I am a bit confused for sure in what to look for.

Makeup wise to put in I am torn between The Kryolan Red and this other paint recommended to me, the EBA Endura

So my question in this route is: What should I look for in a compressor I can easily bring to the con with me to save a TON of time and would be budget friendly to my needs.

Budget Cover Robe:

So I am not lookign for a full maul attrie at all, but, would be nice to have a small over-robe and hood to "unveil" the unsuspecting Kratos style tattooing and extras I have in mind. Especially if I compete and can perform some in a contest. So are there any sith robes in mind that have a little extra room that might also be easily removable for me in this case?

Finally: The Extras:

Removers, eye makeup, contacts, horns, all else: Does anyone have a good go-to place for these items. They seem simpler and easier to get but wanted to ask nonetheless.

WHEW.....its quiote a bit for sure buit I'm doing well in lots of research and hope to get in some makeup practice for my eyes, and hopefully my makeup on my body all in in time before Labor Day Weekend. Dragon Con here I come for year 6! :D Thanks for any good resources, advice, links, lessons, or anything else that would help.

The Harbor Freight airbrush compressor (or similar) will do just fine. You don't need a tank or a lot of power to run one airbrush.

If you want to get a stunt ultra saber for now, and plan to gut it, and put your own internals in, then that's an option. if you want to upgrade it to better versions of an ultra saber, that's practically impossible; if you don't see the upgraded guts for sale separately in their "electronics" bits section, then you're not going to be able to upgrade.

Second on the Korbanth DM1. I have one and am working on installing it. If you don't have time, then the install might take longer than you are wanting.

On the airbrush / compressor:
I have this as well as a few of my 501st friends. It works great and it easy to setup. Not super loud either.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TO578Q/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Paint:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00886ISQQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008NCXJ5K/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Mixing liquid to thin it down for the airbrush:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Z26GSO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It goes on and lasts for quite a while. My friend does Barris Offee and she is painted in green and it works until she is done with our troop.

The sith lord forum has a lot of suggestions on where to get different items that match Maul. I am working to finish mine up. Hardest part for accuracy is getting a hold of some accurate boots (most expensive part too...).

Good luck!

I have been looking into doing a Maul for a while. I have the Ultrasabers Menace CE with sound and absolutely love it. The SE would also work just fine too. I highly recommend that rout. If your end goal is an Ultrasaber with sound, get it with sound from the beginning. I wasn't able to get the full thing right away, so I ordered each half, fully loaded, a few months apart.

I use an airbrush almost every day, and use the deluxe one from Harbor Freight, and the small airbrush air compressor. It works great. Any air compressor will work, but the airbrush one is pretty quiet compared to a 1 gallon one you can get at Lowes.

KR sabers is coming out with a Maul saber and it looks phenomenal. A little pricey at 300 gbp for an empty hilt, bit far superior to any other offering as of late.

I am currently working on my Korbanth DM1 (new version). I have not scrutinized over the accuracy of the hilt itself but from what I can tell its pretty close to screen accurate. It started out as more of the test experiment for my first neopixel blade and ended up being a full build. The board is a Plector PRIZM 5.1 and I had to come up with a chassis from Goth3d's parts that fit into 7/8" blade holders. I have to say that the flexibility of parts that comes with this hilt is pretty impressive - you can see the black metal cyl I have only had to make small modifications to hold my chassis in place and add the light up led switches. I will put my vid of the one end working up on here laters.

IMG_20180616_205719.jpg

IMG_20180616_205816.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back