Dark Mechanicus Onager - a quick scratch build

mikoyan99

Just a quick project this one, but one that turned out a lot better than i'd hoped:

kHST9Ug.jpg

7susqcg.jpg

Bire4dP.jpg

kHSatLF.jpg

I have to admit, i'm very pleased with my rust effect this time.It's just stippled paint, building up from black to grey to brown to orangey red. It was built as a wargaming model, but i'm quite happy with it as a display piece in its own right. I think it makes quite a nice post-apocalypse piece.

It's a bit of a composite - the shell is scratch built from plasticard and plastic rod, but the legs are built from a games workshop defiler kit I had lying around.
-Matt

Thanks chaps; still surprised with how well this one came out. I think i'll build a second, along with some other odd war machines if I get time. Next time i'll do a step-by-step as well.
-Matt

Nice bug. I'd definitely put one on my desk

Thanks mate!
--------------------------------------

As i'm building a couple of others for my army, I thought i'd share the buld process this time, including the paint job (when I get round to it).

You'll need (beside the usual model making tools and glues):
Plasticard - 0.75 to 1mm thick
balsa wood
superglue
a chaos defiler, or similar spidery kit.

Start off by cutting 8 2cm wide, 15cm long strips from the plasticard:
rP1yzgH.jpg

Next, but a "core" from balsa plank to glue the strips to:
T5cxFmX.jpg

Glue the strips to the core, overlaying the next over the last to form a lobster armour effect. It'll help if you have a vice to hold them in place while they're drying:
KrqDoYi.jpg

8rnSgSD.jpg

Next, once the glue has dried, trim the ends flush and sand:
7bGkzlq.jpg

More to come!

In the meantime, this is the model in natural light:
wdtLh25.jpg

cCR1MHi.jpg

LrqwO8S.jpg

-Matt

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back