Darkside501st's Iron Man/Tony Stark Gauntlet and Arc Ractor Project

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by darkside501st, Nov 2, 2011.

1. darkside501st

darkside501st Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hello everyone,
    I have been learning a lot from all you folks on the RPF and a few other sites like the 405th. I just wanted to say thank you to everyone on here for sharing your builds and information openly and freely. So to show my appreciation I feel that I have learned enough to contribute back a little. This is my first thread detailing one of my builds.

I started planning and putting this project together for Halloween about 3 months ago. This is the first time I have ever done anything like this. I want to build a complete suit and thought this would be a good test. I have been a member of the 501st Legion for a while and have put together a few soft costumes. I have an Anakin Ep III, Will Turner AWE, my Captain Mal is almost done, my Dread Pirate Roberts is almost done, and I have a couple of vampire costumes but I have never attempted anything like this till now.

So the scene in Iron Man where Tony Stark is testing his prototype repulsor was kind of the inspiration for my costume:

[​IMG]

I went with a more finished look with the completed gauntlet instead of all the parts showing (oh my goodness).

This project started out from 110lb cardstock. I used Dancin_Fool's forearm unfolded by DF Darkness, Dancin_Fool's handplate unfolded by STEALTH, and Zabana's hand files. Thanks you guys for sharing these awesome files! I wont bore you all with how to make pepakura... there are plenty of resources out there... I know cause I learned from them. However, if anyone has any questions then feel free to ask them or to PM me.

I built the pieces, hardened them with resin, fiberglassed the inside and covered the outside in Bondo. Then came a lot of sanding, more Bondo, more sanding, more bondo, more... well you get the idea. By this time Halloween is right around the corner and I am feeling the heat to get this done. I didn't spend quite as much time in the smoothing and shaping stage as I would have like to but I think they came out pretty good. Then came the paining... with only a week till Halloween I didn't have much time for this stage and unfortunately it was raining pretty much all week. I had to paint it... I think it could have turned out a little cleaner with the right weather, but alas, it was not meant to be... this time.

I found that one of the more challenging parts of building a costume like this is fitting everything together and getting it to work properly. Some areas on this build that reflect that are fitting the upper and lower forearm pieces together, attaching the back hand piece and the palm to each other, sticking the handplate to the back hand piece, and the most challenging was stringing the finger pieces together.

I used velcro on the forearm and a small hinge and pin system on the palm/back hand. I had some trouble putting the handplate and the back hand together. I was originally going to try a spring loaded hinge (a good suggestion by Surreal Studios) but it didn't work for me. I ended up going a much simpler route and used a hinge at the top of the handplate and an elastic band toward the bottom which very easily wrapped under the back of the back-hand piece. In the movie they cast the finger pieces which made them thicker so they were able to drill holes in them and string them together with wire. With the pepakura pieces being much thinner I had to think of something else. I came across these small diameter brass tubes at Ace Hardware and snagged them. Fishing wire is a perfect fit. So I cut small lengths of the tubes to fit inside the finger pieces and epoxied them in then I ran fishing line through the tubes with a knot at the tip and base of the finger. Then I sewed the fishing lines to the glove I made. This turned out to be a really good solution.

I also made a little circuit using simple components that flashes the repulsor light on and the fades it out slowly. Here are some pics from the build... I didn't take as many as I would have liked to... I worked straight through the finishing stage due to the time crunch and I didn't stop to sleep, eat, or take pictures, lol.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Now for the arc reactor... I made this out of many different things. First the outer cylinder is made from PVC pipe and shaped to the contour of my chest. I designed and acid-etched the PCB from a copper clad board then soldered 21 5050 SMD LEDs and 21 resistors to the PCB. For the center piece I used a LED G4 automotive replacement 'bulb' which is actually a disc about 30mm wide with 12 more 5050 SMD LEDs. I used the same G4 disc on the repulsor light. I sculpted the light ring and the coils then made molds and casts of the pieces. I used a clear polyester resin for the light ring which I tinted to the 'coke bottle green' color you see in the movie arc reactors. The other parts were made from abs plastic and brass bits n' bobs. I had to cut a few corners to have this ready for Halloween so the metal disc on top of the coils doesn't have the carved details yet and I didn't get a chance to add gold paint to the coils yet. I plan on going back to finish this costume properly soon... I cant stand leaving something like this alone... it has to be done right. I guess that's my CDO at work (that's OCD in alphabetical order BTW). Anyways, here are some pics of the arc reactor as of now.

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

I entered a local costume contest and took home first place and won a little plastic trophy and a $100 cash prize!

