Dark Star

samster27

Has anyone built the scout ship Dark Star and therefore have detailed blueprints available?

I guess there would also need to be an accompanying list of kits required to detail it with.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Only thing I've seen is the small sketch Ron Cobb did showing Dark Star with gear. As I recall, it was a Greg Jein creation and while maybe it was based on some Ron Cobb stuff, I doubt it had any detailed blueprints made. At least there was a three view, which formed the basis of the damage schematic Talby looked at in the film.

As for a Studio Scale Dark Star, I've never seen one. But, there should still be a Dark Star Bomb build somebody did here a couple years ago (an SS build, using as many of the original kit parts as possible). I suppose maybe the Dark Star is scaled to that, but it would be a BIG model if that were the case. So I have a feeling the open bomb bay was a large section model, unless of course Greg Jein really did make the ship that big. I've never seen a shopping list for kitbash bits used either.

Only thing I've seen is the small sketch Ron Cobb did showing Dark Star with gear. As I recall, it was a Greg Jein creation and while maybe it was based on some Ron Cobb stuff, I doubt it had any detailed blueprints made. At least there was a three view, which formed the basis of the damage schematic Talby looked at in the film.

From Ron Cobb's interview in Fantastic Films #9, July 1979:

"we sat down at the same House of Pancakes and drew up kind of a re-entry shell. Dan said "That's it, that's it! Could you give us three views of that by tomorrow morning?" I said "Sure." I went home and I drew up a little plan of it which I still have and Dan had a beautiful model made and off it went."

:)

Here's the 3-view. Greg Jein described the model in Cinefex, issue 2 or 3. It was made from foam, cut and sanded to shape, then covered in fiberglass.

With landing gear...

Untitled-3.jpg

I have this.

There was this "model" company back in the day called S.F.M.A, they did a bunch of Vac-formed spaceship.

This is about 6" long Dark Star.

Very rare to see any model of this ship.

darkstar.jpg

I've got that vac kit along with a tiny white metal one (Comet Miniatures I believe might have done it). The best Dark Star kit to get right now IMHO is a resin one from Stargazer models. It is 9 1/4" long and according to the instructions scales to 1/288 scale. I've got one and it is not bad at all (certainly better than the SFMA vac, which is a bit bloated in spots).

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back