Darth Malgus Lightsaber

guabe

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello guys, i just wanted to show you my Darth Malgus lightsaber. I made this as close as possible to the lightsaber seen on the bioware's cinematic trailers from The old republic game.

Reference rendered image from Blur Studios (they made the cinematic trailers for bioware):
d267afa5.png

Pics galore:
72257419.jpg

c29910fd.jpg

cc72f11c.jpg

17a93d32.jpg

6190cbed.jpg

d48d5cae.jpg

2bfde1dc.jpg

d1d660e0.jpg

5800cf47.jpg

Here is a quick demo video of the saber:
Darth Malgus Lightsaber demo - YouTube

Specs:

- Crystal Focus 6 soundboard
- 10W LEdengin Deep Red (full power configuration)
- 2W bass speaker
- 7.4 Li-Ion battery pack (18500's)
- 2.1mm Recharge port
- Illuminated Anti Vandal Main switch
- Momentary Auxiliary switch
- R.I.C.E. port (connects the saber to the PC for tweaking on the fly)

Soundfont selection:
- Korriban (madcow)
- Vader OT (madcow)
- Blackstar (novastar)
- TOR: Darkness returns (nightstorm)
- TOR: Malign (nightstorm)
- TOR: Treachery (nightstorm)

Construction:

It has a mixture of The Custom Saber shop (TCSS) MHS components, Ultrasabers emitter and square pommel, and custom made parts. The emitter is the standard size blades from the Malice lightsaber from Ultrsabers, just slightly modified (painted). the pommel has been heavily modified by machining down some areas and adding a custom made Sleeve that I 3d printed (thanks to the fx saber forum guys that recommended it). The main body is mostly TCSS components, inclugin electronics from Plecter labs. It has a leather grip to give it some character. The control box is not seen on the original render, but for making this saber fully functional i had to trade off screen accuracy for fun.

I also adapted this tool box for safekeeping the saber.
1a76d2ab.png

So hope you guys like it, feel free to share thoughts and comments.

Great looking saber. I Also like your custom blade plug. I haven't been in the lightsaber game long,but I haven't come across too many variations in blade plugs,even simplistic designs. Everyone seems to be content with just TCSS or Ultrasabers style ones. I was thinking of dressing up a plain saber for my kid with a leather wrapped handle, Is there a certain material you recommend using to tie it with or any pointers?

Great looking saber. I Also like your custom blade plug. I haven't been in the lightsaber game long,but I haven't come across too many variations in blade plugs,even simplistic designs. Everyone seems to be content with just TCSS or Ultrasabers style ones. I was thinking of dressing up a plain saber for my kid with a leather wrapped handle, Is there a certain material you recommend using to tie it with or any pointers?

I use lamb skin leather because its very very soft, you can get it at michaels and for the tie, they also sell leather yarn. To tie it with i found a tutorial on youtube but i don't remember the name of the knot.

ill see if i can find it.

Thanks for the kind words.

@guabe - thanks for the info! I was thinking of using a dark crocodile pattern embossed leather to simulate like a rancor hide or something,I've seen others use it, and it looks pretty cool.

Hehe ARKM, man! you are on top of it :D I just mentioned blade plug and there ya were,hehe. I've been trying to get into the FX Sabers forum but not sure if I'm not using appropriate name to sign up or what. Other forums won't let me use (Schlitzie) like it's a curse word or something. Anyways, not to hijack thread...Love that it has it's own carrying case,it's like you're a sith hitman! :D

Last edited:
I like the term Stih hitman LOL... i brought it to work one day and it felt like that hahahah.

Thanks.. and regarding the croc pattern leather, now that i think about it it will be easier to wrap it because the soft leather gives inn too much, in the end you wont have a very straight line when you tie up the wrap. stiffer leathers might look better.

holy smokes! that is freaken awesome nice build! at first I wasn't a big fan of this saber but you have changed my mind, may have to pick one up myself in the future :)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back