More WIP pics

Let me know what you all think... keep in mind that this is my first build of this caliber and my first attempt at several things like making a pcb and molding and casting pieces. So be gentle but if you think you have something to say that I can learn from then I am more than willing to listen.

Also, a few of my local friends in the 501st like my arc reactor and want me to make them one too. I have plans for a lower profile, self contained design (minus the 3.5 audio jacks). If any of you would be interested let me know.

Here's a short video:
    [​IMG]

Final result:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
    Tstark likes this.
  2. kayo00

kayo00 Member

Re: Iron Man/Tonk Stark Gauntlet and Arc Ractor for Halloween

WOW!!!!!THIS IS SO AWESOME!!!!!good job!!!

3. j0wE

j0wE Well-Known Member

put up an interest thread in the junkyard, I'd love to see more detailed pics of the arc. Interested pending cost also

4. SemperBourne

SemperBourne Active Member

great arc man..That looks crazy.

5. Zabana

Zabana Well-Known Member

Wow Man!!! It´s an amazing job done ;)

6. darkside501st

Thanks, guys... I will be taking more detailed pics... Like I said I had to finish it real quick for Halloween so I have to go back a fix/upgrade a couple of things. Then I will take some more pics.

I will figure out an approximate cost per unit and give you some specs on my lower profile self contained design. The price will depend on how many people are interested... as always. I will have to order some more supplies and the more I order the cheaper it will be per unit/volume. My arc design was inspired by the Mk II unit:

Mini Arc Reactor movie prop from Iron Man | Marvel.com

7. Zabana

Zabana Well-Known Member

I love your idea to close the glove, can you post pics in detail of it? ;)

8. darkside501st

Sure I will take more pics when I get home.

9. Surreal Studios

Surreal Studios Well-Known Member

Excellent work, nice crisp and clean, and your arc is great!!

10. Kevin Gossett

Kevin Gossett Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very nicely done!

11. canusracing

canusracing Member

I would love to get a copy of the plans you used for the arc reactor. Also you said you used g4 replacement bulbs for the palms... Is g4 the bulb number? How did you mount and wire the LEDs? I'm just trying to get some more information for my own build

12. j0wE

j0wE Well-Known Member

g4 is the bulb type

13. canusracing

canusracing Member

14. MykiiAmore

MykiiAmore Well-Known Member

Holy Laser Beams Batman!
    That is freaking sweet. A masterpiece.
    I'm now jealous!

15. SonOfPumpkinhead

SonOfPumpkinhead Sr Member

This ended up looking FANTASTIC!!!

16. ROBOSTEVE 0671

ROBOSTEVE 0671 Sr Member

Great work Mike, very smooth! :thumbsup

17. Venjix

Venjix Well-Known Member

I love the gauntlet. Looks legit!

18. darkside501st

Wow, thank you all for you compliments. I am glad to see that you like it.

The 'plans' I have were addapted for the LEDs and resistors I am using. It is basically just a circular circuit board with a hole cut in the middle wear I mounted the G4 LED disc. They come in all sorts of arrangements with anywhere from 6 to 15 5050 LEDs or up to 24 3528 LEDs. Some of them run on ac voltage but most are designed for autos or boats and run on 12v. Just look for the pure white not the warm white. I don't know if you will find them in an auto shop like Autozone or Pepboys... you might but you can get them a lot cheaper off ebay. The ones I ordered look similar to this:
    http://upload.ecvv.com/upload/Product/20116/China_G4_LED20116241437513.jpg

The LEDs were surface-mounted on my pcb with solder... you dont have to glue them down or anything.

I have uploaded some more pics and a little video I did of the finger articulation using the brass tubes. Zabana, I have taken some pics of the hinge/pin system on my glove. I also took a couple more pics of the arc reactor as it is right now... like I said before I am going to go back a clean it up a bit and add some more detail to it. Here you go:

More Pictures of my project and construction details

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  19. Zabana

Zabana Well-Known Member

I saw it all, now I can understand how you told me you did it!!!

It´s a very good building! Good luck with the full suit!

20. Zendragon

Zendragon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Outstanding. Totally interested in an Arc

21. wrroca

wrroca New Member

wow.. very realistic, when fully completed will be the best .. great job

22. indiefilmgeek

indiefilmgeek Sr Member

Great job! I love the details and how clean everything looks!

23. darkside501st

Re: Iron Man/Tony Stark Gauntlet and Arc Ractor for Halloween

This is what I am thinking about for a self contained arc reactor:

It will use 4 coin cell batteries that can be easily replaced from the back side without having to take the whole thing apart. It will either be turned on via a reed switch and a magnet so that it is completely hidden or by a slide switch on the bottom so that it is mostly hidden. I have to check on that.

