Darth Maul Force Fx Review & bunch of Pic`s

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by forcefx, Mar 22, 2006.

1. forcefx

forcefx Active Member

2. Star Wars Helmets

Star Wars Helmets Sr Member

I think I'm going to HAVE to get one of these - superb.

Thanks for the review

Cheers

Jez

3. tk5378

tk5378 Well-Known Member

I just got mine the other day. I ordered the single blade version, now I'm seriously thinking of ordering another so I can join them together. Each one comes with a connector for making the double-bladed version.

A few short comments, first being that the blade does appear more orangey-red than full on red. My opinion. Second, the "battle-damaged" endcap isn't damaged at all. It's a smooth clean cut with no exposed wires, only a small un-lit crystal visible from the end. The sound is good, but again, it sounds like a Vader sabre, not Maul's. Great weight and supreb craftsmanship on this one. Very well done MR, very well done.

4. SurferGeek

SurferGeek Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

A friend just got one and I was unimpressed. Color was off and as was noted above the "battle damaged" cap... isn't. :p As well, I just don't have the wall space to display the two joined and to display them side by side or next to each other is silly. I don't think I'll be purchasing one.

5. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

I'm interested in this one, but I'm going to wait until I see some reports of someone taking it apart. If it's possible to make the blades removable, then I'll almost certainly get one. If it's extrememly difficult to disassemble, or the blades can't be modified... I'll have to pass on it.

What is the emitter made out of? Is it metal like the rest of the hilt, or plastic?

6. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

I too will wait for more opinions before getting this one. I do like the idea of being able to join two together.

7. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

when are these supposed to be available to the public???

8. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

The last date I heard was "April".

9. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

They didn't use the sound of Maul's saber?.?. That's lame. There's a reason they gave them distinct sounds.

10. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

dude its harder to copy sound from newer digital movies than old ones... :unsure

OH WAIT... no, its not.

that is especially lame.

but if you think about it, when maul weilds the single blade, it sounds just like vaders...

maybe they used the vader sounds in the film, but ray park swinging speeds cause the higher sounds???

maybe when connected, they generate different sounds? (doubt that)

if it is just a vader sound swap... that is lame.

11. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

OMG it DOESN'T have RAY PARK'S fingerprints on it? MR SUCKS.

Jeez, guys. I have to say, complaining about the sound? I mean, did the sabers really have different sounds? Why not complain that the blades on the ROTS sabers weren't POINTY? Not trying to be a dick, but again, jeez.

How does the hilt size compare? I've been jonesing for an affordable half Maul. The FX might make a nice base for a project.

12. tk5378

tk5378 Well-Known Member

I'd say it's pretty * close to the correct size. As for the emitter, this baby is all metal from butt to emitter. Very solid construction. The sound is a minor annoyance, but again I only have a single bladed one. One other minor problem...they give you the twin connector piece, along with a nifty allen wrench, but no instructions for joining the two sabres together. It appears to be simply screw the two halves together with the connector, but inside the connector is an allen bolt...for what purpose I don't understand. Very weird. MR Does need to work on putting instructions in their FX series. I have an older Anakin sabre that it took me two weeks and a dozen web searches to figure out how to change the * batteries. Not to mention the sound no longer works on it...gripe for another thread. I'll try and post some pictures tomorrow when my camera is charged.

13. kalkamel

kalkamel Sr Member

Can you see the red crystal at the bottom of the saber?

14. forcefx

forcefx Active Member

So did your camera charge :)

15. MRCUSTOMERCARE

MRCUSTOMERCARE Well-Known Member

HI TK,

The Darth Maul does come with instructions on how to but the two together. It is in a plastic bag under the display stand.

The allen wrench can be used for lining up the two Battle Damaged Darth Maul halves once they are put together to make it look like one piece, the full Maul.

16. SurferGeek

SurferGeek Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yeah, it is just an expensive toy, isn't it?

Actually I own a couple of the MR FX sabers and had intended to use them as displays and light source. I had to disable the sound (I described how in a thread here at RPF) but I've not found a way to prevent them from turning off after several minutes.

