Darth Maul Force Fx Review & bunch of Pic`s

forcefx

Ok Here it is,the 1st MR Darth Maul Force Fx review to hit the net..
Along with about 40 pictures of the Maul in all its glory...

Here is the link to the review and pics..enjoy and MTYBWY.

DARTH MAUL TPM FORCE FX REVIEW

maulzzz0ei.jpg

VIDEO UPDATE 2-25-06
Check the single blade Darth Maul TPM Force FX Video
http://www.akaimpc.com/buyfx.html#anchor_69

I just got mine the other day. I ordered the single blade version, now I'm seriously thinking of ordering another so I can join them together. Each one comes with a connector for making the double-bladed version.

A few short comments, first being that the blade does appear more orangey-red than full on red. My opinion. Second, the "battle-damaged" endcap isn't damaged at all. It's a smooth clean cut with no exposed wires, only a small un-lit crystal visible from the end. The sound is good, but again, it sounds like a Vader sabre, not Maul's. Great weight and supreb craftsmanship on this one. Very well done MR, very well done.

A friend just got one and I was unimpressed. Color was off and as was noted above the "battle damaged" cap... isn't. :p As well, I just don't have the wall space to display the two joined and to display them side by side or next to each other is silly. I don't think I'll be purchasing one.

I'm interested in this one, but I'm going to wait until I see some reports of someone taking it apart. If it's possible to make the blades removable, then I'll almost certainly get one. If it's extrememly difficult to disassemble, or the blades can't be modified... I'll have to pass on it.

What is the emitter made out of? Is it metal like the rest of the hilt, or plastic?

Originally posted by Sluis Van Shipyards@Mar 23 2006, 09:41 PM
They didn't use the sound of Maul's saber?.?. That's lame. There's a reason they gave them distinct sounds.
[snapback]1212047[/snapback]​

dude its harder to copy sound from newer digital movies than old ones... :unsure

OH WAIT... no, its not.

that is especially lame.

but if you think about it, when maul weilds the single blade, it sounds just like vaders...

maybe they used the vader sounds in the film, but ray park swinging speeds cause the higher sounds???

maybe when connected, they generate different sounds? (doubt that)

if it is just a vader sound swap... that is lame.

OMG it DOESN'T have RAY PARK'S fingerprints on it? MR SUCKS.

Jeez, guys. I have to say, complaining about the sound? I mean, did the sabers really have different sounds? Why not complain that the blades on the ROTS sabers weren't POINTY? Not trying to be a dick, but again, jeez.

How does the hilt size compare? I've been jonesing for an affordable half Maul. The FX might make a nice base for a project.

I'd say it's pretty damn close to the correct size. As for the emitter, this baby is all metal from butt to emitter. Very solid construction. The sound is a minor annoyance, but again I only have a single bladed one. One other minor problem...they give you the twin connector piece, along with a nifty allen wrench, but no instructions for joining the two sabres together. It appears to be simply screw the two halves together with the connector, but inside the connector is an allen bolt...for what purpose I don't understand. Very weird. MR Does need to work on putting instructions in their FX series. I have an older Anakin sabre that it took me two weeks and a dozen web searches to figure out how to change the damn batteries. Not to mention the sound no longer works on it...gripe for another thread. I'll try and post some pictures tomorrow when my camera is charged.

Originally posted by tk5378@Mar 24 2006, 03:01 AM
I'd say it's pretty damn close to the correct size. As for the emitter, this baby is all metal from butt to emitter. Very solid construction. The sound is a minor annoyance, but again I only have a single bladed one. One other minor problem...they give you the twin connector piece, along with a nifty allen wrench, but no instructions for joining the two sabres together. It appears to be simply screw the two halves together with the connector, but inside the connector is an allen bolt...for what purpose I don't understand. Very weird. MR Does need to work on putting instructions in their FX series. I have an older Anakin sabre that it took me two weeks and a dozen web searches to figure out how to change the damn batteries. Not to mention the sound no longer works on it...gripe for another thread. I'll try and post some pictures tomorrow when my camera is charged.
[snapback]1212103[/snapback]​

So did your camera charge :)

HI TK,

The Darth Maul does come with instructions on how to but the two together. It is in a plastic bag under the display stand.

The allen wrench can be used for lining up the two Battle Damaged Darth Maul halves once they are put together to make it look like one piece, the full Maul.

Originally posted by tk5378@Mar 24 2006, 03:01 AM
[snapback]1212103[/snapback]​

Originally posted by cayman shen@Mar 23 2006, 07:37 PM
Jeez, guys.  I have to say, complaining about the sound?  I mean, did the sabers really have different sounds?  Why not complain that the blades on the ROTS sabers weren't POINTY?  Not trying to be a dick, but again, jeez.

Yeah, it is just an expensive toy, isn't it?

Actually I own a couple of the MR FX sabers and had intended to use them as displays and light source. I had to disable the sound (I described how in a thread here at RPF) but I've not found a way to prevent them from turning off after several minutes.

Unless I can find a way to have them stay on... I will end up selling them. As a display they would be great, as a toy for people to swing around they're great (just don't whack 'em too hard)... I definately won't be caught swinging 'em around while someone films me looking like "Star Wars Kid" :lol

But as a static display... Too inaccurate for my tastes.

Originally posted by cayman shen@Mar 23 2006, 09:37 PM
OMG it DOESN'T have RAY PARK'S fingerprints on it?  MR SUCKS.

Jeez, guys.  I have to say, complaining about the sound?  I mean, did the sabers really have different sounds?  Why not complain that the blades on the ROTS sabers weren't POINTY?  Not trying to be a dick, but again, jeez.

[snapback]1212081[/snapback]​

Uh yeah they do have different sounds. If you can't tell from the movies, there's lots of Ben Burtt interviews where he tells exactly what went into them. If I'm paying $199 for one, it better sound like Darth Maul's lightsaber. Maybe you have money to burn, but most people don't.

Originally posted by cayman shen@Mar 23 2006, 10:37 PM

Why would it have Ray Parks' finger prints on it when Darth Maul was the only person seen using it??? And even he was wearing gloves at the time

I think he was trying to be funny or elaborate on a point he was about to make.

I'll be buying one of these for sure. Been waiting a long time for one of these.

Originally posted by Sluis Van Shipyards+Mar 24 2006, 05:08 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sluis Van Shipyards @ Mar 24 2006, 05:08 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-cayman shen
@Mar 23 2006, 09:37 PM

Uh yeah they do have different sounds. If you can't tell from the movies, there's lots of Ben Burtt interviews where he tells exactly what went into them. If I'm paying $199 for one, it better sound like Darth Maul's lightsaber. Maybe you have money to burn, but most people don't.
[snapback]1212753[/snapback]​
[/b]

I'll be honest, I can't tell the difference most of the time, but Maul's saber sounds were VERY distinct. I suggest turning the volume up and turning your back to the screen or closing your eyes. You will hear the difference.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back