Dark Matter Blink Drive

interstait

Now that I have some free time, I've decided what I want to make as my first real prop project.

I'm trying to put together a replica of the blink drive used in Dark Matter (Season 2 & 3) I have some images I've pulled together, but I'm having trouble identifying the case. It looks like a Pelican type case, but it's rather thin and has what look like bumpers on the corners for protection. It appears to be gray, with black corners possibly.

The case in the images has had a custom piece of aluminum attached to the flat parts of the case...making it more challenging.

I'm including the photos I've gathered. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• DarkMatterCase01.png
    DarkMatterCase01.png
    314.4 KB · Views: 241
  • DarkMatterCase02.png
    DarkMatterCase02.png
    280.9 KB · Views: 240
  • DarkMatterCase03.png
    DarkMatterCase03.png
    405.8 KB · Views: 361
  • DarkMatterCase04.png
    DarkMatterCase04.png
    241.5 KB · Views: 237
  • DarkMatterCase05.jpg
    DarkMatterCase05.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 228
Looks custom made to me. I'ld say the corners are cut from another case (pelican type, maybe one of those smaller ones to hold sd cards and camera extra batteries) and attached to some slim suitcase, or maybe the main body parts are made from sheet metal to fit the corners (although that wouldn't explain the grey hinge in pic 05). It also makes me think of those rugged computers used by mechanics and the army, hollowed out or just a case to hold a regular laptop. Hope this give you some ideas and maybe somebody here knows the exact model! Good luck with the build: I love modified sci-fi cases and boxes and I know searching online for specific models is a pain... If I ever stumble on something similar I'll post it here ;)

Thanks! Yea, custom made crossed my mind. I just think unless they had to, they’d probably use something off the shelf. The bumpers look attached in the one photo, but some of the edges and the hinge look a little rough... like a bad cast.

I might not be able to get the exact thing either due to it being custom or it might be from some piece of equipment they had sitting around.

But I’d like to get as close as possible.

Thanks again for the quick reply.

Thanks.... that is one I came across as well. It is a forerunner at this point. I might have to settle with being close with the case. The interior is really what I would display anyway...

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it.

Thanks.... that is one I came across as well. It is a forerunner at this point. I might have to settle with being close with the case. The interior is really what I would display anyway...

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it.
No problem! I love me some Dark Matter. I identified several bases for the prop guns, but this was also on my list.

Yea, when I searched for Dark Matter on here, you came up a few times;-)

I’m finally finishing the show and when I saw the blink drive, I knew I had to give it a shot.

Wow! That looks like it could be it. Thanks for this! I really appreciate it.

QUOTE="Stansfield, post: 5082286, member: 699"]
according to some speculation online, the case was made from a contractor clipboard similar to this...

Clipboard
[/QUOTE]

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back