Dark side multi build WIP (1/72 TIE Advanced x1, 1/144 TIE Striker & combat assault tanks)

JNordgren42

Sr Member
I've started building my 1/72 TIE Advanced x1 and the Imperial contingent of my 1/144 Rogue One U-Wing set (TIE Striker and Imperial combat assault tanks). My hobby shop was out of both Tamiya rattle can Fine Surface Primer and Mr. Surfacer 1500, so I'm trying out a new product: Modo* MK-11 Surfacer (lacquer based). Because it's new to me I started out with just one of the tanks to make sure there were no issues. It dries exceedingly fast, and came out very grainy on my first try. I knocked the grainy dusty paint of with a soft stiff bristled brush and tried again with a little more thinner, a little less air pressure, and keeping the airbrush tip closer to the subject. This time I was very happy with the result, so I sprayed the other tank and the cockpit parts of the TIE Advanced and the Vader figure. Now that I have it dialed in, I'm really happy with the product. It builds up very evenly, covers very well, and does a great job of preserving fine details without building up in the cracks and corners.

The signature "taking a constitutional" Bandai figure pose...
20210405_204957.jpg

The Modo* MK-11 surfacer had no problems with the extremely fine details on the kyber cristal containers for the tanks.
20210405_205131.jpg

20210405_205139.jpg

Tanks also showing reat details.
20210405_205011.jpg

Last edited:
It is very misleading how small those tanks are compared to the size they appear in your pictures

That primer did a great job of bringing out those details

It is very misleading how small those tanks are compared to the size they appear in your pictures

That primer did a great job of bringing out those details
Yeah, I'm very happy with how it performs. Especially with Mr. Leveling Thinner instead of regular lacquer thinner. I sprayed the TIE Striker last night and it came out great even on the solar collector screen on the wings. I also sprayed a Mr. Color gloss black base coat on Vader and the same for an undercoat on the tanks and it goes over it really well. They also make it in white (MK-13) and black (MK-12), I'll probably pick some of both up next hobby shop trip.

I made some Progress on Vader's TIE. The cockpit is complete and the body is all put together and buttoned up. Everything has been primed and it's on to painting.

On another note, I framed and hung my JPL space travel prints and some gorgeous lithographs of the space shuttle as well as my shuttle mission pins. The shuttle stuff is from my grandfather, who was an engineer at Rockwell on the shuttle project. They're probably my most cherished possessions and bring back great memories if him whenever I look at them. I'm ecstatic to have them finally up and displayed.

20210410_162148.jpg

20210410_162251.jpg

20210410_195458.jpg

20210410_195521.jpg

20210410_195533.jpg

And some pics of my office and the prints.
20210410_135126.jpg

20210410_134812.jpg

20210410_134616.jpg

20210410_134846.jpg

20210410_134914.jpg

20210410_134938.jpg

20210410_135014.jpg

20210410_134958.jpg

20210410_135105.jpg

The main grey color is sprayed on the Advanced and the body of the Striker and the solar panel color is sprayed on the Striker's wings (I'm doing the panel colors in the opposite order to make it easier to mask). I added a little grey to the black for the panels so I have someplace to go when weathering.

20210411_210928.jpg

20210411_210936.jpg

20210411_211121.jpg

20210411_211144.jpg

For anyone following along who has built the x1 and sprayed the paint, what strategy did you use for masking? I thought it would be easier to paint the grey and then mask and do the black, but all of the greeblies close to the edges of the panels are proving to be problematic. I spent 3 hours last night working on masking it out and didn't even finish one wing. And I'm also concerned about not getting it down tight over some of the greeblies (especially around the hexagonal connection area on the inner surface). I'm thinking it might be better to just spray the black and then mask it off and clean up the grey. I'll need to make sure the tape edges are burnished down really well, but I'm hoping it will go better.

For anyone following along who has built the x1 and sprayed the paint, what strategy did you use for masking? I thought it would be easier to paint the grey and then mask and do the black, but all of the greeblies close to the edges of the panels are proving to be problematic. I spent 3 hours last night working on masking it out and didn't even finish one wing. And I'm also concerned about not getting it down tight over some of the greeblies (especially around the hexagonal connection area on the inner surface). I'm thinking it might be better to just spray the black and then mask it off and clean up the grey. I'll need to make sure the tape edges are burnished down really well, but I'm hoping it will go better.

Lovely work! Thats a Bandai kit?

Just looking at it I would be doing the black first, then mask for the grey.
Cheers,
Josh

Lovely work! Thats a Bandai kit?

Just looking at it I would be doing the black first, then mask for the grey.
Cheers,
Josh
Thanks! And yep, it's the Bandai. I decided to switch up my plan and do the black first. While I was at it I decided to go ahead and preshade the body. I'll have to redo the grey, but I think it will be worth it since there is almost no variation in color otherwise. Hopefully it will ad a bit of depth to it.

20210413_213901.jpg

20210413_213915.jpg

I've been in masking hell the last two nights. I managed to get one wing completely masked off and I plan on finishing the other and spraying the grey (again) this weekend. I don't think switching up my paint order has made anything quicker or easier in the end, but the shading should be worth it.

20210415_225821.jpg

I've been in masking hell the last two nights. I managed to get one wing completely masked off and I plan on finishing the other and spraying the grey (again) this weekend. I don't think switching up my paint order has made anything quicker or easier in the end, but the shading should be worth it.

View attachment 1447556
Special tapes are only really required when masking a line on a flat surface.
Something like this where you have a defined edge to mask to bleeds and masking edges are not an issue so dont require fineline or special tape. Just do a bulk quick tape over the entire area, push the tape down firmly and run a blade along the edge and pull the excess tape off. Both those panels should be masked out in under 10 minutes.
Cheers,
Josh

Special tapes are only really required when masking a line on a flat surface.
Something like this where you have a defined edge to mask to bleeds and masking edges are not an issue so dont require fineline or special tape. Just do a bulk quick tape over the entire area, push the tape down firmly and run a blade along the edge and pull the excess tape off. Both those panels should be masked out in under 10 minutes.
Cheers,
Josh
I'm a little anal about masking (well, just about everything if I'm being honest). I've found that I quite like the Bandai sticker material. It's got just the right amount of adhesion, is fairly flexible, and gives a fantastic edge. I'm sure it's overkill for something like this, but I was worried about the tape lifting or otherwise not conforming correctly on the tiny ridges at the edges of the panels. :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back