I would like to fit in the brass rings under the coils but the LEDs need room to diffuse their light so I will have to experiment with that.

The back will be contoured to the shape of a chest... since everyones chest is different you may have to modify the shape a little with a dremel or some sand paper to get it to fit you correctly. However, there will be some room for sanding it to a custom fit if you have a flat chest or big huge pecks, lol.

In case you are not aware I used spirit gum to stick the arc reactor to my chest. Just around the outside ring is all you need. I have heard that silicone adhesives (like Telesis 5) are better and wont break down with sweat. The spirit gum is cheap, though, and readily available. Mine held up for several hours. However, if you have the LEDs on the whole time they get warm... not hot, just warm (feels good actually) and that may cause you to perspire a little under the arc reactor since your skin there is not getting any air.

I kind of figured out the cost to make these... The cost will depend on how many people are interested and other things like the reed switch or the slide switch. I am also thinking of a design for a removable 'core'. If I do that, you would be able to twist the core and remove it from the housing. Kind of a cool effect. So let me know what you like or don't like and maybe we can change it or maybe I can offer options to make this affordable for everyone.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  24. j0wE

j0wE Well-Known Member

ebay is probably easier, it's a european bulb type

25. canusracing

canusracing Member

26. jayjayn

jayjayn Well-Known Member

Amazing BUILD.. i will definitely be in for a arc.. in regarding the g4's i was going to do the same but they ran 12volts i didn't think the 4 coin cell batteries would last long to powering the arc.. have u tested how long it lasts?

27. darkside501st

I haven't tested it yet... I will though before ordering in bulk. The estimated math says it should last a few hours but it is hard to find exact specs on the LED setup. The coin battery I am going with has about 650Mah. There are some that go up to 1000Mah but they are thicker and about 2 - 3 times as expensive. You could replace the 650Mah batteries halfway through your 5 hour costume excursion and still be ahead of the game. It is always possible to go with an external power source but then you will have a wire running to your battery pack.

They also offer rechargeable coin cell batteries but they have a faster discharge rate. You could save on cost in the long run but you will probably change the batteries 2 times in the same 5 hour period so you would have to have 3 sets of 4 rechargeable coin batteries for continuous use. The price I give includes a set of batteries.

If anyone is interested I could also wire in a connector so that you have the option of using the coin cell batteries or an external battery pack. I would have to make it small as to avoid increasing the depth of the arc reactor.

As far as the diameter goes... what is your opinion on that... I have read that a lot of people make their arc reactors 4 in wide... the one I made is 3.5 in wide. I didn't think that the 4 in reactor looked right for someone who is the same size as Robert Downey Jr. Now if you are like 6ft or taller then the 4 in reactor might look better on you. Opinions?

28. Skruffy

Skruffy Active Member

Any more movement toward doing a run of these? I would still LOVE to get my hands on one.

FWIW, I think the 4 inches is a more accurate size, though the 3.5 on you also looked good. If you can make them 4 inches without too much extra effort, that would have my vote. But if it's a matter or re-making much of what you already have created, then stick with the 3.5.

29. darkside501st

Yeah, this is a very busy time of year for me with all the holidays and family coming and going plus my wife is a photographer and this is her busiest season so I am stuck watching our 3 kids quite a bit.

I am still planning to do a run of these. First, since the 'prototype' was rushed for Halloween, I need to go back and clean it up a bit and actually finish it. Then I will show everyone the final product and post an interest thread. I can do a 4" version if enough people vote for it. I think I would do either the 3.5" or the 4" though, not both.

Like I said there are some opinions out there that the arc reactor is 4", including the housing; however, all of the ones I saw on someones chest looked too big. I am not sure what made people think it was 4". I took a pic of myself and supper impossed it over a picture of Tony Stark and the 3.5" is right for me. I think it would be right for anyone else about Robert Downey Jr.'s size (5'8") with a medium build. If you are a large person (6' plus) with a big chest then the 4" would probably look better on you.

So anyways, just subscribe to this thread and I will post back here when I get some time to finish this up. Thanks for your interest.

30. HatsuneMiku

HatsuneMiku Guest

Whoa!
    Awesome.
    <3

31. darkside501st

Thank you, I want to build the whole suit next... it is quite an undertaking though.

32. Anakinos

Anakinos Well-Known Member

Great Job Mike. This is awesome. I am following this, outstanding work. You always do it top notch.

