Dark Rey Lightsaber - Aluminium [Many Photos]

alexbailey

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This is a work in progress, only one side so far, some parts will be in the finished piece, others are just placeholders to check the scale.

All in aluminium so far, that could change as I continue, may use stainless for some specific parts.

The central hinge is a bought part.

IMG_0309.jpg
IMG_0310.jpg

M10x1.5 threaded rod runs through the whole piece, the part that connects to the hinge is tap M10 to lock the thread rod. A nut at the other end keeps the whole together - the nut is temporary until I make the end parts.

IMG_0312.jpg
IMG_0313.jpg

Done some more work on it, in between actual real work.

One side of the hinge mounted using two M5 bolt - will change to black bolts.

IMG_0352.jpeg
IMG_0350.jpeg

Other side is thread milled to M30x1.5 to fit in the other side of the hinge and then locked up against a set screw. The set screw is a pretty dodgy solution, but it's fine for this application.

IMG_0345.jpeg
IMG_0346.jpeg
IMG_0347.jpeg

Also replaced the placeholder part I was using for scale with an actual finished part.

IMG_0348.jpeg
IMG_0349.jpeg

Completed another piece, unfortunately rather slow progress.

IMG_0551.jpg

This piece is made in 303 Stainless, will enable me to get the blowtorch on it to get the heating effect present on the original.

IMG_0553.jpg
IMG_0554.jpg

It is tapped M10, this part will lock all the other bits together, the outer tube will be locked underneath this part. there's not much clearance between the inner and the outer - its a bit fiddly.

i'm not sure how the original was held together there are quite a few bolt heads. Most of the bolt heads on my are just aesthetic. All the main parts are held together with the M10 threaded bar.

IMG_0552.jpg

Put the slot in the inner section and turned the outer section.

IMG_0007.jpg
IMG_0006.jpg

These parts were cut to length and then the groove was turned, will eventually be anodised red.

IMG_0099.jpg

I also finished the part to hold grooved parts, 12 of them sit around the central core. I believe on the original this was likely all one piece either 3D printed or cast, but for me this was the easiest solution and it give a adequate result.

IMG_0008.jpg
IMG_0010.jpeg
IMG_0011.jpeg

Very cool build, great solution for the grooves part, and awesome machine skills if it was done manually. Props for using the correct Hera stock mount, they are pricey.

Thanks, it was on a CNC, I'm very lucky to be able to access to one, after the real work has been done. I looked at making my own hinge but decided it would have been tricky, in the end decide to get the real thing.

Last edited:
After a bit of a break I have returned to this project. these are the end tubes. Stainless tube with some bar welded inside, then faced off the end to clean up the weld. Next step is to cut the angle and the slot.

IMG_0236.jpeg
IMG_0234.jpeg
IMG_0233.jpeg

Cut the profile on the end tube.

IMG_0519.jpeg
IMG_0520.jpeg

here's the whole end assembly, got to change the alignment as the slot in the inner piece is not lined up.

IMG_0517.jpeg

This is where I have got to with this project.

IMG_0603.jpeg

Added the grooves to the grip section, this a placeholder. The real ones, pictured below left, are waiting for red anodising. After anodising the outer diameter will be turned to final size leaving the grooves red and the outer bare aluminium. Grooves were cut using a custom tool (below right) I made on the mill. Made in tool steel, even without hardening is sufficient, to cut aluminium if you're gentle and don't have to do much cutting.

IMG_0604.jpeg
IMG_0605.jpeg

Also completed cutting the profile of these pieces, used the same technique as above cut a form tool, then turned the profile in one hit. These are slightly different on each side of the lightsaber, one side has an extra step which it red, but helpfully the rest of the profile appear to be identical. This is best illustrated in the CAD image below.

IMG_0610.jpeg
IMG_0598.jpeg

Screenshot 2022-01-02 at 16.20.59.png

A couple of in process shot show the cutting tool. Probably wouldn't want a profile any wider than this - 10mm. It's a large amount of cutting to do all in one go. I think this a pretty effective technique parts like this, I first used its extensively for the grip sections of Rey's Staff some while back.

IMG_0599.jpeg
IMG_0600.jpeg
IMG_0611.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back