Darth Malgus Costume W.I.P.

really impressed with the planning here, with no detail spared, if your going to go throught the effort you want to do it right, I cant wait to see photos

When I saw sideshows full size replica of him I went searching for his armour that is going to be insane when its done. BE sure to be extra heavy on the photos

Hey brother, first off nice work!!! Your detail is amazing. A few suggestions.
1) on the soft armor, thighs and such, try using weather stripping! Most can be bought with pre-glued backs.
2) To keep the mask on, there is a makeup glue for putting hair on your face. That should work.

I'm about to start working on Malgus as well. If you don't mind I'll probably be contacting you for help/advice!

Yet again nice work!!!

Well, I was planning to get things done for Star Wars Celebration VI... unfortunately, that isn't happening. This costume will still be done, but it will be started after I return home.

For those of you looking for the lightsaber, though, I would suggest The Malice by Ultrasabers.

So, I got a notification today from someone over on the hacked site. It said the following:

I believe that the poster is referring to the image of the lightsaber that you can find on the first page of this topic. There is only one small problem with his claim, though.

The picture created by the artist James Villanueva is an unmodified version of the picture he created of a Lucasfilm, Limited and Bioware copyrighted intellectual property. The artist and artist's contact information (the url) are located on the image thus correctly sourcing it. I have not claimed to be the creator of the image nor have I modified the image from it's original copyrighted source (to include the watermark). I am using it for an educational endeavor, as well. Thus, it is not a violation of copyright law any more than siting a similar work in an essay or novel and giving it full sourcing.

According to FL-102, 2009, unless and until he can provide permission obtained through Lucasfilm, Limited or Bioware that gives him permission to recreate their intellectual property; because I have left the sourcing, author, and date data intact in the original image; and it was found through an open internet search of public sites; the picture will remain in use. If he can provide the information requested, then I will remove the image.

Finally, it should be noted that that site has been hacked and is no longer under the use of its intended purpose. Thus, I do not have the adequate permissions to modify my posts on this site.

My god you are a petty little ****... I have known the TheRPF was going down hill for some time and toddlers like you stamping their feet about intellectual property and the "well he did it first" just goes to prove it. Just because something comes up on google doesn't remove the right of an artist to protect their work. If you don't think this is true try using one of Brian Froud's images, all on google as an icon or ref image and see how quick your arse ends up in court.

The artist asked you to remove it... so the right thing to do is remove it :facepalm

2) To keep the mask on, there is a makeup glue for putting hair on your face. That should work.

There was a guy at C6 in the Dark Empire booth who had a Malgus. His mask was brilliant. He used coil springs running from the facemask just under the ear to a plate in the back of the head to keep the mask secured to his jawline/neck. As he'd turn his head, the spring would expand slightly and keep the mask afixed to where it should be.

As an anchor point for the breath-mask portion, he put a strip of Moleskin on his nose (as if it were a breathe-right strip) and the lip of the mask rested on that. With the tension springs keeping the mask together, having the nose anchor point was key. Kept things pretty secure, it seemed.

Something I'm bound to try when I get around to making the mask.

There was a guy at C6 in the Dark Empire booth who had a Malgus. His mask was brilliant. He used coil springs running from the facemask just under the ear to a plate in the back of the head to keep the mask secured to his jawline/neck. As he'd turn his head, the spring would expand slightly and keep the mask afixed to where it should be.

As an anchor point for the breath-mask portion, he put a strip of Moleskin on his nose (as if it were a breathe-right strip) and the lip of the mask rested on that. With the tension springs keeping the mask together, having the nose anchor point was key. Kept things pretty secure, it seemed.

Something I'm bound to try when I get around to making the mask.
I saw that... I've sent a PM to him on the TDE site (I'm an admin over there) to get a diagram/parts list. Definitely going to use that once I pep the mask out. Definitely a brilliant design.

----------

Just because something comes up on google doesn't remove the right of an artist to protect their work. If you don't think this is true try using one of Brian Froud's images, all on google as an icon or ref image and see how quick your arse ends up in court.

The artist asked you to remove it... so the right thing to do is remove it
As a well-published author, I am quite aware of copyright and intellectual property laws. You, however, are using a strawman argument. Mr. Froud draws his own artwork. He does not redraw the artwork of others.

The lightsaber art doesn't belong to Mr. Villanueva. It actually belongs to Bioware. Technically, he stole the art from them and then redrew it claiming it as his own. If you notice from the image, nowhere does it credit Bioware, LFL, or Alessandro Balderasseroni (the original creator).

Oh, and before you go jumping to conclusions, the artist didn't "ask me to remove it." A PM was sent to a hacked site by someone who could not prove they were who they said they were.

I received a similar request here and sent them the same response. They did not own the artwork and to claim so was actually a copyright violation.

Now that that's out of the way, back to the count-down.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back