Dark Rey Lightsaber - Aluminium [Many Photos]

alexbailey

Active Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Red parts back from anodising. The little pieces are a little patchy, I should drilled a hole down the centre to allow the anodiser to hold them better. However I can manage as most the part isn't visible and cover the rest up with weathering. Also the the colour is somewhat different with part in the 2nd and 3rd image, hoping to be able to making it look coherent with weathering.

IMG_0677.jpeg
IMG_0678.jpeg
IMG_0679.jpeg
 
Last edited:

alexbailey

Active Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have glued the 12 small parts round the central holder. I used some CA glue, probably should have used something less brittle. When I assembled the lightsaber for the first time it one popped out, sanding the high points off on a surface table, seemed to resolved this problem.

IMG_0731.jpeg
IMG_0732.jpeg


Next I have turned down the narrow handle pieces to leave the red anodising only in the grooves. Not much room for error, I was careful to ensure I didn't damage the anodising in the grooves.

IMG_0735.jpeg
IMG_0734.jpeg


Here is every I have completed so far assembled. It's coming along well, many things still to finish.

IMG_0727.jpeg


IMG_0729.jpeg
IMG_0730.jpeg
 

alexbailey

Active Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Completed the radial features on this piece, 8 - 1.6mm holes for M2 thread. Only did the drilling on the CNC. Decided to hand tap, slower but much safer. Machined the flat to receive a panel with button of some kind, drilled a 1.6mm hole, this is mostly a placeholder I haven't completely designed all the details on the button sections. The broad outline is finished so I feel confident machining features such as the flat and profile. At some point you have to start making parts, even if the whole design isn't totally finished. I feel it's useful to just start making some decisions even though they may not be the most perfect design solution.

IMG_0745.jpg
IMG_0743.jpg


An in process photo, probing the fixture before machining. Drilling the holes 8 of them, really 4 pairs of 2 holes.

IMG_0740.jpeg
IMG_0741.jpeg
 
Last edited:

alexbailey

Active Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Getting down to the fiddle little bits now, just some little modification to existing parts that had not yet been completed.

I have been working on parts circled in red below, where there is still the most to finish.

1.jpg


Put the cut out in this part the block with the buttons fit in the cut out. The tool on the right was used for this operation. 6mm with a 1.5mm radius. These components are now complete and have to be anodised black.

IMG_0895.jpeg
IMG_0894.jpeg
IMG_0893.jpeg


Cut a profile and drilled a hole in these parts. the profile is to receive the button panel

IMG_0898.jpeg
IMG_0897.jpeg
 
Last edited:

alexbailey

Active Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Cut groove in the end tube sections, had a little trouble get everything lined up and spinning correctly on the lathe, the tube a move and warped after cutting the slots and angle on the end.

IMG_1052.jpeg


Then I got the blow touch on these to get the heating effect, which I believe is painted on the originals. Likely because the real effect is subtle and many not show up well on camera.

IMG_1055.jpeg
IMG_1056.jpeg
 

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
Top