Unless I can find a way to have them stay on... I will end up selling them. As a display they would be great, as a toy for people to swing around they're great (just don't whack 'em too hard)... I definately won't be caught swinging 'em around while someone films me looking like "Star Wars Kid" :lol

But as a static display... Too inaccurate for my tastes.

17. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

Uh yeah they do have different sounds. If you can't tell from the movies, there's lots of Ben Burtt interviews where he tells exactly what went into them. If I'm paying $199 for one, it better sound like Darth Maul's lightsaber. Maybe you have money to burn, but most people don't.

18. allosaur176

allosaur176 Sr Member

Why would it have Ray Parks' finger prints on it when Darth Maul was the only person seen using it??? And even he was wearing gloves at the time

19. Prop-Maker

Prop-Maker Well-Known Member

I think he was trying to be funny or elaborate on a point he was about to make.

I'll be buying one of these for sure. Been waiting a long time for one of these.

20. jlee562

jlee562 Sr Member

I'll be honest, I can't tell the difference most of the time, but Maul's saber sounds were VERY distinct. I suggest turning the volume up and turning your back to the screen or closing your eyes. You will hear the difference.

21. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

I'm pretty sure Allosaur176 was being funny too ;) Poking fun at the communities excessive attention to detail (Maul was always wearing gloves when his hands were seen on screen)

Considering the digital sound from the movies, it is rather lazy of MR not to use the correct sound for each saber. However, maybe they aren't to blame. Perhaps ILM or LFL were unable or unwilling to make the digital recordings available to them. Who knows? Maybe they thought we wouln't notice... that would be pretty foolish.

I'm still interested inspite of the sound issue. I just won't buy until I know it can be modified with relative ease. I don't mind redoing solders, but I'm not interested in having to break parts to dissassemble it.

22. DarthBish

DarthBish Well-Known Member

well......I must be easily pleased... ;)
    I've got a Vader, and I love EVERY SINGLE BIT of it from the hilt to the blade.

As a 13 year old kid, when I first saw Star Wars in 1977, I was COMPLETELY "Gob-Smacked" by the idea of a lightsaber.

The FX sabers are definately the closest ANY of us are ever going to get to a "real" one

23. forcefx

forcefx Active Member

24. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

OK, so we've established that I'm deaf...:)

And yes, I know Darth Maul wore gloves...(rolls eyes)

But these things are horrifically inaccurate. If the Maul hilt is better than, say the Windu or the ROTJ, is it a crime if the sound's a bit off? I think it looks pretty snazzy (though the dual covertechs annoy me).

25. Star Wars Man

Star Wars Man Well-Known Member

a dual one of those, with hyperdyne's blades, sh.t man

26. allosaur176

allosaur176 Sr Member

Yep, exactly what I was doing :)

I'm not sure whether or not I like the activator switch... Is it easy to switch it on using 1 finger?? or do you think it should be a "push" button???

27. kalkamel

kalkamel Sr Member

28. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

The Hasbro toy had a push button. I kept turning it off twirling and "fighting" my buddy's son with it. Bad idea. I'm hoping the dial activator won't be so easey to inadvertently turn off.

I looked over the review KalKamel linked too. I'll read it in detail later. It looks like MR found a good solution for the buttons not lining up. That was a major sticking point for some folks in another thread.

29. cocomonk22

cocomonk22 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I don't think Darth Maul would have lasted as long as he did with a lightsaber like that. :p
    In the movie, he activates both sides of the lightsaber, one after the other. With the gloves he wears, he probably has a better grip to turn the dials that activate each blade.

30. azuma

azuma New Member

I got mine a few days ago. Just wanna remind that if you wanna connect both battle damaged sabers together to make one darth maul lightsber, you might wanna take out one of the PDA knob on one end of the saber, so that will look more screen accurated.

Azuma

31. azuma

azuma New Member

I believe the emitter is made of plastic, the color look different than the rest of the parts, and it is piece part unlike the other fan-made Maul lightsber which have the fins attched to the emitter... (the ones I have are like that)

Azuma