33. darkside501st

Thanks man... I don't think we have greeted each other on the RPF yet, I am sure I know you from the Sons of the Suns forum. But I haven't been able to get that forum to open in my browser... is it down for good?

34. pRoJectEarth7

pRoJectEarth7 Well-Known Member

Man your arc reactor build really made me smile:)... as if I'm looking at the arc reactor I build 7 months ago... almost exactly the same...:D

-It is powered by watch batteries 3 x 1.5V
    -2 color LED's installed (blue and red)

Here... let me show you why it made me smile...:)
    (not to threadjack or anything... if you dont like the pics posted, I will remove it... just kindly let me know)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I guess its true what they say... "great minds, think alike" :D:thumbsup

cheers!

35. darkside501st

That's a pretty good looking custom arc reactor. Good job, definitely one of the better ones I have seen.

I went with pure white LEDs cause I felt that they gave a better movie accurate appearance when compared to the blue LEDs. I was going for an arc reactor as close to the mark 2 reactor as possible. I measured the width of each component to make them as close to the real deal as possible. Also with the 5050 LEDs (33) it is supper bright and gives off as much light as the one in the movie. ;)

I like the decorative ring on the outside of yours... what is it/where did you get it?

I can't wait to get mine finished up and show everyone the final result.

36. pRoJectEarth7

Thanks darkside...:):thumbsup

You're right about the white LED being more screen accurate and wow!... you really dig deep on the details of your arc... but with so much LED the battery wont last long:confused... is it? :confused

The decorative ring is actually a plumbing material I just picked up from our local hardware store... I really dont know what its called... I guess I need to check it again...:)... however, I just made the details (slit mark) on it using file...

Btw, I am making a new arc reactor (Ironman2 version)... here it is...
    [​IMG]

Its not yet finished but its getting there...

Same as you, am so excited to finally finish this baby...:love:thumbsup

cheers!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  37. STEALTH

STEALTH Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

:lol such a hijack RJ lol...

38. pRoJectEarth7

Oooops:behave... sorry:angel... I will remove it then...

ITS DONE:thumbsup

39. PlatinumPatriot

PlatinumPatriot New Member

The glove looks like it fits very well.

Can you close your fingers and make a FIST, or do your fingers stick up a little?

- Mine stuck out, I couldnt close my fingers into a PUNCHING-FIST.

40. darkside501st

With so much added thickness on the fingers and the palm you cannot make a fist the same way you would if you were just wearing a leather glove but I can make a sort of fist and if this were made of real metal it wouldn't mater cause the person getting hit with the 'half' fist would be hurting like hell. lol, actually, even the resin glove would hurt. Although, I don't think I could take on the Iron Monger with it. :lol

41. jackieisrockin

jackieisrockin Well-Known Member

Woah looks good! Love the RT!

42. darkside501st

Thanks, I will be building a full suit next. I am working on the pep files for the new Mk VII right now.

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  43. Iron Dude

Iron Dude New Member

AWESOME!!
    i wish i knew how to do that to my repulsors

44. darkside501st

Thanks. It took a lot of research and some trial and error to get it right. I am adding sound to it this weekend.

I might have a surprise for everyone soon.

45. erictank

erictank Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Could I trouble you for some construction details on the circuit board? I've never done a custom board, and would like to know what's involved in doing one the way you did.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  46. darkside501st

Yeah, what I did was acid etch the design on a blank board. You have to have special materials to do this. There are many tutorials out there including some very good ones on the instructables website.

Basically, I drew a picture in photoshop of the tracks then printed it out on magazine paper using a laser jet printer. Then I transfered the ink to the blank board with an iron. Once the ink is on the copper clad board you soak it in a special acid/peroxide mixture and the exposed copper will be dissolved by the acid leaving only the desired tracks behind. Then you solder on all the parts and call it a day.

If you decide to do this make sure that there is no metal anywhere else around your work area and do not dispose of the acid when done... you can reuse it on future projects. Make sure you store it in an airtight bottle or it will evaporate and rust all the metal in the room. If you need to dispose of it then look up the proper environmental way of disposing of the acid.

PS- an easier route would be to use copper wire or just order some 'angel eyes' off ebay.

47. theoriginal MK1

theoriginal MK1 New Member

wheres the download files for them?

48. darkside501st

The download for what? The Mark III pepakura files I used?

49. oracle1982

oracle1982 Active Member

Simple yet affective... Sweeeeet job man :)

50. sjorsjo91

sjorsjo91 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Please tell me there will be a reasonably priced run of these.
    It looks amazing.